!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: sound decoders are a luxury!  (Read 2014 times)

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: sound decoders are a luxury!
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2018, 02:04:34 pm »
No need to be so defensive, I don't understand your position, but am interested, hence questioning. If you'd said "yes, I actually never go to shows because there's so little to sustain me", then that would have been interesting. How do you know layouts have DCC sound in advance?

I get that you're interested in sound as a particular facet of the hobby, just can't quite get my head around such a rigid perspective. I like decent signalling on layouts, it's something that interests me, but I still enjoy layouts with no signals whatsoever!

Offline pauliebanger

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2018, 03:02:28 pm »
No need to be so defensive, I don't understand your position, but am interested, hence questioning. If you'd said "yes, I actually never go to shows because there's so little to sustain me", then that would have been interesting. How do you know layouts have DCC sound in advance?

I get that you're interested in sound as a particular facet of the hobby, just can't quite get my head around such a rigid perspective. I like decent signalling on layouts, it's something that interests me, but I still enjoy layouts with no signals whatsoever!

Addressing your points in order.

Defence is the usual response to offence.

I don't care if you are interested or not.

I did not use your suggested words since they not true.

Research.

I'm not interested in your inability to comprehend.

Spuriuos argument. At no point did I say or intimate that I do not enjoy non-sound layouts. I enjoy viewing many non-sound layouts, but as stated, I ensure that I hear all the sound layouts first. What's so difficult to understand about that?

I shall not be writing anything more on this subject as it is interfering with the creation of a sound project I'm developing for a UK manufacturer.

Best regards,

Paul
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 03:07:02 pm by pauliebanger »

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2018, 03:13:54 pm »
Spuriuos argument. At no point did I say or intimate that I do not enjoy non-sound layouts. I enjoy viewing many non-sound layouts, but as stated, I ensure that I hear all the sound layouts first. What's so difficult to understand about that?

Err... you said:

whenever I visit exhibitions I always walk straight past any layouts which do not have sound. I find them incomplete, only giving part of the overall scene.

Which is the exact opposite of saying you have enjoyed many non-sound fitted layouts, hence my statement. Or layouts with non-sound fitted stock, as few layouts themselves have sound. Semantics. Had you said "I usually check out the layouts with sound fitted stock first" that would have been a much more understandable position and I'd not have said anything.

Not sure there's any need for your response, but I shall also duck out at this juncture.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2018, 04:07:51 pm »

I shall not be writing anything more on this subject

I shall also duck out at this juncture.

Good. The thread was interesting until you started slagging each other off. Rather than lock it I'd almost begun just removing posts ::)
By all means carry on via PM if you want to vent your spleens on each other.

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2018, 06:36:48 pm »
Anyway,
Coming back on topic.

A few years ago at Ally Pally I listened to a OO gauge branch terminus station. I say listened because, although it was a nice layout I was enthralled by the sound of the locomotive being prepared on shed. It was just one locomotive and it didn't move for quite some time but the sound simply sounded "right" with sounds of injectors being turned on/off, coal being shovelled and the crew muttering about something along with other sounds. It really came as no surprise to discover that the owner was a BBC sound engineer. The whole thing was an absolute delight.

Fast forward a few years and I came across a O gauge diesel depot layout with sound. There must have been a least a dozen locos making noise. To my ears it was all too loud and out of proportion.

Sometimes less is more.

Offline daversmth

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2018, 08:18:41 pm »
Anyway,
Coming back on topic.

A few years ago at Ally Pally I listened to a OO gauge branch terminus station. I say listened because, although it was a nice layout I was enthralled by the sound of the locomotive being prepared on shed. It was just one locomotive and it didn't move for quite some time but the sound simply sounded "right" with sounds of injectors being turned on/off, coal being shovelled and the crew muttering about something along with other sounds. It really came as no surprise to discover that the owner was a BBC sound engineer. The whole thing was an absolute delight.

Fast forward a few years and I came across a O gauge diesel depot layout with sound. There must have been a least a dozen locos making noise. To my ears it was all too loud and out of proportion.

Sometimes less is more.

I have just been thinking about sound on the layout and definately agree with the less is more  sentiment.

I am planning to integrate some sort of sound with the JMRI script that I use to run the layout.
I only just started to look at it but there seem to be many options which will no doubt provide hours of fun to play with.

I can either use conditions in my script to trigger particular sounds to be played such as a train horn etc, and will probably set up something tongue in cheek using that method to amuse the grandchildren. Fat controller talking to them by name or some such, or engines having conversations etc.

JMRI also has a virtual sound decoder which links engine noise to throttle setting, and it seems you can integrate  your own sounds into it, but I have yet to look in detail. You can also pan the stereo of the sound based on engine position as it moves around the layout.

Another possibility is to perhaps  link the sound to miniature suger cube speakers using bluetooth  but not sure if that could be done within a loco body. Is a bluetooth enabled speaker in  n gauge scale possible ? Or am I doing a Corporal Jones and getting into the realms of fantasy as Captain Mainwaring would say.

As I said.
Hours of fun.

But needs to be under the less is more, or perhaps quality not quantity umbrella to prevent an unpleasant cocophony of noise.

And it gives me an excuse to keep playing with the computer and control aspects while my wife tackles the Metcalf kits.
Not such a stupid boy, Pike ...

Offline honestjudge

• N Gauge Society Number: 16285
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2018, 05:51:46 pm »
I was talking to an exhibitor  who said sound equipped Locos were pointless at an exhibiton with all the ambient sounds and noise, I totally got his point.

I am in love my Farish class 40 with sound. I think it has the best 'play' value of all my stock. However, it is annoying to my wife if she shares the room when I am using it.
I found it is also very irritating to members of my club if I run it on the club layout.

At nearly double the price of a standard dcc ready loco, do I invest further or just enjoy the novelty?

Offline Ted

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2018, 05:32:29 pm »
From a complete novice/newcomers perspective, having never been to a show/exhibition, in the privacy of my own home I can say that the advances in technology and the sound were a big draw for me.

I love the sounds and atmosphere they bring. I also think that lower volume is more appropriate - not a brash screaming tweeter - so I can see why that would be a complete miss in an open environment where you wouldn't hear them.

First week in to N and I've 2 locos, both with sound chips coming... the Dremel and soldering iron is at the ready!
Ted's Excellent Adventure - lots of imagery of my 'workbench', locos and what I'm modelling.

Ted TMD Layout Progress - Era 8/9 Diesel Depot - 8ft Wide DCC

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here