!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 141538 times)

GreyWolf and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2385 on: June 11, 2018, 09:19:31 pm »
Scenery is my favorite. Preferable to running trains. They are only posed for the occasional photo. One day!
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2386 on: June 12, 2018, 07:56:50 pm »
This morning I set the two paniers running on the main line and, as soon as I ascertained that everything was alright with them, I set about the track in Platform 4.  I started to drill the sleepers and fit pins.  Because of the sensitivity of the alignment along the platform edge, I drilled each hole and then fitted the track pin and hammered it into place before moving on to the next one.  Usually, I drill all the holes, fit all the track pins and then hammer them down.  I finished the first yard of track at the UP end of the station and started on the next. 

9744 had been travelling marginally faster than 6417, so I gradually reduced its speed step setting from 28 down through 27, 26 25 and 24.  Then 9744 stopped.  It was difficult to get it started again and it soon stopped for a second time.  In the end, I had to set the acceleration to zero before it would keep going.  I fitted another couple of track pins before it was time to leave.  I decided that it will be interesting to see how 9744 behaved later in the afternoon.  So off we went to the gym for a swim (in my case) and then J Sainsbury beckoned.  In the afternoon, there was plenty of gardening followed by a cup of tea.  Before I put the kettle on, I went down to the Train Shed, switched on the controller and set 6417 and 9744 running again.

When I returned, sometime later, they were both still running, but 6417 had caught up with 9744 and they were running around coupled together.  I separated them and set them going again.  At this stage, I reinvoked 9744ís acceleration again.  It seemed to run quite happily, although I had to periodically slow or stop it, because it runs somewhat faster that 6417.  While they were running around, I continued with pinning the track in Platform 4.  Eventually it was all completed and I needed to test it with the panniers, so I switched the crossovers from the main to the branch and continued to run the locos.  They both performed perfectly, so I reinserted the island platform, which would be the acid test, because the platform clearances were critical before I re-laid the track.  I had to make one or two fine adjustments to the platform position before everything was fine.  Here are the two paniers testing the Platform 4 track.

Once I had returned them to their beds for the night, I tested the other side of the island platform with 92006, which has the worst platform edge profile because its cylinders protrude just a little more that those of the other locos.  There was a problem and I had to readjust the platform.  I retested it with 6417 along Platform 4 and there is an issue.  Given that the island platform is only a temporary structure, I will need to pare off a millimetre or so from the platform edge for now.

I have been thinking about my branch operations and, although there is a run-around at each end, I cannot use it at the moment, because, firstly, I have to lift the locos to uncouple them as there is no uncoupling mechanism.  I hope to install Dapol Easy Couplers and magnets to overcome this.  But there is still a problem.  Because the branch passenger needs to run both ways between branch goods runs, I still cannot run around the trains at one end of the branch.  To overcome this, I intend to purchase another loco and some more suburban coaches, which will allow me to run another train out when one arrives.  Iíll explain more later.

My next task will be to start to replace all the ballast that has been torn up over the last few weeks.  Then I will be able to think about scenery.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2387 on: June 13, 2018, 08:32:41 pm »
Today, I began by hacking the platform edge from the island platform on the Platform 4 side.  It doesnít look very pretty, but it will mean the trains can keep running unimpeded until I build a new platform.  I started with a ratio kit and the other platforms are still ratio kits. However, I wasnít terribly happy with it and built the Metcalfe kit as a temporary replacement to see how well it would fit.  But I really must think about a permanent solution for all the platforms.  Iím not sure what the best approach would be.  Perhaps balsa might be a possibility.  Anyway, hereís the result of the platform hack.  Itís not in itís correct position because I needed to have access to the Platform 4 track for re-ballasting and, as you can see, the platform edge is a bit rough and ready..

Then I began the process of re-ballasting the track.  So far, I have managed to ballast about half of the platform.  Hereís the result so far.

