W class tank

Started by exmouthcraig, February 27, 2018, 09:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

Mine won't go near platforms. Shunting in the yard and she'd no platform edges. Middle 2 roads at station and into the station yard again no edges to catch.

It has to be an exact scale model for me, we can't cut corners or make excuses for it not being spot on.

But we only discover these issues when we try. With the leaps made in 3d printing can this 1 particular problem be overcome? ???

Southerngooner

I agree that it needs to be as close to prototype as possible. Maybe brass steps are the answer, but only a detailed review and 3D drawing would reveal what is and isn't possible  in my view. I have had a reply from Rue 'Estopal and he seems interested. I have gone back with some more queries and await his reply.
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

exmouthcraig

Perfect. Are we hoping to fit this onto the farish N chassis dave?

Southerngooner

I think that is a good start, yes.
Dave

Southerngooner

Sorry for the delay in posting an update, but here is where I am with this at the moment. I have mailed Roe D'Estropal and his comment was that he has a few other projects that he is working on, but he might make a start to see how it goes. Nothing too firm there, but given that only three people from this forum replied to say they might be interested, probably resulting in five or six orders, then it is clear to me that even with a lot more publicity it would probably be difficult to shift the 50 or so that may have been needed to make it profitable as a strictly N Gauge model. Simon at Rue D'Estropal works in other gauges too so it may be more effective as a design to fit more scales. This may make it a bit generic in terms of chassis installation, but I am sure the N would be a good donor. I suggest all we can do is wait and see!

In the meantime I'm going to look again at whether I could convert my SECR livery N into a W.......progress reports as and when I get round to it!
Dave

Southerngooner

To any of those forum members who were interested in the SR W class tank your prayers have been answered! After a short delay Simon from Rue d'Etropal got in touch and after a few photos and drawings from me has now designed a body for 3D printing. It's available on his website and costs around £25 including postage. My order is in......
Dave

Bob G

That's amazing news.
I've used the tender of a N class for the tender of a Fowler 4F to Maunsell Q class conversion.
I was wondering what to do with the 2-6-0 chassis! Problem solved.
Bob

bridgiesimon

I really need to order one of these so what chassis do I need, N class been mentioned - is that what it is designed for or is it designed generically?

Advice appreciated!

Best wishes
Simon

bridgiesimon

Quote from: Bob G on May 04, 2018, 07:46:36 AM
That's amazing news.
I've used the tender of a N class for the tender of a Fowler 4F to Maunsell Q class conversion.
I was wondering what to do with the 2-6-0 chassis! Problem solved.
Bob

Apologies for the hijack but do you have any more information about your Q conversion? I am really interested in doing one myself.

Best wishes
Simon

Bob G

Hi Simon

I'm in Denmark right now.
PM me your email address and I will send you my notes on the Q class on Monday.

I started a thread on here so look out for my 4F to Q thread too.
I'm using the N cab as a close looking but not 100% correct cab, and if you model the Q class with the standard 4MT replacement chimney you don't need to change that.
The only thing you cannot model easily is the undercut look of the firebox because the chassis gearbox is wider on the 4F than on the N class.

Best
Bob

Dorsetmike

One W class ordered.

Anybody got any idea how long before delivery?
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

CarriageShed

It'll be interesting to see what progress is made with these. Photos people, please.

Quote from: Dorsetmike on May 04, 2018, 12:36:59 PM

Should be two or three days. I'm working on the six-wheel SECR brake van 'kit' right now and that arrived within about three days I think.

thebrighton

Quote from: Dorsetmike on May 04, 2018, 12:36:59 PM
One W class ordered.
If it's from Shapeways you can track your order through processing to production and it tells you when they expect to ship it.

Southerngooner

It should fit the N but it is just designed as a body 1mm thick so chassis needs brackets fixing inside body to fit
Dave

Bob G

The body is described as available in WSF, FUD and FXD. Given there are no handrails on the print, what would you recommend as the best print medium?
Bob

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations