!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Detailing a UM T9  (Read 628 times)

Offline longbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
Detailing a UM T9
« on: May 06, 2017, 01:28:49 am »
I have just acquired a UM T9 and I'm pondering some detailing. I can't find any articles on this so here's my list. Any thoughts please or pointers as to where to find parts?

- Loco Crew (ModelU)
- Metal Handrails and cab rails (N Brass or maybe M7 spares)
- New Buffers (From ?)
- Buffer Beam details (N Brass, ModelU)
- Improved boiler fittings (N Brass)
- Improved bogie wheels (?)
- Blackened wheel rims (How ?)
- Finer coupling rods and pins (From ?)
- Repaint, weathering and DCC fitting

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Re: Detailing a UM T9
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 12:35:32 pm »
Most of what you listed, nearly all the bits you can get from Nbrass, coupling rods careful work with a file, blackened wheel rims might not be a good idea, may affect current collection; Vac pipes and lamp irons OK but what's wrong with the bogie wheels?

Paint job - Ozymandius of this forum.

The UM model is of the Wide cab version and as such is only correct for the period from around 1930 onwards, 337 & 338 retained their Watercart tenders  so would not be valid as supplied. The reason for the 6 wheel tenders was to enable the class to fit on turntables on the Eastern and Central sections, they are not correct for use on Western section layouts until WW2 onwards -so not a problem if you model BR period. Also not correct for LSWR period as they were not superheated until 1920s.

IF you model 1930s then you need to file or mill about 0.5mm off each cab side and splashers and use a Langley S15 tender on a Fleischmann chassis, or use the UM drive with extra pair of wheels and spokes. Worsley Works used to do an etched watercart body kit, not sure if they are still available.

I'm working on adding spokes to UM tender wheels and will be posting  details and pics later today or tomorrow.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline keithfre

• N Gauge Society Number: 5036
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 12:37:41 pm »
I'm working on adding spokes to UM tender wheels and will be posting  details and pics later today or tomorrow.
Look forward to reading about that, I was wondering about ways of doing it.

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 12:43:42 pm »
Thanks. Mine is a BR version so I can live with the 3-axle tender. The trickiest bit looks to be removing the moulded handrails without gouging the boiler.

Offline Ricardus Harfelde

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24996
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 09:38:08 pm »
. The trickiest bit looks to be removing the moulded handrails without gouging the boiler.

My first attempt at this using a scalpel blade ended up with a fair amount of said gouging. I found I got a much better result using a 1.5mm square section graver (a Vallorbe LO0501-1 50-WS), I also find this very useful for tidying up right angled soldered joints, e.g. between a cab side & footplate

Richard

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything