!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Burton on Trent in N2  (Read 8411 times)

Offline RBE

• Trade Count: (0)
    • RBE Concepts - Shapeways site
    • Awards
Re: Burton on Trent in N2
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2016, 02:32:48 pm »
Thanks Shaun, I have a long way to go yet but the plan is to get it finished before the end of the summer.

The first job is to get the board join sorted as there is no ballast onthe very edge and the primer is still very much evident!

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2016, 12:06:33 am »
A little more done to BoT. Progress has been slow of late. This is the Normans Music warehouse and office as it was in 1991ish. Nowadays Normans has moved elsewhere but the building still exists on Moor Street.

Also had to repaint this loco again recently as the varnish used had yellowed a little over time which I hate (it was phoenix pre thinned so beware). I managed to take the colour off trying to strip the varnish so pretty much had to start again. This time I finished her with humbrol matt clear cote which I find much more agreeable! Bogies still need weathering but body is now done.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2016, 10:18:13 am »
A little more done to BoT. Progress has been slow of late. This is the Normans Music warehouse and office as it was in 1991ish. Nowadays Normans has moved elsewhere but the building still exists on Moor Street.

That's a smashing piece of work. Any chance of some close ups of the interior please?

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2016, 09:21:32 pm »
Couple of early pics during construction. I did a fair bit of tidying on the finished model.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2016, 09:38:14 pm »
Thanks very much for those - they're excellent. Well done!

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2016, 08:50:46 am »
Lovely internal modelling, something a lot of us forego including me except on the odd occasion, although all my coaching stock does have passengers I'm pleased to say.

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2016, 09:14:58 am »
To be honest in N gauge unless lighting the inside there isn't often any need to model inside buildings as they just look dark and you never see them. This one however is cut through at the leading edge of the baseboard. Rather than just making the building cut through as a black face I thought a view inside the building would be more interesting.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2016, 09:19:36 am »
I wish I had your patience and capability that sort of thing is far to fiddly for my old fingers .I used to be able to take a Farish chassis to bits clean and fit new brushes and springs in about twenty minutes ,it now takes me longer than that to take one to bits ,and I definately won't attempt any of the new type Locos they are far to delicate.
Well done that's true modelling and detailing .
Bob

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2016, 09:26:20 am »
Thanks for that Bob. I too am sure that I will end up finding it difficult as the years go on. Luckily my eyes and fingers are still in perfect working order. When that day comes there is always the larger scales I suppose but even then you just add finer details.

Offline Suddaby

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2016, 07:42:31 pm »
Hi,

Been following this here and on RMWeb, really like the look of the trackwork. Did you get any track gauges made, and if so where?

Finally, just wondered if you had any exhibition appearances planned?

Thanks for posting,

Kevin

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2016, 08:40:17 pm »
Interesting idea N2, I'd thought about trying to get better running with NEM profile wheels but it never occurred to me to narrow the gauge slightly through the crossings.  Are there other N2 modellers out there, or is it just you?

Richard

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 09:15:25 pm »
I never had any gauges made but ended up fabricating a flat one from brass strip using very careful filing and a 2 decimal point digital caliper. Not ideal but works. As for N2 there are a few people that have used the gauge narrowing technique but none that have produced a replicatable standard for working to. Generally just eyeballs and a few wagons to test with. My standards are to hopefully take out the guesswork and ensure that the RTR stock will run through regardless (provided that the wheels are not wildly out of b2b gauge for standard N) so far it has worked without fail. The running qualities are vastly improved with no wobble observed when traversing the crossing. In fact you can barely feel it if at all on most points when guiding through with a finger. That is by far one of the greatest asset's of this way of building track alongside the obvious visual improvement.

So far the layout is booked for Mansfield in March and Lichfield in September next year and hopefully DEMU as well in June/July but that one depends on progress over the next few months to convince John it will be ready, which it will of course.

I am open to more bookings though. It will be nice to get a good crack at several shows next year.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 09:17:04 pm by RBE »

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2017, 08:31:39 am »
A few more tasters as I rush to get the layout done for the Lichfield show in September!

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2017, 01:24:54 pm »
A few more progress pics! getting close to the exhibition now and lots still to do!! :confused1:

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2017, 02:24:41 pm »
Have been watching this on RMWeb Cav, and it's mighty impressive. I do like your design for N2, and it certainly looks the part, with none of the faff of re-wheeling everything.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything