!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills 2016 new loco  (Read 11927 times)

Offline Timofpenk

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills 2016 new loco
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2016, 09:44:24 pm »
Well iv just got in from a great evening in the shed testing out my new unionmills dukedog and I learnt two interesting things one my shed roof leeks lol must get round to fixing it. But the other is how great the unionmills model is I know it's not inch perfect and a bit of a ruff and ready loco but I was blown away by how smooth it ran and how tolerant of crappy track it is for me it's 8/10. And as for platform clearance not a problem it just pushed them down the baseboard till it could get past " think I may need to look in to this " but on the whole really impressed

Tim

Offline Plainline.

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2016, 09:45:07 pm »
:hellosign: My new Dean Goods and Duke Dog were well received at last weekends exhibition at Shoeburyness . They both ran all day with no problems . 2 forum members said after seeing them haul loads of wagons and coaches  that they will be giving Colin a ring , I hope they do. The Duke Dog did make it into the station platforms, only just!. My one being Shirt button livery pulling a B set looked really good on Bettws Road .
Hi Tonye, nice talking to you yesterday,  really enjoyed seeing your layout and Dukedog running on it. Placed my order with Colin today, looking forward to receiving it!

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2016, 07:57:42 am »
Final bit of advice from Colin which provides an alternative method of shortening the pins;

"Shorter crank pins could be used, but I have to have them made by somebody with an automatic CNC screw lathe. I normally buy in 20,000 at a time. So if we make a batch of 200 locos, that needs 800 crank pins, so we will have 19,200 spares!
If you want to have a shot at shortening the pins yourself. I would take the wheelset out complete. Carefully push the pins through the cranks until they stick out the back but still leaving the rods free and then cut off the projecting part with a pair of flush cutting cutters, Xuron rail cutters would be ideal, you probably have a pair. If you take the pins out your will have a job to cut them to the right length, you will throw up burrs and not be able to get them back into the holes again. The turned crank pins have a taper on them to ease them into the holes."

At least we know spares are available!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2016, 10:27:25 am »
I'm surprised anyone is recommending use of Zuron cutters for anything other than cutting track :o
This could be an expensive act :uneasy:

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2016, 12:34:49 pm »
Not found any problems cutting copper wire or plastic, would probably not be such a good idea on steel wire, springs etc.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Tonye

• N Gauge Society Number: 11231
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2016, 01:22:55 pm »
 :hellosign: I do agree with Roy LS , But we are modellers- right? , so we can improve the look of the loco ,and Roy has put up some great pictures of the real DukeDog. I`m sure some of you have done already. Lets have some more pictures!!. :thankyousign:   
Tonye

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2016, 01:54:10 pm »
But we are modellers- right? , so we can improve the look of the loco

Exactly, are we railway modelling or just playing trains?

Hardly any of my locos are in "out of the box" condition, from minor tweaks like renumbering/naming, or adding vac pipes and lamp irons, to hacking M7s to Push pull version or to a T1, or narrowing cab and splashers of a T9 and swapping its tender for an 8 wheeler, converting an N class into an N1, hacking a Scot into a Lord Nelson. Even kits get bashed, doing a mix 'n match with Langley S15and BHE N15 SR 4-6-0s to get 4 versions of N15, 2 of S15s and an H15. Coaches also suffer. Plus a bit of scratch building.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2016, 04:11:33 pm »
I'm just playing trains then, and know my place >:(

Offline Cape Town Trev

• N Gauge Society Number: 7499
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2016, 04:21:11 pm »
I'm just playing trains then, and know my place >:(

And I'm also just playing trains then :worried:

But I do like a good Metcalfe card kit.  No disrespect to Metcalfe, I know my limits in "modelling".

Offline Timofpenk

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2016, 05:15:24 pm »
I for one am more than happy just playing trains. I can appreciate models that are spot on taking hours to lovingly compleat and that is great take pendon for instance what a great model but I would be frightened to get behind the glass screens let alone run anything on it. Maybe years of manual labor have left me with a less than delicate touch.

