!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Molesworth Vale  (Read 4699 times)

Offline andy-sf

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Molesworth Vale
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2018, 11:54:40 pm »
Since my last post I've added some more plaster cloth on top of the remaining wire formers at the 'north' end and done some general smoothing out of these surfaces. In addition, I've been trying to make some progress on the river bed I mentioned in my last post. One of the problems that have arisen is that there are some track feeds that drop down in the middle of two of the bridges. Initially, I figured you would barely be able to see them, but this started to bother me so I decided to add some extra detail to the underside of the bridge structures to hide it. The general idea is that these will be structural beams that run under the rails along the length of the structure. The bridge closest to the front of the layout doesn't have these wiring complications and also has an easier sightline to the underside and so has full detailing beneath.

I created a couple of basic ladder structures out of some spare strips of plasticard I beams and C channels. It isn't perfect (and doesn't need to be) but definitely gives a bit more realism.

The other two bridges are made in exactly the same way, minus the crossbeams. These were then spray painted with a dark grey undercoat and will have some weathering powders brushed on once the river area is completed.

Next I had to cut the abutments out of some Metcalfe builder sheets. I measured and cut slots in them to accept the underside beams and scored them to fold back the wing walls. I glued the bridges in place and wedged the supporting walls in the correct locations and held them in place with some PVA. The spaces behind the wing was are slowly being filled with some plaster filler, which will be built up in stages until it is at the final scenery height.

Lastly, I began moulding some rocks for the river bed and have placed a couple in their final locations.

- Andy

Offline GreyWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2018, 06:20:54 am »
 :greatpicturessign: Excellent progress Andy - I'm very keen to see how you develop the river!

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2018, 09:18:45 am »
That's looking good, Andy :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31