!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Milliedale-on-Sea - a bit of history  (Read 4418 times)

Offline Black Sheep

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Milliedale-on-Sea - a bit of history
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2018, 06:18:53 pm »
One possibility (if you are able to) is to have a loco shed with a hidden (behind a backscene) set of sidings beyond. This has been done on a few layouts. Then you wouldn't have such a complex set of sidings on view.

I can't have a backscene due to the house roof being in the way, it would seal off completely anything behind it.
This is the reason the marshalling yard is on view, combined the marshalling yard and depot are the fiddle yard.

I've just printed out the revised track plan and found that the sidings in the depot are too close for comfort so will have to look at spacing them out a little bit, probably by using medium turnouts instead of small.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2018, 07:09:07 pm »
Thank you. I understand. I hope that you will be able to work something out. Medium turnouts certainly look much better but do, of course, reduce the available siding space.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2018, 09:17:32 pm »
my question is, is it believable as a layout.

I see absolutely no reason why not. After all, there used to be plenty of largish stations with such sidings and a loco depot in the days when I travelled round the country trainspotting. I think plenty of ash/cinders along with paths and wooden rail crossings for crews will be in order.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2018, 10:20:20 pm »
my question is, is it believable as a layout.

I see absolutely no reason why not. After all, there used to be plenty of largish stations with such sidings and a loco depot in the days when I travelled round the country trainspotting. I think plenty of ash/cinders along with paths and wooden rail crossings for crews will be in order.
:hellosign: Totally agree, if you like it  go for it
     regards Derek.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2018, 09:13:20 am »
Yes go for it.
Looks fine
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2018, 12:12:49 pm »
Not much news I'm afraid,

Things are in process to hopefully have raised sections built, track laid and running at some point this year.

From the historical society, we'd always presumed that the school carried the same name as the church, St Leonard's but it turns out this is not the case, while the two are linked (with the Vicarage between them) the school is actually St Kathleen's

As I believe you already know, one of my black 5's is named after my Grandfather, Leonard Freear (as is the church actually)
so the school is to be named after my Gran Kathleen Freear who passed away around midnight last night after not being well for a little while.

hopefully she got to eat her easter-eggs :)

It was, I think, one of my Gran or Grandad's relatives who lived in Morcambe who Mum would take us (and Gran) to visit, I was quite young but I recall the coal buckets going over the road and the bay and promenade in Morcambe and wonder what it was once like, we'd sometimes go see the illuminations on the way home so in some way they've influenced Milliedale-on-Sea. They used to go and stay at Grange over Sands quite often, sending postcards to me and my brother, there's a photo somewhere of my Grandad in his suit on the beach (although that could easily have been Scarborough)

Gran was a baker's daughter, I used to love going to her house as there would always be something in the cake tin, she'd often give me my tea and then I'd cycle home to have whatever my mum had also cooked!

So, to my Gran, so long and thanks for all the cake!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2018, 04:51:52 pm »
Very sorry to hear of your loss :(
You obviously have some smashing memories of your gran, though.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2018, 02:45:23 pm »
Very sorry to hear of your loss :(
You obviously have some smashing memories of your gran, though.

I have indeed :)

Thanks all,

I have plans to progress with the layout and some required parts are on their way, need to turn the baseboards round 180 degrees so that I can start constructing the raised section across the back of the layout and lay track as it'll be easier to access and work on, then put everything back in place and build across the front.

My target is for a loco to make a full circuit of the layout by Christmas.

Progress could be hampered by hostile action from the in-laws as they're coming to stay for a couple of weeks at the end of the month, and then again at the end of summer, Black Lamb starts school in September on half days for a week or two so they'll be across to help with that so we don't need to take time off work at the same time as everyone else tries to.

More updates when they happen, I expect the two threads to merge during this next stage of the layout's life interspersed with more findings from the historical society :)

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2018, 02:57:32 pm »
Sorry to hear about your Gran - she sounds like she was a very nice lady.

It is only about 40 weeks to Christmas!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2018, 03:30:44 pm »

Progress could be hampered by hostile action from the in-laws as they're coming to stay for a couple of weeks at the end of the month, and then again at the end of summer, Black Lamb starts school in September on half days for a week or two so they'll be across to help with that so we don't need to take time off work at the same time as everyone else tries to.

I was going to suggest a battlecry of "Repel all boarders!" but having read further it seems the boarders may be of some use.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2018, 06:07:18 pm »

It is only about 40 weeks to Christmas!

oh, 2019 then :D

I was going to suggest a battlecry of "Repel all boarders!" but having read further it seems the boarders may be of some use.

indeed, I'm often forced to go to the local brewery and chipshop with my father in law, such hard work!

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2018, 02:04:41 pm »
 :sorrysign:

No further progress I'm afraid, other than the odd building completed at work (that's slowed to a crawl as there's no where to store them!)

Life has got rather busy and things in the house are still in disarray due to a) having a 4 year old and b) having moved things quickly to get access under the floor for the radiator leaks.

I have had thoughts about abandoning Milliedale on Sea so too complex or not feasible but that seems like soft talk, not at all like the talk that got us through the war, and Milliedale on Sea got through the war, so less of that.

one of the main obstacles is that I need to take the layout out of the loft and turn the boards round to trace the plan onto it which will create more disarray, but will happen.

Other issues have also arisen, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2018, 03:29:01 pm »
but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I just hope it's not some so-and-so with a torch bringing more work

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2018, 07:16:15 pm »
Please, do NOT abandon Milliedale-on-Sea after such a long and interesting lead up. Start off with something simple, if possible.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2018, 08:40:56 pm »
Please, do NOT abandon Milliedale-on-Sea after such a long and interesting lead up. Start off with something simple, if possible.
Seconded
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109%