!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Making a fresh start  (Read 2058 times)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Making a fresh start
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2018, 11:03:40 pm »
 :hellosign:   :photospleasesign:  The testing phase is good John, enjoy
        regards Derek.

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2018, 12:34:46 pm »
 :sorrysign:  Still not got any pictures to share. 

Work / life balance is not providing as much time as I would like to fit any useful time in on the railway.  That said the non scenic loops at the bottom right of the plan are in with some tweaks.  They are made using code 80 set track curves and code 80 flexi and code 80 electro-frog points.  The three loops are made up of first, second and third radius curves.  There is also a crossover between the second and third radius loops using the set track curved points, whilst not ideal they should not be an issue as the trains that will be using them will not be worked by small 0-6-0 loco's.  All the large Farish steam loco's negotiate them without problems so far, I just need to test the Dapol ones.  Any alterations required such as removal of said curved points will not cause too much work at this stage in the proceedings.  The DC cab control for this section is also working.  Looking at diagrams and reading about it was a bit confusing, but then it just sort of fell in to place, a real "light bulb" moment! :idea:

Any hoo... Here is the revised plan mentioned in my last up date, still very much a work in progress and as usual could be subject to change as things progress.  The space in the middle of the loop is indeed going to be loco sidings and I may use this as test bed for some scenic work and make it in to a diesel servicing / fuelling point for no other reason than I can... Rule 1 and all that!

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2018, 02:57:08 pm »
I do like the first plan as the flyover is reminiscent of Bletchley, scene of much of my trainspotting days and hub for access to Bedford-Sandy and Oxford in my time.

Part of me likes the idea of the first plan, again there may be some slight changes to the station approach.  I'm just wary of the gradient, but I should be able to achieve a 1% gradient although it would still involve curves.  The only minus is the relatively short length of the return loop to the right of the station, not quite long enough to be holding / hiding a Loco plus 6 coaches, whilst pretending it is on its journey to the end of the line and back.
Exactly my thought....
Why not break up that return loop and connect it to the big  run-around track to the right?

kind regards
Alexander
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2018, 09:40:56 am »
I do like the first plan as the flyover is reminiscent of Bletchley, scene of much of my trainspotting days and hub for access to Bedford-Sandy and Oxford in my time.

Part of me likes the idea of the first plan, again there may be some slight changes to the station approach.  I'm just wary of the gradient, but I should be able to achieve a 1% gradient although it would still involve curves.  The only minus is the relatively short length of the return loop to the right of the station, not quite long enough to be holding / hiding a Loco plus 6 coaches, whilst pretending it is on its journey to the end of the line and back.
Exactly my thought....
Why not break up that return loop and connect it to the big  run-around track to the right?

kind regards
Alexander

Not quite sure what you mean AlexanderJesse.  Those notes referred to one of the earlier plans and not to the most recent two plans.  The current plan is a large dog-bone affair with no gradients.  Effectively it is just one long circuit.  All the trains will run through the Nelevator in a clockwise direction, the loops at the bottom right are there to regulate trains for operational purposes and each of those three loops can hold two shorter trains or one long train depending on what trains I choose to run on any given session.  This also makes wiring a bit simpler and there are only two sections that need something a bit more involved due to polarity issues, but nothing a few switches and insulated joiners won't sort out... He says optimistically!  I'm in no rush and each stage will be temporarily laid and wired for testing purposes before committing myself to making it permanent.  I like shunting but find it a bit fiddly in N; although I am toying with trying the Dapol easy shunts on some stock, but that is a little way off yet. 

The general line of operation is going to be the Heritage Railway route, which is absolutely brilliant for Rule 1 running.  I do have plenty of stock to allow for some 1970's BR Blue and plenty to do 1980's BR...  You can tell what era I did most of my train spotting in... I well remember seeing 50023 Howe in Large Logo Blue which at the time was a bit of a novelty, but captured my attention and the 50's soon became a favourite of mine.  Have to say that I am a bit of an English Electric fan full stop, just love the noise they make.  I also like the smaller Sulzers (BR Types 2 & 3) , but was never a fan of the larger Sulzer Type 4's.
John

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2018, 11:45:06 am »
correct... I had not seen the very last layout... sorry
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2018, 12:04:45 pm »
I think the Nelevator is made for code 55 track, so at the ends of it you would need to lay the appropriate amount of code 55 then connect to your code 80 for it to work correctly.

Offline 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2018, 12:46:26 pm »
I think the Nelevator is made for code 55 track, so at the ends of it you would need to lay the appropriate amount of code 55 then connect to your code 80 for it to work correctly.

You are correct Only Me.  "Nellie" comes with code 55 track.  Mine is on order, but no anticipated delivery date has been given yet, but there is no rush at present.  I've only used code 80 on the off scene area at the bottom right of the plan.  The main part will be code 55, which I already have in stock.  I am fortunate to have some card which when doubled up is just the right thickness to bring the rail tops of the code 80 and 55 pretty much level and the initial test runs have been successful.  Purely good luck!  This also provides an ideal transition to the cork I'm using for underlay on the main part, which was just a touch to thick to use as packing under the code 55 where it matched up to the code 80.  I'm not aiming for any level of perfection, if it looks ok and runs ok it is good enough for me.  My main aim is to get pleasure out of being able to run trains and hopefully make a reasonable looking environment around that.  I am definitely a layout operator rather than a layout builder!
John

Offline 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 12:49:25 pm »
correct... I had not seen the very last layout... sorry

No need to apologise!  There is always the possibility that I may overlook something and any comments that make me take another look are always welcome.

John

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2018, 06:16:25 pm »
Ain't not never seen a 'Nelevator' before! Watched it here <http://www.nelevation.com/> very smart  :heart2:

Cheers  :beers:

Offline 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2018, 12:05:36 am »
A few photo's not overly exciting I'm afraid and not overly brilliant!  I need to improve my photography skills...

The view to the left of the main board, not much happening here at present.

The view to the right of the main board, only a little bit of activity here so far.

The bit in front of the window

The bit at the bottom right corner of the plan with the loco sidings laid and tested with the shed temporarily in place.  Behind the shed where the class 47 is hiding will be the fuel road and the straight siding in front the shed will be the fuel tank siding.  This being the an off stage area the points will be manually operated.  It is not an exhibition layout and nobody will see the giant hand in the sky apart from any visitors.  All track on this bit is wired and tested and all seems to be satisfactory.  The wiring will be tidied up at some point though as it is a bit rough & ready to say the least!

That's all so far.

John

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2018, 01:33:47 am »
Looking good!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2018, 05:59:46 am »
Looks very neat and extensive too.  :thankyousign:
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2018, 06:19:58 am »
Looking very good John, that is a nice space you have there ... and the layout is coming along great! Well done that man!

Cheers  :beers:

Offline 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2018, 04:35:57 pm »
I've managed a fair bit in the last couple of weeks thanks to my fortnights holiday, not all plain sailing it has to be said and one or two alterations have been made as I've progressed.  One or two more compromises have had to be made, but progress will probably be limited now as I can now play, sorry run trains!  The wiring does need a bit of tidying up, but so far the cab control and section switches seem to be doing the job.  There may be some tweaks to make when "Nelly" arrives, but these should only be some minor track re-alignments at one end of the "Nelly".  Will a video be forthcoming?  We will see about that as the only video camera source I have is the mobile phone, but I do have a YouTube account that I can upload to if and when I get around to it...  Further developments on the main area may also be delayed waiting the "Nelly" as I want to keep the area relatively clear for the installation.

The main focus now will be to test various loco's and rolling stock to ensure there are not any real running issues on some of my dodgy track laying.  I think the biggest concern for me is the steam loco's, but time will tell. 

Not much will occur this week as I start a run of night shifts tonight.  One thing the railway is doing is bringing back memories of my OO gauge days in the early 80's due to the "tighter than I would like" curves and my great imagination that used to allow me to see things like the wooden platforms made by my dad as detailed platforms.  I was more interested in running the trains than making the scenery - not much has changed really!

John

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2018, 11:14:34 pm »
 :hellosign: Glad to hear of your progress John, looking forward to more soon
      regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00