!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Molesworth Vale  (Read 5122 times)

Offline andy-sf

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Molesworth Vale
« on: August 29, 2017, 07:44:38 am »

:hellosign:

I've been lurking on this site for several years now and the time has finally come to actually build my own layout rather than just read about other people's achievements...

Molesworth Vale has been in the pipeline for almost two years but with other obligations I never seemed to get anything started - until recently that is. This is going to be a very long term project, but I'm hoping that by starting a layout thread of my own, I will force myself into getting more done. Anyway, on to the details...

The layout is 12ft x 6.5ft (2ft wide benchwork surrounding an operating well) and features an inverted figure 8 double track mainline. I plan to base things very loosely in the mid-60s to allow me to run steam/early diesel stock but the region is deliberately vague. 'Molesworth' is the name of the featured station/goods yard, which has yet to be finalized. I have a long run through the countryside with the ability to continuously run trains without them passing through the station. This way, I can do some shunting within the station limits without worrying about collisions! Here's the track plan:

I'm still playing with ideas for the fiddle yard as I'm trying to find a way to maximize the siding length without compromising operational flexibility. Construction actually began some time ago and I'll be adding a couple of posts over the next few days to catch up to where I am now.

Any advice/comments are greatly appreciated.

- Andy

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Molesworth Vale
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 07:59:06 am »
Welcome aboard, Andy!  I particularly like the idea of a long run through the countryside - it's the way to watch trains in nostalgic fashion.  Also, the facility for continuous running is a good idea.  It will allow you to run in the locos and keep them in condition with regular continuous running sessions.  It will be good to see how you develop the layout.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 08:07:17 am »
G'day from Australia, Andy, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

Your project looks great. Looking forward to developments!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 08:26:19 am »
Welcome aboard.
That looks a great project. Please do keep us up to date with developments.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 08:35:45 am »
Hi Andy,

Welcome. Good idea to start the thread. I feel it pushes me a little bit more than a snails pace if you know you have an audience. Unfortunately, only a little bit more  :)

Layout plan looks great and like others looking forward to your build.

See you're in the US. Is -sf for San Francisco?

Have fun,

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 08:40:41 am »
Welcome aboard, Andy.

Your plan looks like the basis of an excellent layout.

I look forward to following progress.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 08:41:20 am »
I like the period you intend modelling.

I draw the line when it all went blue and grey!!!

I've just got most of our members back up!  :sorrysign:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 09:50:48 am »
Hi Andy, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I like the look of your track plan. What track system are you using please?
Is the fiddle yard open to view or hidden behind a backscene?
(I have a plan to help extend the fiddle yard length but it would involve curved points on the inner circuit.)

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 06:53:50 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

So, first up, answers to a couple of questions:

See you're in the US. Is -sf for San Francisco?

Yep, the 'sf' is for San Francisco. Ive been living here for 10 years or so now, but was originally from Coventry.

What track system are you using please?
Is the fiddle yard open to view or hidden behind a backscene?
(I have a plan to help extend the fiddle yard length but it would involve curved points on the inner circuit.)

I should probably have mentioned this in my post. I'm using Peco Finescale Code 55, powered by DCC, and all points etc will controlled using Cobalt S Levers and Cobalt IP point motors. The part of the inner loop by the fiddle yard is on an incline up to the crossover. This, combined with what will then need to be a fairly high backscene, will make seeing what is happening in the hidden sidings a little difficult. To solve this, I am planning to use a couple of cheap webcams to provide a live feed to my operating position. I'll be able to see where I'm stopping, which tracks are occupied, and with what.

Back to the actual build. The layout consists of four tables, 2 @ 8ft x 2ft, and 2 @ 6.5ft x 2ft. Table joins will be held together using alignment dowels and toggle latches. Woodworking is not my strong point but I'm pretty happy with the way things have turned out. Some of the angles aren't perfectly square, but with some sanding etc, everything lines up well.

After a couple of coats of paint for protection, and the addition of adjustable feet to mitigate the somewhat uneven floor, this is how things look (I know everything looks crooked, but the tables have only been very roughly positioned!) :

The area of the garage where the layout resides has since been converted into its own room and will look much better in my next post...

- Andy

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 07:14:20 pm »
POW! What an amazing couple of first posts Andy. :laugh3: Keep 'em coming, please! And welcome aboard. :wave:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 07:24:36 pm »
Hi Andy,

Woodwork looks great.

I won't say both of the words my wife said when you answered it was San Francisco. The first one being Lucky. We've been 4 times and we both love it but she absolutely head over heels loves it  (waiting for the lottery win). Don't know if you like baseball but I'm a Giants fan and have been to AT & T Park a couple of times. Even that's in a beautiful setting to me. (Not doing well at all this season so I'll leave it there).

I'm not DCC so am lost there but still looking forward to everything.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 07:49:51 pm »
Thanks Weave and RailGooner!

Weave: Yeah, I'm pretty lucky to be living around here - it's an amazing place to call home. I try to get to a few Giants games when I can but this season has been pretty ugly, to say the least! We always do better on the 'even' years so finger's crossed for next season...

- Andy
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 07:52:08 pm by andy-sf »

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 07:55:38 pm »
I love the baseboards.  That looks like the basis of a really good layout.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 11:07:26 pm »
Looking fantastic, Andy!  :thumbsup:

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 08:40:41 pm »
Hi All,

Another 'catch-up' update...

As this track plan requires so many different elevations, I'm trying a new (to me) construction technique. Rather than just a flat board pinned on top of the tables, I'm adding plywood formers at regular intervals and then attaching the trackbed onto these. Here is the proposed arrangement of supports:

The first table to be worked on is the fiddle yard as it's relatively simple and lets me make sure this approach will work. After cutting the basic fins and placing them on the layout, it's time to refer to my big design folder where I have each individual support drawn to scale and annotated with key dimensions. It might be overkill, but it's nice to have a complete reference for the future.

After carefully transferring the plans onto the plywood, they are trimmed to the final shape and fixed in place. The trackbed itself can them be cut out and attached to the supports.

I'm pretty happy with how this is working out, and the gradients are all nice and smooth. At the table joins I have a 3-inch flat section on each side and the first span of the incline is of a slightly gentler angle so locos can ease into the climb a little. The next task will be to add the support/fascia at the end of each table and then place the alignment dowels to ensure a good connection.

- Andy

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything