!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Molesworth Vale  (Read 4260 times)

Offline andy-sf

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Molesworth Vale
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2017, 02:29:08 am »
It doesn't feel like three months have passed since I last caught this thread. And WOW, haven't you been busy Andy(!)? Really impressive work and at a blistering pace too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
@andy-sf

Thanks! To be honest there are days where I think I haven't achieved that much so it's great to get that encouragment. Mind you, I've gone through around 35 yards of track up to this point...  :goggleeyes:

- Andy

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2017, 05:39:42 am »
Excellent progress, Andy.  :thumbsup:

I'm just wondering what Mick uses to shave these days.

Mind you, I've seen girls on buses checking their makeup with the selfie camera on their phones....  ::)

Seriously, the layout is really moving along.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2017, 09:14:17 am »

I'm just wondering what Mick uses to shave these days.

@Bealman
A razor, George. A razor ::) :P

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2018, 09:19:05 pm »
Hi All,

It's been a very long time since my last update due to various family commitments all through December and January, but things have still moved along, just not at the speed I would have liked.

We left off last time with the fiddle yard starting to take shape and the track work for this has now been completed. Some may notice that the spurs in my original design are absent - these will be added in the future when funds allow for the extra track components and associated point motors. I've run a couple of locos over the various sidings and there don't seem to be any issues with the track joins/alignment but I'll need to do a proper test once I have everything wired up correctly.

I've also been fitting the girder bridge which required a solid base coat of my grey/brown steelwork paint mix (although in the photo it doesn't show the shade very well.) This will ultimately receive some extra detailing with weathering powders once the surrounding scenery is in place, but I think it looks pretty good so far.

Next up will be getting the wiring all connected up properly and adding in the first couple of point motors and reversing modules for my crossings. I'll hopefully post an update on that tomorrow.

- Andy

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2018, 10:44:39 pm »
Hi, just caught up with this thread from the beginning. Looking great so far!

Neat work with the construction!
Thanks,
Paul

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently under construction; http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39084.0

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2018, 07:22:38 am »
 :thankyousign: Bridge looks good.

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2018, 11:46:39 pm »
Wires, wires, and more wires...

The miserable work of connecting up all of my track feeds has begun. My 'belt and braces' approach of adding way more droppers than is strictly necessary is coming back to haunt me a little as I now have a seeming endless mass of wires to connect up, but hopefully this will ultimately prevent any dead spots when I finally get to run some trains...

The plain track sections are pretty easy to work on and produce a fairly tidy result. I'll be using a dab of hot glue to hold these wires in place on the underside of the trackbed once everything is finalized and passed off as working correctly.

Things start to get a little more complicated when the first sets of point motors and reversing modules come into play, but all in all things have gone well.

Next up was the fiddle yard. I tackled one end at a time trying to be as methodical as I could and, once I got into a bit of a groove, I got a surprising amount achieved. I now have all 20 fiddle yard point motors installed and the northern end is all connected up.

I'll be attacking the southern end at the weekend, as well as starting to add in the levers for controlling these sets of points. The levers themselves will be built into a cut-out in the scenic section of this baseboard.

- Andy

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2018, 09:53:11 am »
Oh heck. And to think I have all this to come :worried:

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2018, 08:50:12 pm »
Hi All,

I didn't get as much time to work on the railway as I had hoped this weekend but I did manage to achieve most of the things I wanted to.

The first task was to finish the basic wiring of the point motors for the southern end of the fiddle yard. The whole yard is now connected up in the most basic way, leaving just the wires for the actual levers that will control the motors.

Speaking of the levers, the second job was to work on the cutout for the lever frame. Step one involved building the platform for them to sit on to bring everything up to the correct height. Because of the way the Cobalt S levers connect to each other I've only needed to add fixing screws to every second unit. This still leaves them all very firmly attached and they aren't likely to move around at all.

With this done, I could move on to constructing the actual panel framework. This was a lot trickier than I'd initially anticipated but eventually I was able to put the lever platform in it's place and carefully measure/line up the 'lid'.

Measuring five times and cutting once was the order of the day and I'm glad to report that it all fits together well, with just a very tiny gap around the levers that is barely noticeable (to me at least).

