!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Milliedale-on-Sea - board yet? :D  (Read 5017 times)

Offline Black Sheep

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Milliedale-on-Sea - a bit of history
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2018, 08:51:00 am »
Yes, CD players do seem to have a limited life span. I have had a few expire and it seems that relatively cheap replacements get harder to find.

On the track - proceed with caution. Straight sections may be ok at slightly closer spacing but you may have problems with curves, sharper the curve more likely a problem. Depends on what rolling stock you will have. Longer coaches are worse and class 08 diesels are notoriously wide. Before fixing any track, test, test, test, and then test once more! Good luck and keep going.  :)

This section is the marshalling yard so only one loco will be running at once in this area, it's simply a ladder of short points (not ST-5 or 6, how dare you suggest such a thing sir!) which have given the spacing to the straight sidings, which are straight track, so worst case scenario is I can't get a bogie bolster in if I've filled the adjacent siding too full and am overhanging the point a little bit :D

Point taken about the 08, I've got one of the LMS shunters from Farish, I'd best double check spacing :D

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2018, 10:02:13 am »
As Keith says, you can get away with things with straight track you probably wouldn't with curves.
I can't see you having any issues apart from maybe not being able to get fingers between the tracks if summat derails.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2018, 10:14:15 am »
As Keith says, you can get away with things with straight track you probably wouldn't with curves.
I can't see you having any issues apart from maybe not being able to get fingers between the tracks if summat derails.

I have got fairly adapt at railing things up in awkward places, failing that I'll have to empty the siding into the goods yard / station siding and shunt it back in, not a huge issue.

Right, I'll crack on with the rest of it then!

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2018, 10:47:16 pm »
No progress in the layout room, but did spend the afternoon with my dad (and mum) at the Middleton railway (Ironically in Hunslet) while my wife and daughter were at a concert with some pop stars from the 90's topping up their pension pot.

I got to drive a steam loco for 5 plus the admission cost to the model railway exhibition :D 

Also got these for 10, looks like I'll be needing clearance on the bridges under the station throat then!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2018, 09:15:57 am »
Tut Tut. Living where you do, I hope you'll be changing the adverts to 'Yorkshire Tea' :D

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2018, 09:46:24 am »
Tut Tut. Living where you do, I hope you'll be changing the adverts to 'Yorkshire Tea' :D

Adverts will be changed to promote local businesses on the layout, possibly including a certain brewery, but yes, Yorkshire Tea may make an appearance.

No idea if they'll just be static or if they'll actually run. I do want to compare them with the Oxford diecast one I've got tucked away somewhere as they do feel rather large, but then again, trams are.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2018, 11:05:11 pm »

The good news is that I've made a start on tracing the track plan and progress isn't too steady:

Although I have stopped sooner than planned as some of my tracks appear to be a little narrow...

Peco's gauge gives two track spacings, ''set track'' and 'streamline' the latter being the narrower of the two.

The sidings here are based on the short turn-outs and simply take the track spacing a ladder of turnouts gives me, which, with a ruler is 12mm which is a scale 6ft and two wagons grabbed at random seem ok sat on the lines

I'm wondering if it might be ok provided nothing with outside cylinders goes looking for a train!

So, on the suggestion of a few people (I think on Facebook) I have placed a couple of items of rolling stock on two lengths of track to check for clearance, my LMS diesel shunter (the pre BR class 08) and my Tomix Thomas as these are probably the two bulkiest items of rolling stock I have and there is probably space for someone to walk between them and climb up into the cab, although I wouldn't like to be between them if one was moving, a bit more clearance is probably required for running lines, but for what this part of the layout is, a marshalling yard, I think it looks fine close together.

With the announcement of Peco's Unifrog, which is supposed to make wiring easier, I'm wondering if I need to stockpile the rest of the points I require so that they all match as I can't help thinking that the plastic break in them is going to build static and attract muck. Peco say that there will be a gradual phasing over to the new product.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2018, 10:39:26 pm »
This feels like a quick throwing a mail-bag off a passing train between holiday destinations.

