!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The PETER CHARLES FAGG competition  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
Re: The PETER CHARLES FAGG competition
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 06:21:40 pm »
You donít necessarily have to have a layout, @dellboy . In all the times we went to see Peter, he only managed to get a loco around his layout on one occasion. So, a photo on whatever part of your layout is done would be fine.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Online Nick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22901
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2018, 08:20:40 am »
Excuse my ignorance, but was Peter a regular on the exhibition circuit in some capacity?

Looking at his photograph, he seems extraordinarily familiar, but I can't place why.
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Online kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2018, 09:12:52 am »
'Friends...'

I've just spotted this and I have to declare a small tear ran down my cheek. I never met Peter either but I did have the privelege of being the NGF member who finally posted the NGF coach to him on the coach tour of 2016. Id had the coach on Northallerton and a couple of other North East layouts at our exhibition back in 2016. Peter was very ill at that time but was always a gentleman, as others have said, and he was very pleased to receive the coach.
Two years on and I can only say what a fitting tribute it is to Peter, I'm sure he would be delighted.

Is there a way we can sort of turn the competition into a coach tour too, so that those of us who have exhibition layouts can run the coaches for other members to see at echibitions? I would love to be in the competeion but if its possible, not recieve the coaches till mid July?
(I'm in btw)

Cheers
Kirky

Northallerton is making its next appearance in the July 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller
and in real life at RailEx NE North Shields, 28th/29th July 2018.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2018, 09:48:33 am »
Excuse my ignorance, but was Peter a regular on the exhibition circuit in some capacity?

Looking at his photograph, he seems extraordinarily familiar, but I can't place why.

Peter was not involved on the exhibition circuit but had visited TINGS and his photo was his forum avatar, so maybe that's where you recall him from.

Is there a way we can sort of turn the competition into a coach tour too, so that those of us who have exhibition layouts can run the coaches for other members to see at echibitions? I would love to be in the competition but if its possible, not receive the coaches till mid July?
(I'm in btw)

Cheers
Kirky

Thanks for the kind words, Kirky. I'm sure Peter would much prefer this to be a bit of fun rather than a very serious photo comp so anyone showing layouts could enter providing they send in a photo to be judged. I would need to know when the show would be as I may have to juggle the posting sequence to ensure they have the coaches to hand. To anyone else I would say don't think you need the best layout in the world to enter. A simple diorama would suffice e.g. a small length of track with a bit of scenery and Robert's your mother's brother ;D

Online Nick

• N Gauge Society Number: 22901
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2018, 10:51:36 am »
Peter was not involved on the exhibition circuit but had visited TINGS and his photo was his forum avatar, so maybe that's where you recall him from.

Thanks. It must be his avatar. I can't imagine I'd remember a fellow show attendee unless we were constantly bumping into each other. Literally.

The strange thing is that my wife recognised his photograph as well. We were both confidently expecting someone to say: "Ah, yes, he ran XYZ Junction for forty years, man & boy!"

Only so many facial types, I suppose.
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2018, 11:07:08 am »
I would say "Once met, never forgotten"
The one time I saw Peter at TINGS he was sporting a wide brimmed hat (of the type generally seen with corks hanging all round in parodies of Aussies), a pair of baggy khaki shorts and a huge pair of brown brogues. I know he was wearing more but those are the things that, for some reason, have stuck in my memory!

Online Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2018, 01:29:41 pm »
You donít necessarily have to have a layout, @dellboy . In all the times we went to see Peter, he only managed to get a loco around his layout on one occasion. So, a photo on whatever part of your layout is done would be fine.

Very true Malc. I will register my interest later, when I return from a holiday scheduled in June.
 :thumbsup:
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2018, 06:41:02 pm »
As Mick says, Peter was not a n gauge exhibitor, but he was an exhibitor on the wood turning circuit. He also did tool reviews for Practical Woodturning.
Again , as Mick says, those baggy shorts, brown brogues and white fedora certainly made him stand out.
He was a good friend and I was very sad to see him at the end. He desperately wanted to take part in the coach tour, but didnít have the strength to get down the garden to his layout. I ended up posting it on.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:42:48 pm by Malc »
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline JonHarbour

• N Gauge Society Number: 18965
  • 2mm Association Number: 4667
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2018, 01:09:08 am »
If the coach could be sent to Australia at some point, I'm sure that bealman and I could organise a meet-up of some sort to hand it on, or photograph it on a layour or something. But obviously, it is quicker and easier for it to make the UK rounds first!
Still planning a layout...

Offline Vonzack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20933
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2018, 04:54:16 pm »
Hi,

Picture taken and uploaded, but here's a short video of the coaches running on the Yorkshire Area Groups Guys Cuttings.

https://youtu.be/LwrVdoontf0

Cheers, Mark.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here