I'm REALLY pleased with how this has turned out and all that remains to be done here is some filling and sanding to tidy up the edges, painting of the levers themselves, and then connecting the levers to the point motors. If I'm lucky, I should be able to do a couple of those tasks during the week, but the wiring up will have to wait until my next batch of supplies arrives.

- Andy

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2018, 08:59:17 pm »
This looks fabulous, Andy.

From the below the baseboard photograph, it looks like you wire up 'Dreamliners' for a living!

The lever frames look terrific.

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2018, 07:17:08 am »
This looks fabulous, Andy.

From the below the baseboard photograph, it looks like you wire up 'Dreamliners' for a living!

The lever frames look terrific.

With best wishes.

John

Seconded,  :thumbsup:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2018, 10:01:02 am »
The wiring scares me to death but the point levers and those track curves look great!

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2018, 06:48:18 pm »
The wiring scares me to death but the point levers and those track curves look great!

Thanks! I really wanted to incorporate some sweeping curves wherever possible as I feel that it really helps to elevate the appearance from a large train set to an actual model.

As for the wiring, I started with a vision of everything being super neat and tidy, but that vision quickly faded and things are getting rather messy. It's still fairly tidy, but with sooo much wire, there really isn't a way to avoid the ball of string look. It has definitely been my least favourite task so far, but all things considered, not anywhere near as bad as I had feared (no short circuits to note so far...)

Pretty soon I should be able to run a few loco's around the initial loop, but once that is thoroughly tested I really need to stop delaying and settle on the track layout for the station area - I've been dragging my feet on this for far too long as I just can't seem to decide exactly what I want. I know I want some intricate pointwork, a bay platform, a goods area, and a long sweeping slightly curved platform, but I'm just not very good at the actually design part.  :(

- Andy

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2018, 12:42:08 am »
Wow. It's been a long and frustrating few months with seemingly everything getting in the way of my modelling time (sickness, family commitments, work, and finally a much needed holiday.) I've not been completely idle however...

The first job I was taking on was to find and fix an intermittent fault with a couple of the point motors in my fiddle yard. It seemed like it would be easy enough to sort out - narrow it down to the offending items, test connections and/or replace as necessary. In reality it was much more tedious than that as there was actually nothing at all wrong with the motors. Instead it was a faulty terminal strip that had some bad insulation between a couple of connectors that would periodically create a short circuit. On the plus side it was a cheap item to replace once I'd figured out where the problem was.

With that done, and my desire to work on the electrics somewhat diminished, I moved on to doing the first bits of scenic work on the fiddle yard table. I'm going with a base of chicken wire (or similar) covered with plaster bandage and finally skimmed with a slightly diluted lightweight spackle to smooth out any bumps. Initially I tried half-inch mesh as when I've used this method before I found that the plaster bandage would sag into the gaps and a lot of filling was required to get a suitable finish. It didn't go particularly well. While the end result was pretty good as there was no sagging, with the tighter mesh it was a total nightmare trying to bend and fold it to get the shape I wanted.

After a few false starts, the following method was established for creating the wire base:

• Cut lightweight insulation board to shape and glue in place just below the top of the fascia board
  • Roughly cut the wire mesh to size
  • Bend to shape
  • Push edges into the insulation board, or where it meets the ply trackbed, drill holes and insert the wire through, folding it over under the board to keep it firmly in place
  • Add glue to the wire/insulation board join to make sure nothing comes apart unexpectedly

Next I applied a couple of layers of the plaster cloth, followed by a light brushing with a wet paintbrush to help spread any leftover plaster into the holes. After an hour or so, the diluted spackle was painted on to smooth off the surface. I'm pretty happy with the end result although a few more areas need to be smoothed out a little with some more plaster and then a light sanding.

The last part of this stage of work was to tackle the gaps in the sleepers where I have my track feeds and rail joins. Initially I tried to use the peso replacement sleepers but that proved to be rather hard - I should probably have done this as I was laying the track. In the end I used a few left over pieces of flexi track and cut the sleeper ends off one by one, followed by the parts from the four-foot. These were then very carefully glued in place using some very fine tweezers. It was an incredibly slow job but after the glue has dried it looks really quite good. From a normal viewing distance, it's quite hard to spot them and will be almost impossible once the ballast has been added.

- Andy

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2018, 06:38:37 am »
It looks as though you've been plugging away quite steadily and methodically.  It's all coming together nicely.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations