!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: bit quiet here? Come in and chat some - American Railroads  (Read 3812 times)

Offline Rich_S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: bit quiet here? Come in and chat some - American Railroads
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2018, 10:09:20 pm »
Hi Hiawatha, Thank you for the follow up information. Now that I've read though it, it makes sense the train would have power cars, enabling the Union Pacific to employ any motive power available to pull the train. The power cars take the place of HEP equipment on passenger locomotives. 

The Norfolk Southern F9's assigned to the NS OCS train have HEP (Head End Power) which is actually an auxiliary diesel engine that drives a auxiliary generator to power all the electrical needs of the passenger cars. The exhaust for the HEP is on the roof at the rear of the locomotive, they look like giant automobile exhaust mufflers.

Both F9A's have HEP equipment, the F7B's do not have HEP equipment.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline 70000

• N Gauge Society Number: 27128
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2018, 05:37:43 am »
Have recently completed another scratchbuilt US outline building with appropriate updates in my "On my workbench" thread in case you missed it (as its not in the "American N" section).....
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=36373.75

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2018, 11:22:00 pm »
Have recently completed another scratchbuilt US outline building with appropriate updates in my "On my workbench" thread in case you missed it (as its not in the "American N" section).....
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=36373.75

Hi 70000, Thank you for the link. That is a very nice build of a Lines East Pennsy interlocking tower, great job.
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2018, 05:15:57 pm »
Hi all - hope you are well and still modelling and enjoying life!

Itís been a long hot summer here in Scotland but Iím now sitting in the train shed for s few precious moments, contemplating how best to make the lift bridge connection that will allow completion of the round-the-walls loop off the main Portobello and Joppa North Sea Coastal Railroad.

In other news, various daughters have succeeded in exam things, and the tortoise has had a great time in the heat. My wife is entering a mental no-mans land as a daughter prepares to move out to student life, and I foresee some troubled days ahead for her!

I see that dats has himself flitted to a new railroad world and others have progressed their empires,  so I need to do some catching up!

Iím a good bit fitter than when I last reported in as I spent a week cycling up the biggest mountains in the Pyrenees with my brother as a reward for him recovering to that level after a stroke from a couple of years ago, and Iím now spending precious modelling time keeping the fitness up. Iím sure that wonít last though!

Iíll be back soon

Donald

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2018, 10:27:38 pm »

Iím a good bit fitter than when I last reported in as I spent a week cycling up the biggest mountains in the Pyrenees with my brother as a reward for him recovering to that level after a stroke from a couple of years ago,

Donald

Was that you on the telly Donald? the guy with the white shirt with the red dots?  ;)
Glad to hear you are back at it though, hoping to get in the shed this winter myself, seems to be a long, long time since I did any of my own stuff.

Offline mr magnolia

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2018, 12:16:35 pm »
This is a trip round the Quinton Line as viewed from just behind the loco. Maybe a hoboís eye view.

Hope this of interest even though it is the wrong scale and I hope the mods donít mind me going off scale for a couple of posts.

Very nice. Impressive amount of engineering gone into forming the track bed. Hope you havenít set the garden alight with stray sparks during this long drought summer.

Donald

Offline mr magnolia

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2018, 12:32:20 pm »
Was that you on the telly Donald? the guy with the white shirt with the red dots?  ;)

lol

the weather when we were there was so bad that I think the TV crews had been washed away, together with some of the roads and bridges.  We were persistently and consistently wet, although never really cold apart from at the tops of the  high passes.  The approach to the top of the Tourmalet still had snow piled up above head height and it was foggy, raining, and about 7 centigrade.  Generally it took us nearly as long to get down a mountain as to sweat our way up, as it was so wet, and the roads strewn with debris.  Luckily we were camping, so we could never quite get dry, and so didn't need to fret overmuch about the wet (wrinkly feet for a week was a bit much though)... ::)

I was surprised to see that the climb up the Aubisque still featured in the TdF this year, as when we were there we couldn't get to it (and others) due to landslips:aubisque road collapse June2018

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2018, 01:49:46 pm »
This is a trip round the Quinton Line as viewed from just behind the loco. Maybe a hoboís eye view.

Hope this of interest even though it is the wrong scale and I hope the mods donít mind me going off scale for a couple of posts.

Very nice. Impressive amount of engineering gone into forming the track bed. Hope you havenít set the garden alight with stray sparks during this long drought summer.

Donald

Nope - running diesels

Offline mr magnolia

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2018, 08:14:07 pm »
Nice.
Always best with diesels.

Donald