World Series Baseball (WARNING latest scores mentioned!)

Started by weave, October 26, 2017, 07:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weave

Hi all,

I'm a huge baseball fan and know that emjaybee is too. Just wondering if there are any others out there as thought we could chat about what is looking to be a cracking series final.

I thought the Dodgers were going to run away with it (and being a Giants fan, I'll keep it clean, that's just not on  :no:).

However the Astros tied the series 1-1 last night with a 7-6, 11th inning win in LA  :claphappy:. Off to Houston now starting Saturday so a better day to be up late.

Unfortunately, I don't have BT Sport (ESPN) anymore  :'( but can sort of watch it on a virtual reality thing at mlb.com live and then highlights later.

Hope this is of interest to others.

Cheers weave  :beers:

emjaybee

Morning mate, now I'm starting to understand why we (Boston Red Sox) have just signed Alex Cora as the new manager.

I'll have to watch the highlights tonight, but looks like it was a good game.

The next match is in Houston on FRIDAY night Weave, not Saturday. I'll be staying up to watch it live on 'tinternet. We really must get you set up on that .

:foodanddrink:

Cheers.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

weave

Morning mate,

OK, I didn't explain the time very well  :P.

For those interested and to save them looking it up it's on Friday night in Houston, which is 1.09 AM Saturday morning in the UK. (I still don't know why they have these strange start times ie not ending in a zero).

I haven't seen the highlights either but sounds like lots of home runs and a few 'muck' ups (won't say the 'co' word as we'll be invaded by Large Chickens again  :D.

Enjoy tonight.

emjaybee

Fair point, well made on the timings.

::)

No, I don't know why they always start at slightly off the hour times either.

:hmmm:
Brookline build thread:

weave

Hi,

Just Googled the start times and it seems mainly to do with TV scheduling, adverts etc. The programme starts on the hour and the game start time is up to the individual TV company.

Bit boring but makes sense.

Apparently the Chicago White Sox used to start their games a 7.11 because they were sponsored by 7-Eleven.

I must get out more!  :)

emjaybee

Welcome to the corporate world of American sport, with Chase Field, Minute Maid Park, etc.

;D
Brookline build thread:

Chetcombe

Since I moved to the US in the mid 90s, baseball has become my adopted US sport. Thankfully I don't have to stay up to the wee small hours to watch! While the WS this year is riveting, the same can be said for pretty much the whole of this year's post season, right from the Wild Card playoff games.

As a Yankees fan, it was a shame we couldn't sneak a win in one of the final two games in Houston, but the Astros at hone have been immense. Now they are 2-1 up including a win in LA, they have to be feeling good.
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

emjaybee

Ah!

A representative from the Evil Empire!

;D

Welcome to our small band of baseball nuts. I think the whole of the postseason has been immense so far. Having followed the baseball for nineteen years now I always think that newcomers seem to struggle with appreciating the closeness of all the teams abilities. Looking at the league tables it looks like some teams are streets ahead of others, but if you analyse the stats closely all the teams are quite closely matched in abilities.

Having watched six live games in four different grounds and countless games via the 'tinternet, and having seen live tennis, international rugby, the Olympics and a few other events, I don't think anything else has the same kind of atmosphere, and caters for the whole family like baseball.

I watch the match live last night, got to bed at 5.15am! Not sure if I'll stay up for tonight's game, don't have the sleep deprivation stamina I used to have.

Who's your new manager going to be then?

:beers:
Brookline build thread:

Snowwolflair

Quote from: emjaybee on October 28, 2017, 10:46:49 PM
Ah!

Really! Evil!    They brought us The Keystone Cops, The Marx Brothers, The Three Stooges and the Trump Presidency.

Snowwolflair

Oh and of course the best hot dogs in the world , only served at Ball Games  :D

emjaybee

Quote from: Snowwolflair on October 28, 2017, 10:55:03 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on October 28, 2017, 10:46:49 PM
Ah!

Really! Evil!    They brought us The Keystone Cops, The Marx Brothers, The Three Stooges and the Trump Presidency.

Ah, you misunderstand!

The Evil Empire - A.K.A. The New York Yankees.

As they come on to the pitch at some away games, the host p.a. often plays the Darth Vader march.

>:D
Brookline build thread:

Snowwolflair

Ah I'm a novice in baseball but I go see the SF Giants when I'm in the valley on business.

emjaybee

Quote from: Snowwolflair on October 29, 2017, 12:01:44 AM
Ah I'm a novice in baseball but I go see the SF Giants when I'm in the valley on business.

You'll get on well with @weave then, he's a Giants fan, he's in mourning at the moment, the Giants bombed this year.

I'm a Boston Red Sox fan myself. We tend to alternate from spectacularly great to hideously aweful. You have to have a lot of faith, a lot of patience and a good sense of humour to be a baseball fan.

;D
Brookline build thread:

weave

Haaaay!! More baseball fans  :claphappy:,

Just woke up from am induced red wine coma so forgive me if a bit groggy.

Hi Chetcombe and Snowwolflair. Hope you're watching the game.

Morning emjaybee. Are you up? I forgot to buy the hot dogs  :doh:. Oh well coffee and brandy for the first inning will do.

emjaybee

I'm here, still bleery-eyed from last night. I'm upping the coffee strength tonight, we'll have to see how long I last!

I don't really do hot-dogs in this country. We don't really get it, we just have sausages in a roll, which just ain't a hotdog.

I had some nice "tailgate 'dogs" in Chase Field, Pheonix. Fenway franks were good too.

:food:
Brookline build thread:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23