N gauge Journal 2/18

Started by Newportnobby, March 29, 2018, 01:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

An enjoyable read with some good features. Congrats go to @Ollie3440  for getting his 'Wenlock' featured and I also liked the look of 'Welford Bridge'. Following some discussion on @rogerdB 'Wrenton' thread there is also an article on Image Stacking.
I still think the Journal is worth the NGS membership fee alone.

bridgiesimon

I have only had a quick flick through but it looks really good again!

The standard of the journal is superb these days, still well worth the membership costs despite the reduction of the shop etc.

B
Looking forward to settling down later for a proper read.

Best wishes and happy Easter guys
Simon

Ditape

Just had a quick flick thru' looking forward to a good read later. :thumbsup:
Diane Tape

ohlavache

A little bit of advertisement for a letter I submitted and now published in the newsletter, if I may.
It's about the 60th anniversary of N gauge. And I believe it is of interest for the members of this forum.
Please see below and your comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.
And also thank you to all those who make this journal so great!
Happy Easter!!!

-----------------
N Gauge anniversary?

I would like to thank Donald Troost for his article on the early days of N gauge; it was very interesting and gave me the opportunity to learn things. Donald defines the birth of N gauge as the date when N was selected as the letter for our gauge/scale. This was in 1963 or 1964. But I believe N did exist before, even if not yet called N.
Instead of the date when the letter was specified, I would use the criterion below to define the birth of N gauge.
N gauge starts with the release of the first mass-produced self-propelled locomotives running over 9mm gauge tracks representing main lines.
Such a definition has two main advantages. It avoids specifying a scale (1:160 by default, 1:148 for Great-Britain, 1:150 for Japan and RhB and some exotic values used in the early days) and it includes modelling of 1668mm Iberian gauge, 1435mm standard gauge, 1067mm Japanese gauge and RhB's 1000mm gauge in Switzerland.
As a consequence of this definition, N gauge is born in February/March 1960 when, almost at the same time, Arnold and Lone Star introduced their very first self-propelled locomotives, even if they were identified as Rapido 200 or OOO.
1960. So we're getting close to the 60th anniversary of N gauge! It is in 2 years time. And I propose we start thinking how to celebrate this.
In 2010, there was no celebration. Just some very interesting threads on Atlas' forum, a container flat wagon (ref. HN5001) and a boxcar (ref. HN5013) celebrating Arnold's 50th anniversary in railway modelling, and a limited edition Shimmns wagon from the N-Club International commissioned to Mobellbahn Union (ref. MU31005).
But in 2020, I hope we will celebrate as it should be what makes our life happier!
For this 60th anniversary of N Gauge, I would suggest to go for a decentralized approach: several events across Europe, including small local exhibitions to reach a wide audience, with coordination between members of the I-N-G-A (including NGS, AFAN and N-Club Inernational) and also special anniversary models from manufacturers (and our Society maybe) from both sides of the Channel and of the Rhine.
With my very limited amount of time available, I would be happy to participe in this adventure.
I hope this letter will trigger reaction from members and associations to start setting up this celebration.

RailGooner

I read my Journal in page order and try to make it last till the next issue is due. Consequently I don't get to the letters for quite a while.

So firstly, thanks Ohlavache for bringing your letter to my attention early. Secondly thanks for your proposal re defining/marking the 60th anniversary of N. I have no reason/inclination to debate against your definition of the birth year of N. So, now with 2 years to go let's hope that if the NGS runs with your idea they run faster than they did for their (our) 50th!

@ohlavache

dannyboy

It never even entered my head to think of when N gauge started! Having been involved in the hobby for oh, at least 3 years, I am but a novice, but I suspect that 1 or 2 forumites have been involved for over 60 years, (says he with tongue firmly planted in cheek  :)). But it is an interesting idea of yours. I look forward to receiving my copy of the journal.  :beers:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Roy L S

There will always be differences of opinion, and I am not sure I completely agree with the 1960 start point. Lone Star never marketed their electric or push along sets as N always "Treblo" so "N" was not a universally recognised scale or standard at that point.

I think the more representative date would indeed be 1963/4 when "N" was adopted and recognised as the universal standard and the electric Treblo range quietly died off.

For many NGS members though the more relevant date would be 1967 when the NGS was founded, this was to have been the subject of a massive 50th celebration last year but for reasons aired previously and pointless to raise again did not happen.

However we still have the celebratory Hunslet to look forward to.

Roy

Bob G

While you are all thinking about this, i am told there could be an April fool in the journal.
So don't get caught out.

Enjoy
Bob

Bingley Hall

Quote from: RailGooner on March 30, 2018, 08:14:16 PM
..... So, now with 2 years to go let's hope that if the NGS runs with your idea they run faster than they did for their (our) 50th!
They get paid enough and have nothing else to do, so I don't see any reason why not :dunce:

red_death

Quote from: Bingley Hall on March 31, 2018, 07:32:17 AM
..... So, now with 2 years to go let's hope that if the NGS runs with your idea they run faster than they did for their (our) 50th!
They get paid enough and have nothing else to do, so I don't see any reason why not :dunce:

Who gets paid enough?

Tank

Quote from: Bingley Hall on March 31, 2018, 07:32:17 AM

How much do they get paid then?!

RailGooner

So, now with 2 years to go let's hope that if the NGS runs with your idea they run faster than they did for their (our) 50th!
To clarify, I wasn't intending to have a dig at the VOLUNTEERS running the NGS. Nor was I intending to go over old ground re the NGS 50th. But I think it profits us to keep the 50th in our consciousness as a reminder to plan early.

Quote from: Rabbitaway on March 27, 2018, 09:55:20 PM
Are we seeing the decline of N gauge?
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40937.0

I think the consensus is that we are not, but rather that N is reasonably healthy. So I hope we use the 60th of N to promote, and raise the profile of the gauge.

Cooper

Quote from: Bob G on March 30, 2018, 11:32:23 PM
While you are all thinking about this, i am told there could be an April fool in the journal.
So don't get caught out.

Enjoy
Bob

Yes, was just sat reading mine and thought 'hang on', then spotted the clear signs embedded in it....

Ali Smith

If there used an April Fool try the letter on page 84 about a new phone based control system

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations