!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Molesworth Vale  (Read 4688 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Molesworth Vale
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2018, 12:10:23 pm »
That's looking very good, Andy. I also found chicken wire to be too 'open' so used aviary wire which has a closer mesh.......

I then covered it with kitchen tissue soaked in a diluted filler before painting it and then using scenic scatters etc...

Offline DaveGlew

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2018, 06:13:21 pm »
I think I might be to scenery what you are to electrickery NN. Nice work Andy!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:58:27 am by DaveGlew »
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2018, 06:21:18 pm »
All coming along rather well.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2018, 06:51:33 pm »
Thanks for the comments.

I also found chicken wire to be too 'open' so used aviary wire which has a closer mesh.......

NPN - that's pretty much what I used but the only type I could get was a little stiff. Going to give the chicken wire another go but will try stretching a thin fabric over it and gluing it in place before adding the plaster cloth. Hopefully that will resolve the dips.

Andy

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2018, 08:27:43 pm »
I like a certain amount of rigidity in case of accidents but found using a pair of tin snips to trim one edge so I could then staple it onto the baseboard edge/surface enabled me to be it to the shape I required fairly easily. I only stabbed myself a few times on bits of it!

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2018, 08:39:52 pm »
I've managed to make a little more scenic progress on the layout, starting with a little bit of rough ballast cover for the first few inches into the tunnel mouths at each end of the fiddle yard. I messed up by not doing this before I added the hillside base so it's not pretty but should be OK as you will barely get to see it. This shots are from halfway through the job and I'm happy to say the end result looks much tidier.

After that had dried, I started on the plaster cloth covering for the south end tunnel and hillside. As suspected the chicken wire allows the plaster cloth to sink into the gaps a little but I'll be able to smooth this out with some additional plaster. I also intend for this to be a little bit of a rocky hillside so there will be a number of exposed rock faces helping to hide things. Does anyone have any experience with this? It's something I've never tried before and I've seen a lot of different methods but which ones actually work well?

I placed the tunnel mouth (Metcalfe kit) before adding the cloth but protected it with a covering of clingfilm. This should allow me to build up the plaster without damaging it but also be easy enough to remove once I'm happy with things.

While the plaster was drying, I also painted the previously added section with my base coat of soil coloured paint. In the next few days I should be able to place the road bridge in it's allocated space but I'll have to get some ballasting done first.

At the other end of the layout, my road, hillside, and embankments are progressing and are nearly ready for covering in plaster cloth.

And the last picture of the day is an aerial view of the layout showing the overall scenic progress. I seem to have generated a rather large amount of clutter on the station baseboard so I have to find some time to tidy things up so that I can start laying the track in this area. Note: the back scene in the top left of this picture isn't warped - it intentionally has a curve to it to allow for a wider track curve.

- Andy
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 08:41:46 pm by andy-sf »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2018, 08:46:55 pm »
Looking better and better, Andy. Nice work!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2018, 08:55:37 pm »
Looking good to me too.
The messy stage is always.........messy but itís worth it in the end.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2018, 12:47:40 pm »
Looking very good Andy ... am watching your plastering work with great interest as this is something I'm going to have to tackle too!  :hmmm:

Cheers  :beers:

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2018, 09:44:28 pm »
Hi All,

The scenic parts of the layout are continuing to make slow but steady progress. I've added plaster cloth to the second of the tunnel entrances and around the bridge, as well as attaching the wire formers for the rest of the 'north' end baseboard. There is more plaster to add but once that has been done I really need to start the track laying for the station so that I can finalise the remaining scenic details. Everything looks a little messy at the moment but over the next few weeks I'll br smoothing out the hill texture and cleaning up the back scene. Once that is done I'm sure (I hope!) it will look much better.

Over at the 'south' end, it was time to extend the hillside and then jump in and cut away the trackbed to make room for the river. I didn't really plan for this too well (it was a bit of an afterthought to be honest) and as such the process of cutting back the woodwork was much more difficult than I had hoped. After a lot of struggling I was able to get it all trimmed back as far as needed and then add yet more wire supports for the eventual plaster cloth covering.

The scenic supports have since pushed further round to the same extent as the 'north' baseboard, and again, apart from applying the plaster cloth, I will need to progress the station track laying before finishing this off.

The last task I have started on recently is pretty much my first attempt at scratch building. Because I hadn't really planned out the river when constructing the baseboards, I'm having to work around the thickness of the wood base as well as the foam trackbed. Fortunately I had some 0.25 inch 'C' channel plasticard as well as a large collection of Peco plate girder bridge sides. I'll have more details in my next update, but I'm pretty pleased with the way things are shaping up so far...

And last but not least, here is a little video of my progress up til now...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuE2NriHzr4

- Andy

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2018, 11:44:12 pm »
This is looking lovely Andy. Really nice sweeping curves, and now joined by gently rolling hills. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And I just noticed your switch levers - very nice. :heart2:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2018, 01:23:55 am »
Thanks RailGooner. I really wanted to have some flowing scenery so Iím glad itís starting to come together and as for the curves, Iím just really fortunate to have a space that allows for this!

The lever frame was kind of a pain to get set up but it is great fun to operate. Not looking forward to construction of the one for the station side though!

- Andy
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 01:25:03 am by andy-sf »

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2018, 02:44:25 am »
Looking very good!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2018, 07:14:05 am »
Looking good Andy. I like the addition of the river. As you say, a bit of a pain to add it as an afterthought, but well worth the effort.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2018, 08:20:37 am »
Looks good.
I always call this the messy stage - great fun.
My Layouts -

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything