!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Milliedale-on-Sea - think thin  (Read 5181 times)

Nighthawk, willike1958, Black Sheep and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Black Sheep

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Milliedale-on-Sea - a bit of history
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2017, 11:45:05 am »
As a Christmas bonus teaser, due to work being quieter than something very quiet a spot of cartography has been happening based on a few old maps from Milliedale on Sea, they were found in a in the cellar of the Old Cobblers, in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Paul'.

Online Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2018, 12:01:56 pm »
We apologise for the break in transmission caused by 'hostile' action, access has been restored and we hope to broadcast again soon.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2018, 12:20:21 pm »
We apologise for the break in transmission caused by 'hostile' action, access has been restored and we hope to broadcast again soon.
I do hope that you were able to repel the hostile action!
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2018, 12:25:00 pm »
I do hope that you were able to repel the hostile action!

negotiation comprising of fish and chips, beer, & babysitting duty, the main issue has in fact been that the in-laws bedroom forms the access to my part of the loft and my wife's quick tidying is to dump things in the layout room, all this stuff has now been dumped back on the bed with a post it note saying "e-bay?" :D

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2018, 12:33:59 pm »
Hi,

Glad you're back but be careful.

Negotiations are all well and good but usually temporary. You might win a quick skirmish or indeed a small battle but you'll never win the war!  Watch yer back. :D

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2018, 05:45:08 pm »
Sounds like it could be a Beautiful South song "Old Cobblers is back...... " :)

Look forward to the updates springing forth!

Online Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2018, 12:05:33 pm »

"Transtellar Cruise Lines would like to apologize to passengers for the continuing delay to this flight. We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey. Meanwhile we thank you for your patience. The cabin crew will shortly be serving coffee and biscuits again.''

Online Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2018, 10:25:00 pm »
Sorry for the delay, went to stay in the Station Hotel at Milliedale-on-Sea, as I was collating the information for the first report of the year the barmaid announced that her father is the motive power superintendent for the Milliedale-on-Sea shed, so we invited ourselves to bash the shed.

Firstly though, the hotel;

It's fairly small as railway hotel's go, being only 30 rooms (a handful do not have a sea view), the railway would like a larger hotel, but there simply is not room on the present site and there are no other sea front locations that could be developed.

So, the shed.

Milliedale-on-Sea actually has a very small allocation of locomotives, the shed is simply there to cater to the excursion traffic and any requirements they may have, the facilities are basic and the engineering staff eccentric (most of them drink in the old cobblers, enough said!) facilities allow some maintenance but anything major is made fit to be dragged up to Lancaster, it's effectively a sub-shed.

It does however benefit from a steel mechanical coaling tower which can be seen at the back of the roll-call photograph below.

On shed we have, in no particular order;

Streamlined Coronation City Of Coventry & Princess Eliza
Black 5 5305 Leonard Freear, 5020 & 5020 (the apprentice was told "copy the lining on that one" and copied the number as well!
Jubilee 5664 Nelson
Royal Scot 6100 Royal Scot
Crab (sorry, didn't get the number)
4P 1111

Fairburn 2691
Ivatt 2-6-2 2MT 1200
Ivatt 2-6-0 2MT 6404
3F 4376 "Donald"
4F 3608 "Douglas"
G2 9423
3F Jinty 7524 & 723?
Diesel shunter - number unknown
L&Y Class 21 11808 "Bob"

As you can see, we have a few locomotives from elsewhere, LNER A4 22 Mallard and A3 4472 Flying Scotsman are often assigned to the 'Milliedale-on-Sea Spa Express pullman service

There's a small blue engine who likes hiding, a big blue locomotive that's apparently part of the future (there was also an odd gentleman with a small blue box) and a class 37 (does that make us a preserved railway?! :P ) but more on that later.

Do I have enough locos? :D
There is some talk about loosing one of the black 5s possibly to be replaced by another Jubilee or Royal Scot, or possibly loosing Royal Scot in favour of another Jubilee, we simply don't know.

What we don't know, and will be appealing for help in the next couple of days, is the actual layout of the depot! most of the depot was loco roads to handle the ebb and flow of locomotives in and out during the day with a couple of shed roads and, as already mentioned, the coaling tower. Somehow there are no known plans for the depot other than knowing where the boundary is since it is still there to day.

More on this tomorrow hopefully, off for a pint and bed. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:33:16 pm by Black Sheep »

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2018, 10:31:12 pm »
Many thanks for this update. The magnificence of the hotel (excellent work) is only matched by the abundance of locomotives! 8-)

Online Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2018, 10:34:24 pm »
Many thanks for this update. The magnificence of the hotel (excellent work) is only matched by the abundance of locomotives! 8-)

I think Paul is beating me on how many locomotives his operating department can offer though, however I don't believe he has any smelly oil boxes

Online Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2018, 08:51:10 am »
Further to yesterday's update, myself and the historical society have drawn a bit of a blank as far as the depot is concerned, the plan we have simply shows the approximate location of the shed and the entry point in from the marshalling yard's goods loop.

I'm presuming the depot was laid out to some kind of standard format and we know the facilities were slightly basic compared to other sheds. We know it did not have a turntable as there was a suitable junction for turning locomotives nearby. The large circle on the plan is the approximate location of the gas holder for the gasworks

So, any assistance with working out likely shed layouts that could take about 20 locos would be greatly appreciated.

Online Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2018, 10:08:58 pm »
Well, we think we've got it!

An absolute maze of track, but, found some sleepers in the undergrowth to the south of the signal box (left of plan is close enough to North for discussion purposes) which suggests a siding, presumably for shunting locos accessed by the single slip which ends the head-shunt with a sand drag.

The sidings of the marshalling yard were thought to be part of a loop, this appears to be incorrect, access to these is only via one end, the North, from the long head-shunt

The depot is accessed by the West (lowest) loop, the run-around in the centre is for the coaling tower / ash pits allowing arrival on depot, drop the ash, coal, water etc and then onto a shed road ready for the next turn.

Feedback appreciated :D

I have to admit, I'm not looking forward to wiring this!
Hopefully get a full size print out sorted soon to check everything.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2018, 10:40:18 am »
It all looks very complicated but I guess real life is that way, too.
Looks like you'll have fun with it (in more ways than one, maybe)

Online Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2018, 11:05:27 am »
It all looks very complicated but I guess real life is that way, too.
Looks like you'll have fun with it (in more ways than one, maybe)

indeed, my wife has questioned how much that's going to cost!

my question is, is it believable as a layout.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2018, 05:15:40 pm »
One possibility (if you are able to) is to have a loco shed with a hidden (behind a backscene) set of sidings beyond. This has been done on a few layouts. Then you wouldn't have such a complex set of sidings on view.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here