!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 24672 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #360 on: June 13, 2018, 03:48:26 pm »
Excellent, Keith. Did the mountain goats come from the mountains of Crete by any chance?

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #361 on: June 13, 2018, 03:53:22 pm »
Ah, maybe that's where I should be looking for the mountain goats,  :hmmm:

Despite looking for several months (albeit rather intermittently), I still can't find any mountain goats. Hopefully I will be more successful with the seagulls.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #362 on: June 13, 2018, 04:44:19 pm »
Thanks, Keith, for the update and photos. The boat and the sea look very good. I'd apply repeated layers of non-yellowing clear varnish on top of the sea and leave a boat hull-shaped depression in the surface when you come to the final sea surface in the harbour. Then don't forget some seagulls! 8-)

I've heard people paint Johnson's klear on to achieve the same result.

the model boat peeps use clear silicone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFOpc8Q6a7M

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #363 on: June 13, 2018, 05:05:32 pm »
A bit late to the party but Option A for the netting seems best at the moment but would like to hear about new options E & F :uneasy:
From my memories of fishnets (and not me wearing them!) they would not do the job at all :no:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #364 on: June 13, 2018, 05:17:59 pm »
Ah, maybe that's where I should be looking for the mountain goats,  :hmmm:

Despite looking for several months (albeit rather intermittently), I still can't find any mountain goats. Hopefully I will be more successful with the seagulls.

If you search for N Gauge Farmyard animals you should find some goats included, Keith.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #365 on: June 13, 2018, 08:11:58 pm »
Hi Keith,

Might have been discussed before so apologies if so, Faller 155512 has goats. You could sell off the pigs. Not trying to be funny as some people want pigs and some want goats. Am trying to be serious  :).

The Tomytec fishing boats are great IMO. I've got three at the moment for my Brittany fishing harbour. Detail is good and certainly at the price. I know nothing really about boats but to me they look very much like small scallop dredgers which is what I'm trying to achieve....

https://www.diomedia.com/stock-photo-great-scallop-pecten-maximus-fishermen-saint-quay-portrieux-brittany-france-image23168432.html .

Like NPN looking forward to options E and F.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #366 on: June 14, 2018, 06:50:06 am »
Love the little boat.
Option A for the net gets my vote but lets wait for further ideas.
Great stuff
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #367 on: June 14, 2018, 07:10:42 am »
Thank you for all of the comments.

Hi Weave, thank you for the heads up on the Faller set. Iíve probably been too picky in my search, looking only for goats. At the moment I donít foresee a need for other animals on Sonmel. Perhaps we need an ďanimal exchange boardĒ on the forum.  :hmmm: or I could always make some mini bacon sandwiches  :D
Very impressed with the Tomytec boat, and not too challenging to build! Agree that it could be a scallop boat (tasty), itís certainly some type of stern trawler. Iím waiting delivery of the tug boat, then I can decide which to use. With luck they might have similar hull shapes and sizes and I can then have interchangeable scenes.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #368 on: June 14, 2018, 07:22:16 am »
Mini food items.
Now thereís an idea. A bacon sarnie would slip down very well.

I need mini cornish pasties on my layouts.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #369 on: June 14, 2018, 09:02:22 am »
Hi Keith,

Sorry for a bit of a thread hijack here so Martin, was thinking you could knock a few up with blue tac for some sort of pasty festival....

https://cornishpasties.com/giant-cornish-pasty/

Keith, have got a tug boat too but can't get into the train room at the mo as the dogs bark and wake the wife. Think it's slightly bigger than the fishing boat but will let you know asap.

Also, when yours arrives can you please let me know if it comes with a detachable hull like the fishing boat. I didn't bother with the hulls for my previous layouts as they were going to be water. Trťmargat St. Croix is going to be tide out sand so need them back and can't find  :(. but can't remember if the tug boat had one anyway.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:03:45 am by weave »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #370 on: June 14, 2018, 10:07:10 am »
Apologies! Further hijack. Baking such a giant Cornish pasty then exhibiting it to generate publicity is just the sort of promotional stunt that Sylvia and Eli will organise for the North Cornwall Pasty Co.! At Paddington AND Waterloo, of course.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #371 on: June 15, 2018, 06:54:52 am »
Mmmmm, nice looking pasty. Do you know if they make family sized ones as well as the individual?  :drool:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #372 on: June 16, 2018, 03:24:46 pm »
Tug boat has arrived.  :thumbsup:

Here's a photo comparing the hull sizes of the fishing boat (on the left) and the tug boat:

Weave, you correctly recall that the tug boat is bigger. Slightly longer but considerably wider. The tug boat will also require considerably (?) more construction effort. Must be at least 10 pieces.  :D  Don't waste time looking for your tug boat keel, it doesn't come with one! Not suitable for a tide out harbour.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #373 on: June 16, 2018, 08:11:00 pm »
Thank you Keith,

Am so sorry but forgot to compare the two for you. Bad weave, bad weave  :thumbsdown:  :doh:.

Will keep my tug for the future French/Spanish layout or Port Regleun proper with water, whichever comes first, but thanks for letting me know about the hull.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #374 on: June 18, 2018, 06:54:06 am »
No worries Weave, I had already bought the tug boat so itís not as if I was waiting on your reply  :thumbsup:

Fishing boat is fine for the harbour, tug will find a home on my next model..... :)

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here