Tim

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2016, 05:53:32 pm »
I for one am more than happy just playing trains. I can appreciate models that are spot on taking hours to lovingly compleat and that is great take pendon for instance what a great model but I would be frightened to get behind the glass screens let alone run anything on it.

I do agree. I have a couple Dapol 9Fs that I'm terrified of breaking, having already sent each of them BRLines on separate occasions. So I don't mind the Union Mills level of detail given these are rugged locos that perform well and can be 'played with' without fear. I recently picked up a Peco 'Jubilee' and there's a loco that I think hits the sweet spot between performance (excellent), detail (good, if not quite up to the highest modern standards), and durability (our own @Ozymandias gave mine the once-over, and even after 30+ years of use the thing runs smoothly and quietly). Union Mills are already up there in terms of performance and durability, but I'd like to see them nudging their detail up a little as well, without the use of fragile plasticky bits that'll snap off at the slightest provocation.

Maybe years of manual labor have left me with a less than delicate touch.

Well played! Pre-empting the "what about doing some actual modelling" argument nicely!

Cheers, NeMo

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2016, 08:17:09 pm »
But we are modellers- right? , so we can improve the look of the loco

Exactly, are we railway modelling or just playing trains?

Hardly any of my locos are in "out of the box" condition, from minor tweaks like renumbering/naming, or adding vac pipes and lamp irons, to hacking M7s to Push pull version or to a T1, or narrowing cab and splashers of a T9 and swapping its tender for an 8 wheeler, converting an N class into an N1, hacking a Scot into a Lord Nelson. Even kits get bashed, doing a mix 'n match with Langley S15and BHE N15 SR 4-6-0s to get 4 versions of N15, 2 of S15s and an H15. Coaches also suffer. Plus a bit of scratch building.

Hi Mike

I guess everyone's definition of "modelling" is slightly different.

I do try the occasional scratch build or "bash" even though I know I will never get close to the detail that the mainstream manufacturers achieve. As far as I can see modifying the Dukedog to reduce the body height from the rail to cab/chimney top would entail smaller driving wheels which are by no means easy to source. If the model was a "must have" I don't doubt I would buy one and have a go but it isn't.

However people get enjoyment from different elements of the hobby. A good friend of mine enjoys layout construction but is less attracted to operating, another likes creating all sorts of unique rolling stock which if not totally accurate are great approximations of what they are intended to portray.

Personally I marvel at the detail and smooth running of the latest coreless motor models and beyond occasional light weathering why would I want to mess with something so exquisite? And...if that wasn't enough I never fail to be amazed that a loco as small as an Ivatt 2MT tender can have DCC sound fitted in such a way as to be totally unobtrusive. I enjoy driving it, listening to the "bark" as it opens up, the clank of the reverser when I change direction on the controller. Am I less of a modeller for that? I think not and frankly couldn't care less if others think otherwise!

Live and let live..

Regards

Roy

Offline Plainline.

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2016, 08:21:54 pm »
Ordered my Dukedog yesterday, it arrived today, excellent service from Colin. Very impressed with locomotive, although it may not be exactly to scale, to me it captures the look of the Dukedog very well. One thing puzzles me, can anyone tell me why there is no rapido coupling on the front of the locomotive?

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2016, 08:28:17 pm »
Ordered my Dukedog yesterday, it arrived today, excellent service from Colin. Very impressed with locomotive, although it may not be exactly to scale, to me it captures the look of the Dukedog very well. One thing puzzles me, can anyone tell me why there is no rapido coupling on the front of the locomotive?

It is Colin's usual practice to use a simpler hook. It is much smaller as it requires no box for the coupler/spring to mount in to. It works fine as long as you don't use any kind of remote uncoupling. Looking at my little Arnold Kof it uses something very similar.

Regards

Roy

Offline Plainline.

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2016, 08:55:11 pm »
Hi Roy,
Thank you for your help, I have never encountered this type of coupling before, so was a bit confused by it. It makes sense now you have explained it!

Regards Alan.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here