!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 31935 times)

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
Re: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #630 on: June 04, 2018, 08:54:01 pm »
I can't decide what to do with the space.  A '00' version of the Table-Top Railway with lovely old Wrenn stock?

Wash your mouth out with soap and water young man!

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #631 on: June 04, 2018, 10:43:21 pm »
 :hellosign: Looking forward to developments John, sounds excellent
     regards Derek.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #632 on: June 05, 2018, 08:31:45 pm »
I can't decide what to do with the space.  A '00' version of the Table-Top Railway with lovely old Wrenn stock?

With a statement like that a trip to the funny farm is in order :laugh3:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #633 on: June 10, 2018, 09:56:08 pm »
Hello Chums

I have been in Highland Railway territory paying attention to two aged and poorly relatives and have been away from the Forum and the Table-Top Railway.  I did see the 'Royal Scotsman' leaving Inverness, though.  That would be a jolly nice train in 'N' gauge!

I have a picture for you of another jolly nice train:

I am most grateful to @Newportnobby for this brace of spiffing, good-as-new, 'Minitrix' Mark 1 BSK carriages in the very attractive BR(W) chocolate and cream livery.  I have a matching CK which will run with the BSKs to form a three-carriage train.  There has not been a 1960/1961 operating session for absolutely ages, but this train will require a BR locomotive to haul it.  I'll extract the diesel locomotives from their lair at an early opportunity and move the big lever on the time machine forward by about twenty-five years.

Thank you very much, Mick, for this welcome addition to the 1960/1961 rolling stock available for use on the layout.

Thank you for looking.

All best wishes.

Cheerie-bye!

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #634 on: June 10, 2018, 10:11:32 pm »
You are most welcome, Sirrah ;D

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #635 on: June 11, 2018, 06:31:28 am »
They are very nice models, John, and do look especially attractive in the BR WR Chocolate & Cream livery re-introduced for some BR Standard (later, Mark I) corridor stock for 'named' trains in 1956 (the WR management introducing many more titled trains to take advantage of this dispensation from the BTC). The decision to abandon Chocolate & Cream was taken c. April 1962, although the BRB instruction took quite a long time before such stock appeared in BR Lined Maroon. The coaches are, actually, BCKs, as the 1 on one of the passenger doors indicates. However, some of the Minitrix BCKs and CKs were produced without 1st Class markings as pseudo BSKs and SKs. (I thought I had already sent you a Minitrix BCK and CK in BR WR Chocolate & Cream livery?) I look forward to seeing your 1100 H.P. D.6300 Class (as they were titled in the BR Working Timetables) NB Type 2 with them, soon, on a through portion of an express.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #636 on: June 11, 2018, 09:52:48 am »
They are very nice models, John, and do look especially attractive in the BR WR Chocolate & Cream livery re-introduced for some BR Standard (later, Mark I) corridor stock for 'named' trains in 1956 (the WR management introducing many more titled trains to take advantage of this dispensation from the BTC). The decision to abandon Chocolate & Cream was taken c. April 1962, although the BRB instruction took quite a long time before such stock appeared in BR Lined Maroon. The coaches are, actually, BCKs, as the 1 on one of the passenger doors indicates. However, some of the Minitrix BCKs and CKs were produced without 1st Class markings as pseudo BSKs and SKs. (I thought I had already sent you a Minitrix BCK and CK in BR WR Chocolate & Cream livery?) I look forward to seeing your 1100 H.P. D.6300 Class (as they were titled in the BR Working Timetables) NB Type 2 with them, soon, on a through portion of an express.

Many thanks, Chris.  You are correct of course, the carriages are BCKs - I must have had a lapse between brain (or what passes for it) and fingers.   When Stanley Raymond went to the WR in 1962 he lost little time in breaking up the chocolate and cream trains.  Much as we enthusiasts love the WR, especially in the 'Decent Years' of 1956 - 1961 when it appeared that the GWR was returning - in spirit at least, it was losing a lot of money.  Mr Raymond and, from 1963, Gerry Fiennes, were set the task of making the region profitable.  Mr Fiennes wrote about this with his usual clarity in 'I tried to Run a Railway'.  But it must have been a very difficult time for many of the long-serving and loyal Western railwaymen.

I'm going to get the NBL 'Type 2' and its chums (not the 'Deltic', though, as D9007 Pinza did not enter service until 22 June 1961!) into action today.  The train set room will exchange the glorious aroma of steam for the pong of diesel traction.  That's progress for you! 

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #637 on: June 11, 2018, 10:04:05 am »
They are know as 'chip fat fryers', John, and can often be seen being dragged along at the tail end of steam railtours. After all, those in Premier Dining tend to get a bit uppity if they can't have chips with their meal. :D
I'm heading to Bamber Bridge station tomorrow morning to film just such an event - The Fellsman

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #638 on: June 11, 2018, 08:39:21 pm »
Strict Prototypical Operational Accuracy

Not, I accept, a phrase that one associates with the Table-Top Railway which operates purely for the entertainment of its builder, visitors to the train set room and the family cat.  But today we achieved our version of finescale modelling - Scalefail.

I got the three diesel locomotives out of their hiding place and coupled them to their respective trains.  As previously noted, D6326, the NBL 'Type 2' B-B, was diagrammed to work the new train comprising a pair of BR 'Mark 1' BCKs in WR chocolate and cream livery.  A two coach train ought to be within the capability of even an NBL.  I got the train circulating nicely on the Down line and sat back with a cup of tea and a large piece of cherry cake (a reward from our neighbour for bringing in her dustbins).  A tea cup in one hand and cake fork in the other - perfick!

After a couple of enjoyable minutes, I thought that the train might be running a tad slower, but dismissed this as a product of my imagination and continued to tuck in.  Then it happened; the train stopped as if the driver had made a full brake application, there was an orange glow from inside the locomotive and smoke.  The trusty Gaugemaster 'Series D' went 'click'.  All in about a second.  Quickly setting aside the tea and cake, I turned the power off.  The pungent pong in the room was now exactly the kind of smell that concentrates the mind and I carried the errant 'Type 2' (it was hot as well!) outside.

So there we are - a highly realistic NBL locomotive failure.  Once it had cooled down, I returned the B-B to its train to take a photograph.  True to form, the 'Type 2' had failed over the points at the south end of the Down 'Back Loop', adding to operational inconvenience.

I now don't have enough diesel locomotives to work all the diagrams so steam will have to save the day.  Total realism on the Table-Top Railway!

This is my only Dapol diesel locomotive and I look forward to experiencing their contracted-out warranty arrangements...

Many thanks for looking and all the very best.

Toodle-pip.

John

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #639 on: June 11, 2018, 09:13:06 pm »
I have a Type 2 too. I hope that doesn't happen to me. I have a couple of Minitrix coaches.I'll dig them out to see if through running is possible.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #640 on: June 11, 2018, 09:22:55 pm »
Cripes, John!

I do hope it can be fixed for you.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #641 on: June 12, 2018, 07:28:40 am »
  :'( Hope they will fix it!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #642 on: June 12, 2018, 08:19:07 am »
I do hope the authorities manage to repair the Class 22.
No doubt BR engineers are, as we write, poring over the electrical innards to identify the cause of the fault.
Maybe, a slice of that delicious sounding chetty cake will help them with their investigations.

Your experience does call into question the wisdom of train operators in and around Trepol Bay and Port Perran who, on occasion, allow locomotives to be run in on an unsupervised basis for lengthy periods.
Maybe new rules need to be implemented.

Good luck with Dapol.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #643 on: June 12, 2018, 09:28:46 am »
Good morning and many commiserations on the failure of your Dapol NB Type 2. I hope that it will be returned, fully repaired soon. I wonder whether the power controller was a contributory factor sending too much power to the stalled loco.? As, for running in purposes, locos. are supposed to run continuously, your unfortunate experience is rather worrying.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #644 on: June 13, 2018, 10:14:14 pm »
An Aristocratic Lady

What-ho Chums,

Following the worrying attempt of the Dapol NBL 'Type 2' B-B to set fire to the train set room and its occupants, Poppy and I have decided that we are much safer with steam engines (we are aware that Bulleid 'Pacifics' in their original state did have a tendency to catch fire but we don't have one of these charismatic locomotives - yet).

But we do have this 'Pacific', which I don't think you have seen.  A non-Union Mills steam engine is a rare sight on the Table-Top Railway.

[Did the 'Princess Coronations' ever look better than this?  No. 6233 Duchess of Sutherland is held at the Up platform starting signal.  These safety valves will likely lift soon.]

This was the first 'Duchess' that I saw.  Sadly, not on Beattock Bank, but at Butlin's holiday camp at Ayr.  No, we were not happy campers - we were on the public road outside peering in through the fence!  Thanks are due to Sir Billy Butlin for saving this magnificent machine - and others.

Our No. 6233 is by Graham Farish; China rather than Poole, I'm afraid, and runs quite well.  There is maybe just a hint of Hornby-Dublo about her, probably due to the smaller-than-scale wheels.

Many thanks for looking and all good wishes.

Toodle-pip.

John and Poppy

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything