!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills GWR 2251  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
Union Mills GWR 2251
« on: September 17, 2017, 01:23:47 pm »
I received mine on Saturday, and have painted the cab window frame and whistles, but left the chimney and safety bonnet in black until I can find a picture to prove otherwise. here are a couple of pictures, the first showing it on shed with a peco version (far left) for comparison, and with the Dean goods And Dukedog for company

And on local freight duty with 6619 hauling a modified Dapol B set 

Regards,

Alex
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:25:54 pm by Hailstone »

Offline Tonye

• N Gauge Society Number: 11231
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills GWR 2251
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 04:22:13 pm »
 :hellosign: Nice pictures  :thankyousign: . Has anyone compared the UM with the Peco version?
Tonye

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 05:33:27 pm »
When you see them next to each other it has to be said that the old Peco model is much crisper and better detailed. The Peco tender has always looked completely wrong though and ruined that model for me. I'm sure it is over scale. The Union Mills tender looks much better with the loco and is a tender commonly paired with 2251 class locos but appears not to be correct for the preserved 3205. Having said that the Union Mills model fills a gap and does what Union Mills models do.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 08:05:09 am »
I agree about the tender on the Peco version. It has always looked too big to me.  And yes, the UM tender looks about right.
I think that Colin has done a great job once again. His locomotives are what they are and we have to accept the lack of detailing. What more can we expect for the price. Well done, yet again, Colin.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 09:20:47 am »
I agree about the tender on the Peco version. It has always looked too big to me.  And yes, the UM tender looks about right.
I think that Colin has done a great job once again. His locomotives are what they are and we have to accept the lack of detailing. What more can we expect for the price. Well done, yet again, Colin.

Seconded!

In fact the lack of detail might be an (albeit I fully accept, contrarian) advantage as there is little to break when wheel cleaning and suchlike.  As the locomotives run so well I find that I do a lot of wheel cleaning.

I noticed that, in his interesting article on Union Mills in the October 2017 'British Railway Modelling', Mr Parker described the firm's products as 'layout locomotives'.  This appears to me to be both an accurate description and a compliment.

2242 has arrived and is 'running in'.  She is lovely.  I have 'copper capped' the chimney already and will get round to 'brassing' the safety valve bonnet and whistles in due course.

Best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 09:30:20 am »
Looking forward to a picture of 2242 in due course John.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 12:44:07 pm »
Looking forward to a picture of 2242 in due course John.

Thank you, Martin.

It's a sunny day here, so 2242 and I popped out to the garden...

All best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 04:37:16 pm »
 :hmmm:
I know the tender on the Peco model is not right but I do believe Peco have captured the slant of the boiler top far better than UM.
Compare John's pic with this......
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=collett+22xx+class&client=opera&hs=0U2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjIurCaybHWAhWpJ8AKHZYWC28Q7AkIOQ&biw=1366&bih=658#imgrc=74FKEEx2Z2CPhM:

Offline leachsprite4

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 09:54:44 pm »
It looks good to me and the br green version with some finishing touches will look grand.
As a thought could the tender from the director class be used behind the 2251 class to represent the ROD tender some had?
I can't recall peco power supply but could a union mills tender be paired with a peco loco?
Graham

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 04:28:44 pm »
As a thought could the tender from the director class be used behind the 2251 class to represent the ROD tender some had?
I can't recall peco power supply but could a union mills tender be paired with a peco loco?

I think it should work. Both tenders provide the motive power with the loco effectively being a dummy with pickups. You would need to bodge the couplings between them somehow but that is probably not an insurmountable challenge. Ditto the wiring for the power supply from the loco.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline ian_5a

• N Gauge Society Number: 7137
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 09:44:33 pm »
The bad news is that the BR green Collett has sold out already.
The good news is that another batch is planned before Christmas.

Ian

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 09:42:44 am »
That just proves that Union Mills Models are very popular despite all the people that say they are not detailed enough .I wish I had enough money to have baught the two BR ones as well but if Colin still had them.left in March thats my birthday present sorted.
Bob Tidbury

Offline leachsprite4

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 05:33:30 pm »

I think it should work. Both tenders provide the motive power with the loco effectively being a dummy with pickups. You would need to bodge the couplings between them somehow but that is probably not an insurmountable challenge. Ditto the wiring for the power supply from the loco.

Thanks, I thought the same. Is the tender from director class the correct one for a ROD version?

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 09:55:08 pm »
Thanks, I thought the same. Is the tender from director class the correct one for a ROD version?
Not sure. Do you have a picture?
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 05:18:27 pm »
They are also quite easy to detail up. It doesn't take much to paint up the buffers nicely, fit vacuum pipes, lamps and some bits of straight wire for the cab hand rails (and if it has rails on the end of the cab just put a 90 bend top and bottom of a bit of wire in the right place and glue it inside the cab. Add a crew, blacken the wheels with a suitable pen and it's amazing the difference it makes to a UM loco.

A fine line of dirty silver along the handrails brings those out nicely and is a lot easier than filing them off and replacing them with wire as some people do.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here