!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Molesworth Vale  (Read 4694 times)

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Molesworth Vale
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 09:00:39 pm »
That looks like a neat approach.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 09:38:55 pm »
Making the trackbed open plan like you have makes it easier to create scenery above and below it, Andy.
Nice job.

Offline longbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 10:54:59 pm »
Andy - with all those running lines I suspect you are going to need a bigger fiddle yard.

Offline zopadooper

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 08:50:14 am »
I notice you have a zed bend on your inner loop, near the front.  What radius curves are you using?  I have a similar bend using Kato track and my newly acquired Dapol Flying Scotsman won't go round it without derailing the tender, even though it copes with the smallest Kato curves on a basic circle  Any help from anyone?

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 06:49:50 pm »
Andy - with all those running lines I suspect you are going to need a bigger fiddle yard.

That's a fair point. The current plan allows for 3 sidings in each direction while leaving one route open for continuous running and I intend for the station area to allow for some more on-scene storage, but I'm definitely still looking into ways to squeeze in additional hidden storage tracks. Any suggestions are gratefully received!

I notice you have a zed bend on your inner loop, near the front.  What radius curves are you using?  I have a similar bend using Kato track and my newly acquired Dapol Flying Scotsman won't go round it without derailing the tender, even though it copes with the smallest Kato curves on a basic circle  Any help from anyone?

The smallest radius curve that I have is 15 inches and the reverse curve you are referring to is a pair of 24 inch curves. I've had no issues with any of my locos (including Duchesses and Britannias)  going over similar alignments that are significantly tighter and to be safe, I'll make sure this happens in the middle of a stretch of flexi-track so I avoid any rail joins. Speaking of which, these are where in my experience most derailing issues occur, especially when using settrack components and the like. I assume you've already checked that the join between track pieces is perfectly square, but it's worth rechecking as those larger locos can sometimes struggle with the tiniest alignment issue. Also, I know of instances where just replacing one of the track components for another from a different location can solve similar issues.

Regards,

- Andy

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 09:20:29 pm »
I'm definitely still looking into ways to squeeze in additional hidden storage tracks. Any suggestions are gratefully received!

By putting curved points into the inner oval bends bottom left and right you could increase the length of the loops on the inner loop. The same could be accomplished on the outer loop by putting a point in as part of the curve at each side i.e. a left hand point at the LHS and a right hand point at the RHS. This won't help you gain more loops but will increase the length of the existing ones such that you could maybe split them into 2 by dint of isolating sections.

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 11:23:57 pm »
Much depends on how you want to operate the layout. Best advice is to plan out an operating session on paper from start to finish - including marshalling your stock - and see how your fiddle yard would cope with it.

Loops are best but if you are length constrained you could add up and down sidings either side. You could also consider a traverser or cassettes, or some combination of the above. 

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 11:52:57 pm »
Much depends on how you want to operate the layout. Best advice is to plan out an operating session on paper from start to finish - including marshalling your stock - and see how your fiddle yard would cope with it.

Thanks for the tip on planning an operating session. Does anyone here have any software they use for this (other than a spreadsheet) and/or for generating freight movements (i.e. a system to say "transport box van A from town B to industry C")?

- Andy

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 06:42:26 am »
I do all mine on a set of Excel spreadsheets.  I use one to calculate the running times, based on speed and distance, allowing for acceleration and deceleration, one to show the movement sequence, one to interlock the movements so that I don't get two trains on the same track, one to show the routes through the points, one to work out the point switching sequence, one that acts as a train graph and a final one the puts it all together to show what to do when.  I know it sounds complex, but it's good fun to work it all out.  I'm sure there must be a computer program that will do it all for you, but I like the challenge of working it out.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline zopadooper

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 08:52:36 am »
[/quote]

The smallest radius curve that I have is 15 inches and the reverse curve you are referring to is a pair of 24 inch curves. I've had no issues with any of my locos (including Duchesses and Britannias)  going over similar alignments that are significantly tighter and to be safe, I'll make sure this happens in the middle of a stretch of flexi-track so I avoid any rail joins. Speaking of which, these are where in my experience most derailing issues occur, especially when using settrack components and the like. I assume you've already checked that the join between track pieces is perfectly square, but it's worth rechecking as those larger locos can sometimes struggle with the tiniest alignment issue. Also, I know of instances where just replacing one of the track components for another from a different location can solve similar issues.

Thanks for your comments.  The alignment is ok.  The problem seems to be the loco and tender both moving forward on parallel paths and the link between them not being long enough.  I think I have solved it by inserting a very short straight between the two curves.  The bends are tight but I am trying to replicate a real-life hairpin bend on the Boston to Skegness line at Wainfleet, upon which I am basing my layout.

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2017, 03:33:00 pm »
I like the period you intend modelling.

I draw the line when it all went blue and grey!!!
According to my calculations that would be the thin white stripe about two-fifths of the way up the side of the coach body just below the windows? Hard work, but someone has to do it, I guess.

Anyway interesting layout concept, will follow with interest.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 09:26:50 pm »
Hi All,

Thanks to a 3-day weekend, I've been able to make some good progress. Work started with placement of the alignment dowels at the table joins. This was something I had been putting off as my carpentry skills are rather limited. Thankfully, the kits I am using (from DCC Concepts) are actually very well made and fairly easy to install.

Following that job, I moved back to adding the scenic formers. I now have 3 out of the 4 tables completed.

The 'end' table has been the most difficult to piece together but after a number of hours and some very bad language, everything slotted into the correct position.

The final job for the weekend was to cut and position the trackbed for the 'station' table and once gradients are all confirmed, fix it into place.

I'm actually pretty pleased with how things are looking so far. I just need to finish the supports for the last table, and then cut and place the trackbed for the two end tables, at which point I should be done with the woodwork (except for the backscenes, which will be added at a later date). Hopefully this will all be done within the next week and I can start to move on to laying the first pieces of track.

I've been rethinking the design of the fiddle yard based on previous comments and should have a revised plan in a day or two...

- Andy

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2017, 09:36:37 pm »
Your woodworking skills are enviable, Andy. Lancashire could have done with you building an ark this morning!!

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2017, 07:03:58 am »
Lancashire could have done with you building an ark this morning!!

We're having the opposite problem here - we've had a horrible time with smokey air from all the California wildfires and SF just set a new highest temp in recorded history for itself of 106 degrees! Mind you, that has been a good excuse for ducking into the railway room to work as it is much cooler there than anywhere else in the house...

- Andy

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2017, 07:39:34 am »
Brilliant work, Andy!! Coming along superbly.  :thumbsup:

Living in Australia, I sympathise with current conditions weather wise. We cop it here too.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here