Plodding on with board C (working backwards)

I think this board might have 1/2 the layout's point work on it!

Got the marshalling yard and part of the depot on here, the front half is the station.

In other news the CD player has been replaced by Black Ewe who aquired it in Asda, it's not going to win any awards for sound quality but it's good enough for what I'm wanting

In other news with the layout, I've got a brilliant tunnel portal tucked away for the west-most tunnel nearest the lido.

I've also been looking at the number of points I have and require, finding that I've got about half of what I need, and the two double slips I acquired some time ago are insulfrog, not electrofrog so a bit of exchanging on eBay (unless anyone reading wished to purchase them)

I've also discovered that a couple of the points on the layout look as though they will end up being the new unifrog ones as code 55 medium turnouts SL-395E and SL-396E appear to have been discontinued, replaced with the new unifrog which are getting mixed reviews on the various N gauge Facebook groups.

As I understand it, the unifrog is bonded electrically from the stock rails so it's not reliant on switchblade contact for current, it then has a gap each side of the frog and the frog is, as default, not powered but a wire is pre-fitted should you wish to have it powered. The intent is to replace insulfrog & electrofrog with one range - currently they appear to be a few cheaper than the standard electrofrog, but that may change...

I'm also working on couplings, having successfully soldered some DG couplings together I now need to trim the coupling plate to try and fit it within a standard coupling mount, wedged in with a bit of plasticard saving too much surgery to locos and wagons alike, to this end I purchased a piercing saw and some blades so fine I can hardly see the teeth, however I've not got far as the blade keeps catching the rather small coupling making it slow going for now, probably doing something wrong  :D

Speaking of couplings - Lawrence, I haven't forgotten to send the Dapol ones, merely been a bit useless and not sent them yet, I will endeavour to do so after travels are finished.  :sorrysign:

PS, very hot in the loft, even with windows open

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2018, 06:45:01 am »
Interesting news about the uni-frogs.  I'll have to look into it.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2018, 09:05:48 am »
Many thanks for the update. When I'm home, I'll check to see whether I have any spare, new boxed SL-395E and SL-396E points.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
Re: Milliedale-on-Sea - Wood you believe it...
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2018, 12:06:02 am »
it's getting scary now, sooner or later I need to start cutting and screwing bits to my baseboards!

Currently I'm also considering purchasing a Silhouette Portrait 2 cutter which will, in theory be able to cut out my scalescenes and smart models kits for me, saving me some time, but also improving accuracy, especially when building terraced houses.

Anyone already using one of these or similar?

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2018, 01:27:22 pm »
RE: When I'm home, I'll check to see whether I have any spare, new boxed SL-395E and SL-396E points.

My apologies for the delay. I checked and I have one brand new, spare Peco Streamline Electrofrog N Gauge Code 55 SL-E396F Medium Radius Left-Hand point, if you still need one?

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2018, 04:17:47 pm »
I had popped an order in for the points so that the postage cost was insignificant compared to the order, accepting that I might have to go with unifrog, If you do have some that would help in keeping the wiring for each point the same and I can always sell the unifrog ones on.

Thanks.

If anyone has any "I wish I'd known that when i started" type tips for track laying, please share them :D

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2018, 04:21:42 pm »
I had popped an order in for the points so that the postage cost was insignificant compared to the order, accepting that I might have to go with unifrog, If you do have some that would help in keeping the wiring for each point the same and I can always sell the unifrog ones on.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I only have the one, brand new, spare Peco Streamline Electrofrog N Gauge Code 55 SL-E396F Medium Radius Left-Hand point. I'm going to the post office, tomorrow and can post it to you if you PM me the details.

If anyone has any "I wish I'd known that when i started" type tips for track laying, please share them :D

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2018, 05:23:39 pm »

Don't fasten the track down until you are absolutely certain that it is in its final position - test and test again with various rolling stock!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything