Cambrian Coast Express

Started by twinklekev, May 13, 2020, 03:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinklekev

As part of my future layout plans I will need to run the Cambrian Coast Express from Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth. Could the NGF collective help out with information on the train formation when it ran from Shrewbury over the Cambrian lines to Aberystwyth?

I'm looking at the late 30's time period (i.e. 1937 - 1939) when it would have been hauled by a Grange class 4-6-0 with occassional substitutions by a Mogul or Dukedog 4-4-0.

If anyone can help I would be most grateful.

Kevin.

Karhedron

The Manors rather than the Granges were common locos on the CCE, in fact they were designed with the Cambrian routes in mind. Prior to the introduction of the Manors, a pair of Dukes would have been common motive power.

Rolling stock would be an issue in this period. Dapol's Collett Coaches would just be coming into service at this time but would likely have been used on the most principle expresses. Photos from the period suggest the CCE was made up mainly of slightly older 1930s "mainline" stock but these are not available RTR in N Gauge. You could probably get away with Collett coaches with the shirtbutton emblem headed by a Shirtbutton Manor.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Athronydd

There are some relevant photos in The Coast Lines of the Cambrian Railways Vol 1. C C Green. Wild Swan (1993) ISBN 1874103070. Required reading for anyone with an interest in the Cambrian.

twinklekev

Thanks for the help gentlemen. I will see if I can locate a copy of that book  :)

Kevin.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations