!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Burton on Trent in N2  (Read 8793 times)

Offline RBE

• Trade Count: (0)
    • RBE Concepts - Shapeways site
    • Awards
Re: Burton on Trent in N2
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 04:46:29 pm »
I agree. They are the best that I came up with that will allow our rubbish N standards to pass though based on the tolerances that the manufacturers over here allow. The NMRA standards say that back to backs should be 7.56mm min and if that was adopted by uk manufacturers then the standard could be made tighter. I considered back to backing everything to meet the 7.56 but I couldn't then consider it much better than making up something nearer 9.42mm gauge and doing a psuedo 2mm scale if I'm having to set back to backs all over the place. Also that then makes visiting stock an issue. So in conclusion a compromise where pointwork is narrowed to give nicer flangeways was adopted.

Offline GroupC

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 09:17:24 am »
Outstanding work on 31445 I must say, very convincing. I may well have been hauled by that very one on one of my many Cleethorpes - Sheffield spotting trips as a "yoof". Thought they were dead boring and dull as ditchwater then but now feel very nostalgic for them, hence buying 3 of the new Farish 31s, to recreate the old days. Ditto the old 108 DMU's actually... my layout is all about the mundane.

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 10:03:30 am »
Looks much better than the awful standards we have to put up with for Peco track!
Surely anything is better than Peco track?
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 11:54:52 am »
That's looking good  :thumbsup: there must be room for the Bass brewery if you're going to be realistic  :beers:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 02:20:34 pm »
Cheers I'm pretty happy with the 31. I actually always quite liked them even back in the day. Photos are crueller than your eyes though thats for sure.

I will be having the old brewery as low relief in the back but it was alas closed as a brewery by the 90s. The large silos were gone around 1988 too which is a shame as they would have looked interesting behin the tracks.

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 10:06:42 am »
Quick pic of my motive power line up for BoT so far. I also have a 56 on the way!

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2015, 03:46:07 pm »
That is quite a line-up. :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline GroupC

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2015, 05:04:48 pm »
Great fleet you have there... any chance of some close-ups? Particularly like the grimy Peak with its nose job.

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 05:54:05 pm »
I need to take some close ups really but heres one of the peak. Roof fillers and side steps filled in, nose flushed and bogies narrowed. Even the body side graffiti with tinsley snail hand painted by the number. I really like this loco. It was built for my Millers Dale project but will be at home on BoT albeit at the very beginning of my time period (1988).

The loco needs its handrails painting white still though.

Offline GroupC

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 05:55:44 pm »
Superb!

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 07:49:41 pm »
Fantastic modelling, and a location not that far away from me. So, am I right in reading that your modelling period is 1988 to 1993? I do enjoy seeing a good layout build with a set era and correct locos and stock modelled.

Will keep watching with interest. 47550 looks stunning by the way. You have made a spot on job with her. I am planning in 523 IC Mainline as my next Brush for my fleet.

Cheers, Anthony
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:58:59 pm by 37058 »
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Now proud owner of Airesby Colliery - An ex exhibition layout that will soon be back on the exhibition circuit, after a little TLC. Thread coming soon...

Next exhibition for SSA - Shrewsbury Model Railway Show - Saturday 20th October 2018

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 08:10:30 pm »
I need to take some close ups really but heres one of the peak. Roof fillers and side steps filled in, nose flushed and bogies narrowed. Even the body side graffiti with tinsley snail hand painted by the number. I really like this loco. It was built for my Millers Dale project but will be at home on BoT albeit at the very beginning of my time period (1988).

The loco needs its handrails painting white still though.

Flush front Peaks with high intensity headlights...Ruddy hellfire. Just don't know what it is? But they look lovely with a flush front and marker lights. Sorry :drool: I do have 2 Ian Stoate body shell kits for a flush front Peak that have been sat in my drawer for years! Seeing this is making me want to get one out and crack on. Trouble is, my era is 1994-1998. Would I get away with one...Nope :smiley-laughing:

Cheers, Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Now proud owner of Airesby Colliery - An ex exhibition layout that will soon be back on the exhibition circuit, after a little TLC. Thread coming soon...

Next exhibition for SSA - Shrewsbury Model Railway Show - Saturday 20th October 2018

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2015, 08:15:02 pm »
Yes the era will be 1988 to 1993. My other long term layout Millers Dale was set in June 1988 and the stock I had was to fit that period exactly however when doing Burton on Trent certain compromises were needed. Primarily the scenic break of Shobnall road bridge. It wasn't built until 1991 so I was forced to do a date range instead. Of course that had the advantage of some nice later liveries such as the one seen on 47550 (not 528, although I did consider that loco prior to realising that the boiler cover plate was wrong for the donor model (47474) and I'd already detailled primed and sprayed yellow before realising the error so a change in number was required) and also allowed me to run the class 60 which is a cracking model. I have 3 class 47s at present but I will have more thats for sure.

I love flush front peaks. I did the work from scratch on that one, no kits involved. I did consider selling it on when the era moved forward but I like it too much so the era just grew a tad wider to gobble it up. I think your step from 1994 to 1988/9 when the last ones went may well be a step too far!

By the way I did look through your thread a while back. Some lovely modelling and spray work on there I saw!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:18:33 pm by RBE »

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2016, 02:02:05 pm »
A couple of pictures showing some progress since doing an N2 modelling demo at the Mansfield show at the weekend. I'm liking how this is going!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:20:18 pm by RBE »

Offline Shaun Harvey

• N Gauge Society Number: 22486
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2016, 01:24:42 pm »
Well I have to say I have deep layout envy. That is awesome. I might just go into my garage now and cry!

Keep the pictures coming...this is stunning!

king regards.

shaun

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here