Dunkirk Film

Started by d-a-n, July 24, 2017, 06:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d-a-n

Went to see the Dunkirk film last night at the cinema and it was incredible. There's even a glimpse of Weymouth tramway and later, Southern rolling stock in it at the end courtesy of the Swanage railway!

Bealman

Great to hear they got the important stuff right  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Apparently not, the Southern stock is 1970s!

Tank

I can't wait to see it!

njee20

The film generally, or the incorrect southern stock? ;)

d-a-n

Quote from: njee20 on July 24, 2017, 08:46:07 AM

Hate to be a pedant but the bogie b and cct wagons that you see from the carriage window (painted dark green) seemed pretty appropriate. The carriage they're in is probably a mk1 SO pained green but it does have the carriage set number painted on the end so at least it's the correct region for the area!!

Bealman

It's only a movie but judging by the reviews, looks like a good depiction of the event.

Newportnobby

I'd love to see it at the cinema but sadly, for a couple of years now, I can't abide the incredible level they set the sound at as it pounds through my chest in waves and I feel extremely uncomfortable. Having had a triple bypass and a defib/pacemaker fitted has just compounded the problem so I'll just have to wait for the DVD which will be nowhere near as spectacular on my 37" telly :(

Bealman

Hey get up with the new tech.

Anne's watching Master chef Australia while I transmit a video wirelessly into the other TV!

.... Me favourite movie, the full Monty, actually.

;D :beers:

njee20

Quote from: d-a-n on July 24, 2017, 09:12:24 AM
Quote from: njee20 on July 24, 2017, 08:46:07 AM

Hate to be a pedant but the bogie b and cct wagons that you see from the carriage window (painted dark green) seemed pretty appropriate. The carriage they're in is probably a mk1 SO pained green but it does have the carriage set number painted on the end so at least it's the correct region for the area!!

Pedant away, just copying what I read elsewhere. Unless it's post privatisation I've not got a clue!

d-a-n

Quote from: newportnobby on July 24, 2017, 09:40:08 AM
I'd love to see it at the cinema but sadly, for a couple of years now, I can't abide the incredible level they set the sound at as it pounds through my chest in waves and I feel extremely uncomfortable. Having had a triple bypass and a defib/pacemaker fitted has just compounded the problem so I'll just have to wait for the DVD which will be nowhere near as spectacular on my 37" telly :(

The sound at Lowry cinema was loud - the gunfire, explosions and roaring Merlin engines really shook the theatre

Carmont

I have to say, that I found it disappointing. Particularly as it was from one of my favourite directors. The incessant film "score" was largely counter-productive, far too many continuity errors from shot to shot and more than a few technical errors, early war, carburettor Spitfires nosing over into a dive without the fuel cutting out anyone?  (and no spoiler, but the sequence after the Spitfire engine cut out due to fuel starvation was quite frankly ludicrous).

I'm all for big screen entertainment and excitement, but from Nolan I expected a reasonably accurate depiction. Sadly it just didn't live up to its billing, for me.

I was, however, pleasantly impressed by Harry Styles turn in the film. He has the makings of an actor, certainly. The ticking away of the seconds throughout the film was a clever touch, and the bringing together of the three threads was also clever and well done, but I have to say I left feeling underwhelmed at an opportunity missed. Band of Brothers did this sort of thing much, much better.

njee20

Quote from: Carmont on July 24, 2017, 01:44:57 PMI'm all for big screen entertainment and excitement, but from Nolan I expected a reasonably accurate depiction. Sadly it just didn't live up to its billing, for me.

I agree, his depiction of a dystopian Gotham City is among the most realistic I've seen ;)

I can't help but think people have unrealistic expectations from films/TV sometimes. I've heard a lot of good things about Dunkirk, and if the worst criticism we can level at it is that there's a scene where a Spitfire's engine should cut out then I'll take it!

Carmont

Quote from: njee20 on July 24, 2017, 06:28:51 PM
Quote from: Carmont on July 24, 2017, 01:44:57 PMI'm all for big screen entertainment and excitement, but from Nolan I expected a reasonably accurate depiction. Sadly it just didn't live up to its billing, for me.

I agree, his depiction of a dystopian Gotham City is among the most realistic I've seen ;)

I can't help but think people have unrealistic expectations from films/TV sometimes. I've heard a lot of good things about Dunkirk, and if the worst criticism we can level at it is that there's a scene where a Spitfire's engine should cut out then I'll take it!

It isn't the worst thing that can be levelled at the film, but it was one example without ruining the film for those who want to go and see it. On a forum that lambasts TV and Filmmakers for including railway stock and locomotives on screen entirely out of the correct time line and context, I didn't think my observation at all inappropriate in a review about the film. Incidentally, the railway carriage the protagonists travelled on at the tale end of the film had seating fabric which looked decidedly un-Southern and un-1940s.

Batman, as I'm sure you are aware is not the only film Nolan has made. The amount of research and scientific accuracy that he carried out and presented respectively in Interstellar, suggested to me that he cared about things being right, hence my disappointment when viewing Dunkirk. At no time in the film did he make me believe or feel that there were anywhere near 300,000 soldiers anywhere near the beach. The "music" in the film was so loud and relentless that it removed any real terror or alarm at diving Junkers 87s. It also drowned out much of the rare dialogue. The number of air and land attacks on the evacuation was so sparse that many viewing would be forgiven for wondering what all the fuss was about. Nolan set out to present a historical film, by his own admission. Unfortunately, for me, it was anything but historical. The phrase all fur coat and no knickers springs to mind. It felt lazy and half baked.

Others mileage may vary.

As an aside, nejee20, once again on this forum, you've shown an inability to respond or reply to a fair and reasoned post with anything other than poorly delivered sarcasm. I add my name to what I understand is a growing list  growing list of members who has you, henceforth, on ignore. Its only fair that I should tell you, lest you feel aggrieved when I don't respond to any of your future replies on any thread.

Take care and enjoy the film.

njee20

Can you unignore me long enough to get my username right, please? Common courtesy and that!  :thankyousign:

It's a subject that's certainly been done before on here (but there are probably few things left in the universe that's not been discussed at some point), I'm the sort of person able to suspend belief for a film, and don't find such things detract from my enjoyment of a film. We don't need to get back into it.

I've only heard good things about the film, I've not managed to see it, having a baby gets in the way irritatingly, so really my contribution isn't really valid (I'm sure many are now thinking 'mmm, like usual'), but I'm slightly bemused that the things you've highlighted detract from it that much. That said, not posting spoilers is a good shout, so perhaps there are other more crucial failings you've not mentioned.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations