!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills Dukedog  (Read 5855 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills Dukedog
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 06:21:18 pm »
I've made the modification as well. It's quite straightforward but make sure you put the wheelset back in the right way round or you will have a dead short  :-[

That will teach me to take lunch half way through the operation.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 07:08:15 pm »
That will teach me to take lunch half way through the operation.

How many pints ?

:beers:

Best regards,

Joe

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 07:49:22 pm »
How many pints ?

:beers:

Best regards,

Joe
None  :D
Mind you, a bottle of wine seemed to go AWOL  :)

Offline Cape Town Trev

• N Gauge Society Number: 7499
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 02:44:21 am »
My debit card has been charged, so mine is on its way  :)

With the post to Cape Town, via JHB, I wonder how many months I will have to wait? Two months and counting for a package from BR  Lines, though tracking says arrived in JHB some weeks ago and being made ready for delivery  :D

Offline N-Gauge-US

• N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 05:42:05 am »

With the post to Cape Town, via JHB, I wonder how many months I will have to wait? Two months and counting for a package from BR  Lines, though tracking says arrived in JHB some weeks ago and being made ready for delivery  :D

Me too! Though my wait is usually more like 2 weeks ;) Still quite excited! It's a birthday pressie :)
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Offline Bob Pidgeon

• N Gauge Society Number: 14876
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 10:17:06 am »
Hi Elmo I've allready pre ordered a City of Truro even though Colin said he is not doing it ,But he did say (  Never say never ) so it might be on the list of things to do after all there's not a lot of difference modeling  wise between the two.
Bob
This takes me back, I first saw City of Truro coming up the Wycombe Branch at about 9pm one summers evening just after it had been reintroduced to service in the fifties. This was a working Paddington to Banbury (I think) on which you could never predict the loco type. Bob Pidgeon

Offline Cape Town Trev

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 08:28:01 pm »

Arrived  :D. Only two months  >:(

With the hobby room a few weeks away from being ready need to set up a circle of frack to test run.

Offline Cape Town Trev

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2017, 02:39:37 pm »
Tested and runs wonderfully except that the rods do not always rotate when running in reverse. No doubt expert advice will be along soon  ;)

Offline Tonye

• N Gauge Society Number: 11231
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 02:46:10 pm »
 :hellosign: I bet you cannot wait to try out your new dukedog?. Mine will be running at Rushden railway show next Saturday along with the Collet goods . My dukedog impressed straight from the box, and even shocked the layout operator how slow she could run.  :)   
Tonye

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2017, 10:26:36 am »
:hellosign: I bet you cannot wait to try out your new dukedog?. Mine will be running at Rushden railway show next Saturday along with the Collet goods . My dukedog impressed straight from the box, and even shocked the layout operator how slow she could run.  :)
Having picked up a second hand one at Bristol MRE I am surprised how well this loco runs. I have had a few UM locos in the past and still have a Q2 and Super D but this is a lot better. Seems like it's geared lower. Nice that the bogie has pickup as well as the drivers. Luckily my platforms were built to Minitrix 9F width standards so no problem with clearance.

Offline Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 12:52:59 pm »
Having picked up a second hand one at Bristol MRE I am surprised how well this loco runs. I have had a few UM locos in the past and still have a Q2 and Super D but this is a lot better. Seems like it's geared lower. Nice that the bogie has pickup as well as the drivers. Luckily my platforms were built to Minitrix 9F width standards so no problem with clearance.

Colin has redesigned his drives and although the old ones were good these are even better..

NB its a 6V motor with a resister so if you are going DCC (yes you can fit it in the space available) remember to keep the resister.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 06:41:05 pm by Snowwolflair »

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2017, 06:25:57 pm »
I really need to place my order for my first Union Mills locomotive

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2017, 06:38:24 pm »

Chris Colin has redesigned his drives and although the old ones were good these are even better..

NB its a 6V motor with a resister so if you are going DCC (yes you can fit it in the space available) remember to keep the resister.

UM proprietor's name corrected to avoid confusion.

Good to learn that slow running has been improved with this redesigned chassis, it was always my biggest bugbear with UM locos. It's a shame Colin has moved on to GW types pretty much exclusively for now (I believe I read somewhere that his next loco is to be a 2251 0-6-0?). To add insult to injury he told me Scottish locos were not currently on his radar - what I would give for a D34 Glen...

I am a bit confused about having to leave the resistor on the motor, can't the chip be programmed as regards voltage?

Roy

Offline Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2017, 06:44:19 pm »

Chris Colin has redesigned his drives and although the old ones were good these are even better..

UM proprietor's name corrected to avoid confusion.

Good to learn that slow running has been improved with this redesigned chassis, it was always my biggest bugbear with UM locos. It's a shame Colin has moved on to GW types pretty much exclusively for now (I believe I read somewhere that his next loco is to be a 2251 0-6-0?). To add insult to injury he told me Scottish locos were not currently on his radar - what I would give for a D34 Glen...

I am a bit confused about having to leave the resistor on the motor, can't the chip be programmed as regards voltage?

Roy

thanks - corrected in original post.

There is benefit in leaving the resister in case you (or someone else) forget in the future and reprogram the speed table.  I generally work on the basis if there is space keep the resister, but its a matter of taste.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2017, 11:35:01 am »
I managed to pick up one nearly new for a mere 70 - really a rather pleasing deal.

I have to say that this is probably one of the best UM models yet - the new motor is substantially better, allowing proper sleeper creep - almost as good as a Mashima conversion though not quite. But really lovely still.

I'd love to know the source of these motors, as they may well have other viable uses.

I have done the usual adjustments of painting the buffer heads and wheel rims black, and reducing the wheel drop by packing under the centre tender axle, which has too much vertical play for my liking. I also added a washer under the front of the tender where the front fixing screw is, as the tender seemed to be sitting a little front low compared to the rear - not sure if anyone else's is like this?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here