I didnít manage to get down to the Train Shed again today because we had the U3A table tennis group in the afternoon, followed by an hour and a half round trip to deliver a cheese plant.  Yes, a cheese plant.  It doesnít produce any cheese, but is quite attractive, if you have the space.  It has become too big for us.  We have had it for twenty years and it has been cut down and divided several times, but we decided it was due for a new home.  So it has been donated to our grandson.

Tomorrow, it will be on with ballasting.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #2388 on: June 14, 2018, 05:03:37 pm »
I have been thinking about my branch operations and, although there is a run-around at each end, I cannot use it at the moment, because, firstly, I have to lift the locos to uncouple them as there is no uncoupling mechanism.  I hope to install Dapol Easy Couplers and magnets to overcome this.  But there is still a problem.  Because the branch passenger needs to run both ways between branch goods runs, I still cannot run around the trains at one end of the branch.  To overcome this, I intend to purchase another loco and some more suburban coaches, which will allow me to run another train out when one arrives.  Iíll explain more later.

It is worth checking that the stock you plan to use with the Dapol couplings do have NEM pockets, quite a few items released by Dapol after their own couplings had been launched are not compatible.

Some people have reported that Farish NEM pockets and Dapol NEM pockets are not actually the same causing some coupling issues (makes having a standard pointless really)

I've had little success with them, but I'm needing hands off coupling / uncoupling, on your branch I imagine the 0-5-0 shunter from the sky giving a helping nudge is possible, even if you'd prefer to not have to.

I have found it possible to lift one coupling and drive the engine away with the standard rapido coupling, but it does take a steady hand.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2389 on: June 14, 2018, 08:23:00 pm »
Thursday is our play day.  We havenít had a decent outing for a couple of weeks so, this time, we thought we would go to Burton Constable Hall.  However, first thing, I finished the ballasting along Platform 4.  I will leave it overnight and then cut the shoulder back to allow the island platform (somewhat reduced in width) to be relocated.  I forgot to mention that, yesterday, I received both the cable ties I ordered from RS and the self-adhesive anchors I ordered from eBay. 

Anyway, off we went, first to Leconfield to make a delivery and then on to Burton Constable.  I always get mixed up between Burton Constable and Constable Burton, which is in the North Riding.  For those of you who are interested, riding is a derivation from the Old English trithing, from the Old Norse thrithjungr Ďthird partí, from thrithi Ďthirdí.  Hence there were three ridings in Yorkshire.  We arrived at 10:25, only to find that it didnít open until 11:00.  So we went off to one of our favourite garden centres, which is only about five miles away, for coffee and to buy one or two bits and pieces, before returning to Burton Constable after it had opened.

We had obviously picked the wrong day.  The wind was wild and from the west and we felt a bit like cowboys forced to seek shelter.  We did have a nice, albeit windswept, walk but then retired to a local hostelry for a spot of food and drink.  We had to try three before we found one that was of any use.  The first had a Thursday Lunch Club and, at the second, the landlady had suffered a shoulder injury and was unable to offer food until her evening cook arrived.  But, in the end, we had a nice meal, before setting off for home.

Later, after some gardening, I managed to complete the ballasting on the UP main under London Road Bridge, on the DOWN main and branch into Gatsby Tunnel and on all three tracks into Oakwood Tunnel.  Tomorrow, I will cut back the ballast shoulder in Platform 4 and refit the island platform.  I may then be able to recommence running some trains.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2390 on: June 14, 2018, 08:24:42 pm »
It is worth checking that the stock you plan to use with the Dapol couplings do have NEM pockets, quite a few items released by Dapol after their own couplings had been launched are not compatible.

Some people have reported that Farish NEM pockets and Dapol NEM pockets are not actually the same causing some coupling issues (makes having a standard pointless really)

I've had little success with them, but I'm needing hands off coupling / uncoupling, on your branch I imagine the 0-5-0 shunter from the sky giving a helping nudge is possible, even if you'd prefer to not have to.

I have found it possible to lift one coupling and drive the engine away with the standard rapido coupling, but it does take a steady hand.
I expect I will buy some couplings and magnets and then see if it can be made to work.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #2391 on: June 15, 2018, 09:25:42 am »
I think I sold all mine on again, but I'll have a rummage as I might have one or two still that you'd be welcome to for a trial

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2392 on: June 15, 2018, 09:38:04 am »
I think I sold all mine on again, but I'll have a rummage as I might have one or two still that you'd be welcome to for a trial
Thank you.  That would be very useful if you can find any.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2393 on: June 15, 2018, 07:31:18 pm »
Friday is my domestic chores day.  Also, there was quite a lot of garden work to do.  However, I did manage an early session in the Train Shed, where I began by cutting back the shoulder of the ballast along Platform 4 to allow the island platform to be refitted.  I had a good hoover along all the newly laid ballast and then set 92006 off with the fish train to test the platform clearance on Platform 3, the other side of the island platform.  The first problem I encountered was that it wouldnít run over the newly ballasted sections.  Then I remembered I had missed out the vital step of cleaning along the inside of the rails with a sharp point.  In some places, I needed to use the sharp point on the outside of the rails as well.  I hoovered up again and then applied IPA to the tops of the rails, using my usual cardboard strips.  When I tried again, 92006 ran as normal, so that was one job completed. 

By the afternoon, I was able to spend another session in the Train Shed.  This time I tested the branch locos.  9744 ran OK for a little while and found some more spots along Platform 4 that needed attention.  After that, it began to play up and I had to set its acceleration back to zero.  Then I tested Platform 4 with 6417 and the branch goods.  This time there was a problem with platform edge clearances.  Although I had pared back the edge of the platform, there were some ragged edges that fouled some of the wagons.  I had to do some more paring and reposition the island platform to get everything working.  Then I had to retest Platform 3 with 92006, which was fine. 

The final test was with 45206 and the milk train, to test the crossovers.  There were some problems in the region of the frogs and so more work with the sharp point was required.  Then 45206 got stuck in the UP loops, making a grinding noise.  That sounded like a traction tyre problem.  Sure enough one of the rear traction tyres had come adrift and the other was missing.  I had found a tender traction tyre lying around in the UP loops some time ago, so it was probably from 45206.  I replaced both traction tyres and then all was well.  At this stage I replaced all the buildings and structures that I had removed to carry out the work at Platform 4.

I thought I would finish with some continuous running for 9744 and ran 6417 to accompany it.  I hadnít got very far before it was time to stop.  Here they are passing on the main lines.

The next job is to carry on with the Ďrunning iní, if that is the right term, and then think about scenic work.  I may start by building some new platforms.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2394 on: June 16, 2018, 06:27:30 pm »
This morning I scoped the island platform problem.  While I was thinking about it, I set 9744 and 6417 running around the mainlines.  However, 9744 kept stopping, so I decided to run them as a consist (double head).  But 9744 derailed a few times at Point 17 on the exit from the DOWN loops.  So I decided to run them the other way round, with 6417 leading 9744. Here they are running together

But the problem continued to occur

In the end, I found that 9744 was derailing within the loop, some distance before the point.  So I decoupled them and ran them round separately.  I think that the extra impetus from 6417 may have caused the problem.  During the morning, there were some garden jobs to do and then we had to go out because our neighbours had invited us to a BBQ to mark their daughterís first birthday.  Fortunately, the weather held and we returned home just as a thunderstorm broke.

I think the main problem with the island platform is that, although the tracks are straight through the station, the island platform is almost 2m long and small deviations of the track of a couple of millimetres cause the locos to be fouled by the platform edge.  I have enough Metcalfe sidewalls left to build another island platform if I use something else for the platform surfaces, such as 0.5mm card or Plasticard.  Tomorrow, I will continue with the Ďrunning iní and think some more about the island platform.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 06:29:25 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2395 on: June 17, 2018, 08:08:10 am »
I'm thinking of buying a 45XX slope tank off eBay, but it's a DC version.  I could send it off to Wickness to have it converted.  What do you think?
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2396 on: June 17, 2018, 08:47:16 am »
They are lovely little locos.
I have 3 (2 slope tanks and 1 straight).
I cannot comment on suitability for DCC Iím afraid but others will be much more knowledgeable than I.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #2397 on: June 17, 2018, 08:58:14 am »
I've no idea about the 'slope tank' Laurence! But was loving watching the 'doubleheader' running  :claphappy:
Is something I'll have to get to grips with later as the SBB tend to run a Re 460 (popularly known as the Lok 2000) on one end of a passenger train and an EW IV Driving Coach at the other end!

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2398 on: June 17, 2018, 07:58:57 pm »
Branch line operations suspended indefinitely

I didnít have a very good day in the Train Shed today.  First thing, I persevered with the mainline roundy-roundy running of 9744 and 6417.  Later I had another go at wheel cleaning and pickup cleaning.  6417 runs fine in both directions on the mainline, but 9744 is quite a handful.  In the end, I had to put the acceleration back to zero for 9744 and, even then, it was still prone to stop in random places.  I took the decision to return to branch line testing with 6417 operating the branch passenger and 9744 the branch goods (which is more prototypical anyway).  However, both were problematical and, eventually, I had to set the acceleration of 6417 to zero as well.  I really am feeling a bit despondent about the two panniers.  I have invested quite a lot of time trying to get them to run reliably.  In the past, I have been able to get them back to reliable running after a lot of patient running, cleaning etc.  But this time, even with 9744ís new Lenz decoder, I just canít get them to run well.

The management of the Aylesbury and Worcester operational department have therefore decided to suspend all branch line operations until further notice, pending the acquisition of more reliable locomotives.  Normal mainline operations will continue with the branch passenger service replaced by a local bus service and the branch goods service operated by local haulage contractors.

I am pleased to report that the mainline services were all reliable, although there were a few hiccups.  80119, with its new decoder, behaved absolutely impeccably for both its runs.  There were a couple of operator errors where the loop crossovers were not reset owing to the divergence of the timetable because of the cessation of branch running.  There was a bit of an accident with 45206 because the milk depot platform ramp fouled its left-hand cylinder.  There was another incident when Forthampton Grange stopped at Point 33, mainly because it stopped too far along the platform and didnít have sufficient momentum to cross the points.  Forthampton Grange is the only loco that has problems with Point 33.  Also, Ditcheat Manor required a bit of encouragement to start from Platform 3.

Iím sorry there are no videos or pictures today, but I have spent far too much time trying to get the panniers back Ďon songí.  We did have a nice walk this morning and I have done a few gardening jobs during the day.  Iím not sure what tomorrow will bring.  I will probably concentrate on running all the mainline trains to make sure everythingís OK before tackling the island platform and the scenery.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2399 on: June 18, 2018, 08:12:59 pm »
Today, the news is better.  Not that 9744 or 6417 are running any better.  I did give them a quick test this afternoon, but they are laid up from active operations at the moment.  However, there is good news.  The management of the Aylesbury and Worcester Operational Department have ordered two 45XX locos for the branch operations.  A straight tank 4571

And a slope tank 5572

Unfortunately, neither are DCC fitted, nor even ready, so they have to go off to Swindon (alias Wickness) for a major refit before branch operations can be resumed.  Once they have been commissioned for branch operations, I may send the two paniers off for major servicing to Swindon.

Apart from that, everything else went (almost) to plan.  The only real problem was that 92006 jumped off the rails at Point 30.  It has never done this before and it is the only loco that uses Track 14.  I tried it two or three times, all with the same result.  So, in the end, I ran it round for a circuit (something I couldnít have done before I started using routes) and then started it more slowly.  I may slow its acceleration to prevent this happening again.  The only other issue was that 80119 stopped at Point 33.  However, when I tried it again, all was well.

I have found that some of the routes programmed into the new operational timetable are incorrect, so I need to revisit that and make sure everything is OK.  Tomorrow, I will continue with timetable running to iron out any other problems.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations