!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Atso-Cad Models: Revised Thompson L1, Hawkesworth County and other bits  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been laid low for several days but am slowly starting to recover.

Alan, thank you for the update on your D49s. I ended up using some 0.25mm nickel silver sheet epoxied to the insides to stop the bowing of the tender sides.

The V1 and V3 bodies will be made available via my Shapeways shop once I'm happy with them (as will the L1s).

TenOG, thank you for your interest. The County will utilise the chassis block, wheels, keeper plate, con rods and crosshead, tender frames and tender drive - pretty much all of the Black Five chassis minus the body and excess bits of valve gear - I'm working on a replacement cylinder block as well.

At the moment, I've got a friend (who is a bit of a GWR guru) scrutinising the County CAD and I waiting for their feedback before progressing with the next stage of the design work.

Offline ten0G

• Awards
The County will utilise the chassis block, wheels, keeper plate, con rods and crosshead, tender frames and tender drive - pretty much all of the Black Five chassis minus the body and excess bits of valve gear - I'm working on a replacement cylinder block as well.

Does this include the bogies, and if so, which wheels please, as I want to make sure I obtain the right ones, thanks. 

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
Does this include the bogies, and if so, which wheels please, as I want to make sure I obtain the right ones, thanks. 

To be honest, I've not progressed the design down that far yet as I've been concentrating on getting the fit of the body over the Farish loco chassis correct. However, I have been giving this some thought as the County's bogie is longer than the Black Fives. If I do design a replacement bogie then the wheels supplied with the Black Five will be suitable and I'll design the bogie to accommodate these.

Offline ten0G

• Awards

the wheels supplied with the Black Five will be suitable and I'll design the bogie to accommodate these.

Thanks, but which ones?  The ones that are fitted are not scale-size for the Black Five, will the scale ones be required please?  Also, is the cylinder detailing parts pack required?  Many thanks.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
Thanks, but which ones?  The ones that are fitted are not scale-size for the Black Five, will the scale ones be required please?  Also, is the cylinder detailing parts pack required?  Many thanks.

Honestly, I haven't looked fully into this area of the design yet so cannot say for certain. However, I envision that, like the Farish model, a provision for those wishing to fit either the small or larger wheels will be made. As neither of my Black Fives came with the detailing packs, I'm not going to be designing the cylinders to use any of those parts.

At the moment the CAD is with a couple of friends who know the class inside out for their inspection. Once I've had there feedback, I'll make any amendments they identify and move on with the next phase of the design.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
I find a drill with a sharp burr used as a cutter is the best way to cut FUD if you can sacrifice one side of a cut.

Sawing can cause a split like a crack forming in glass.

This isn't FUD, it's a different material, from Steve's own printer.

Cheers,
Alan

It will be a UV cured acrylic which is very similar in brittleness.

Check what happens if you warm it. FUD (and a lot of classic resin casting resins) go softer if you get them hot enough and you can then drill it more easily. FUD at about 70C is quite pliable and you can do really strange things to it - but not much above that bad things happen permanently so care is needed !
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
Hi all,

The V1 and V3 bodies are now available to purchase via Shapeways:

V1: https://www.shapeways.com/product/7GRUE3VYA/lner-br-v1?optionId=65921818

V3: https://www.shapeways.com/product/SNURYF65D/lner-br-v3?optionId=65921096

Trailing Pony Truck: https://www.shapeways.com/product/A53TU2WSC/v1-v3-trailing-trucks?optionId=65921012

Both the V1 and V3 are available in Shapeways' 'Smooth Fine Detail' (formerly FUD) and 'Smooth Finest Detail' (Formerly FXD) plastics.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Trailing Pony Truck: https://www.shapeways.com/product/A53TU2WSC/v1-v3-trailing-trucks?optionId=65921012

Both the V1 and V3 are available in Shapeways' 'Smooth Fine Detail' (formerly FUD) and 'Smooth Finest Detail' (Formerly FXD) plastics.

Can the Pony be made available in black "natural versatile plastic"?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
Can the Pony be made available in black "natural versatile plastic"?

Indeed it can and now has been.  :D

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here