!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills 2016 new loco  (Read 12722 times)

Offline johnwillimas

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills 2016 new loco
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 10:03:07 am »
Quite so, that's literally the photo linked to above!  :laughabovepost:

But I'd messed up the formatting so perhaps wasn't obvious.  :very angry:

Cheers, NeMo

Dohhh! Apologies.....

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 10:17:35 am »
No apology needed. My mistake not embedding the link properly. Your way was better!

Cheers, NeMo

Quite so, that's literally the photo linked to above!  :laughabovepost:

But I'd messed up the formatting so perhaps wasn't obvious.  :very angry:

Cheers, NeMo

Dohhh! Apologies.....

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 10:15:57 pm »
Some photos with Dapol B Set coaches.

The height looks fairly consistent with the photo johnwilliams posted.

This view is from a more normal viewing angle.

Incidentally, there is a sliver of space under the boiler but, on further observation, I agree with Bealman and Nemo that there should be more daylight visible.

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 10:24:16 am »
I think they might be a tad too high and wide but they are very nice ,I need someone to paint the chimney cap and the safety valve cover and then I will be very happy with my two Dukedogs the same needs doing on my two Dean goods the family bought me for Christmas/ Birthday last year .
What paint do I need to get ready for someone to pop in to help me ,my hands are not steady enough to risk doing it myself I don't want to ruin the models,
Tea or coffee and sandwiches will be provided for whoever  can help.
I don't want to post them to anyone would rather they came here.
Cheers
Bob

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 10:37:25 am »
Bob

I keep a small pot of Framers gold leaf paint for the job, which must be very well mixed.

Its gold leaf in a varnish suspension so you only want one coat carefully applied with a soft brush or it will look too thick.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 12:02:18 pm »
An alternative to paint is to use a pen with gold (or copper) ink.

I use these pens for all metallic details.

I used a silver one to "paint" the Peco milk churns.

Best regards,

Joe

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 01:24:11 pm »
Here's a pic of mine after a brief visit from the gold Sharpie pen (need to find a copper one)

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 01:59:58 pm »
It does make quite a difference to the Locos and I must say a big Thankyou to Snowwolflair who said he will come over to do my Locos for me , I have done things like that a long time ago but now my eyes and hands are just not capable to do such fine work and as I said I didn't want to spoil the Locos .
Once he has done them for me I have to put the Dukedogs  away as they are a Christmas present from the family ,but I have been given full permision to give them a good testing first ,not that any Union Mills Locos need any testing as Colin fully tests everyone himself before he sends them out .
Anyway a big public THANKYOU AGAIN TO SNOWWOLFLAIR and it just goes to show what a great bunch of girls and boys we have on this Forum.
Bob

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 02:57:49 pm »
I've been looking at what simple (non destructive) tweaks I can make to mine to add detailing. The obvious one is a loco crew and if I can trim my sharpies to be fine enough (or use a 000 brush maybe) I'd like to at least paint the pipework in the cab.

There's also the number on the front buffer beam that's been mentioned and a couple of lamps.

Can you get stick on strips of rivet heads for N/2mm? I was wondering if it was practical to detail the frames a little with those where they wouldn't interfere with the motion.

The heavier stuff can wait until I've had time to practice on other models first, stuff like filing off the cast hand rails and replacing them with wire ones or cutting out and replacing the coal load with real coal etc. They're all a bit destructive for such a nice loco until I know I can do it properly :)

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 03:04:13 pm »
DCC Suplies have 120 different sheets of stick on rivets on their website.  I saw them at the Wycrail show a week ago and they looked interesting.

Having said that there were some very strange annorack clad individuals drooling at them and making some very excitable sounds  :goggleeyes: :D

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 03:30:16 pm »
Yes Zwilnik Some things like the lamps and crew I can manage to do myself and that does make a huge difference ,I also put a very fine dusting of real coal dust over the moulded coal ,if there are some made up transfers for buffer beam numbers I might be able to do that but no way could I put on individual numbers in a straight line ,as Colin has said he could do all these things but then the price would be a lot more than the 82 ,he could also do seperate handrails.
The main reason he doesn't  put all the extra detail on is as I keep saying his models are rugged ,reliable ,and will pull whatever you put behind them not only that they will last a lot longer than some of these new offerings ,for instance I've had a few and know of several other people who have had problems with lights blowing in fact my bubble car now has  lights on in one direction only so might just as well have non at all. I was thinking of getting a Chiltern class 68 when they are released but I m seriously changing my mind and don't think I will bother to buy any new models unless of course UMM bring out a City of Truro or any othe GWR Locos.
Modern Loco models  are just not reliable enough to justify what little money I have to spend on my railway now ,at least with the old Poole built models I have a chance of repairing them if they go wrong .
Just my opinion and I knowothers won't agree with me.
Bob

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 04:39:35 pm »
Couldn't agree more Bob. I think Colin's got the balance just right. i.e. a loco that looks about right and does it job of pulling trains reliably without costing a bomb. I actually like that they're a sort of base level that you can detail as you want. Makes me feel slightly more of a modeller rather than just a model train collector ;)

ScottyStitch

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2016, 07:12:32 pm »
DCC Suplies have 120 different sheets of stick on rivets on their website.  I saw them at the Wycrail show a week ago and they looked interesting.

Having said that there were some very strange annorack clad individuals drooling at them and making some very excitable sounds  :goggleeyes: :D

So, just to be clear, and for clarification......... you counted them? ;) :D ;D

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 07:14:44 pm »

So, just to be clear, and for clarification......... you counted them? ;) :D ;D

Far too much effort  :D  Its what the "Search" box is for  8)

Offline N_south

• N Gauge Society Number: 23925
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 01:56:18 am »
Some photos with Dapol B Set coaches.

The height looks fairly consistent with the photo johnwilliams posted.

This view is from a more normal viewing angle.

Incidentally, there is a sliver of space under the boiler but, on further observation, I agree with Bealman and Nemo that there should be more daylight visible.

very nice  :o got to love outside motion  :greatpicturessign:

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here