!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Burton on Trent in N2  (Read 8773 times)

Offline RBE

• Trade Count: (0)
    • RBE Concepts - Shapeways site
    • Awards
Burton on Trent in N2
« on: October 21, 2015, 08:45:27 am »
Ok I'm sure some of you have seen my build over on RMWeb but others may not have so felt I should post here too. Firstly what is N2? It nothing new really but using 2mm association componants to build better track that will accept standard N wheel standards. What defines it as N2 though is that it doesnt just use code 40 rail set to the wide standards used by peco etc but requires the narrowing of gauge through pointwork to allow 0.8mm flangeways without having to reset back to backs. Having experimented with many combinations of standard I devised my N2 based on the diagram below. (Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
(8.85mm gauge, 0.8mm flangways with 7.4mm back to back and 7.25mm check rail clearance)

Anyway lets cue Burton on Trent. Looking for a stopgap layout build somewhere in the midlands that realistically is able to provide a scenic backdrop to the N gauge stock that I am building up for Millers Dale in the 80s (see RMWeb) I inadvertently looked at Burton. The trackplan is simple yet with its small PW yard to the east provides mainline running, station activity and shuntiness into and out of the PW yard. It has what I need. Its also a real place so fits my new found love for modeling real locations. There are issues though but a quick flash of my modelers licence to the authorities should take care of that.

First up is compression, although the real location translates to approx 9ft in N its still too large for what I have in mind so the squishometer has been broken out of storage and used to reduce the trackplan into a 6ft scenic section. It has worked ok but will require slight shortening of some services i.e. 6 coach HST set for example. I'm pretty happy to do PC, TGS, TS, TS, TS, RB, TF, PC though to be honest.

Secondly, Shobnall Road bridge. The bridge to the south of the station was built in 1991. As my stock is 1988 based this could be an issue however to provide a scenic break I MUST model it. I can pretty much get away with all of my stock except for the class 45 however if I set the layout to span the period 1988 to 1993 then I can run all my stock and just use the old modelers licence for the bridge.

Thirdly the Silos in the adjacent yard. These also went sometime around 1988. I don't need to model these really but would've been nice to have them.

The track will be handbuilt track to the standard I will use on Millers Dale. The scenic section is 6ft long and the return curve boards are 350mm x 3ft to get the tracks to the rear 6ft long traverser.

I will add some layout pictures and updates later when I get to grips with how to do so on here.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 12:39:32 pm by RBE »

Offline RBE

• Awards
Re: Burton on Trent in N2
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 10:01:53 am »
Ok a few pics of progress.

Firstly track work going down. Pretty happy with this so far. I've added MAS ducting using scribed 2x1mm plastic strip and fitted etched cranks with wire linkages to represent the linkages from the yard ground frame.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

And a couple of indulgent pics  of two of my latest repaints. Both need weathering yet.
First mainline blue to RF petroleum 60027 'Joseph Banks' using my own etched nameplates as the names arent available from Shawplan and pretty much guarantees individuality

Secondly parcels red to intercity mainline 47550 'University of Dundee' again with my own etched plates and ploughs.

And for anyone interested my almost complete  3D printed YEA perch. I will be doing a rake of these complete with chute and gantry wagons. Watch this space.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 12:38:57 pm by RBE »

Offline Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 03:39:05 pm »
"shuntiness"???  Excellent word - may I borrow it please?

Oh yeah, and, excellent pics, please keep 'em coming.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 03:47:27 pm »
Haha "shuntiness" isn't copyrighted as far as I know. Feel free to spread the love.

Thanks for the kind comments. I will keep the thread updated, however I am currently on a forced heitus following a spine operation 2 weeks ago. Can't do much for long without having to lay down again. I plan to get back at it soon enough though.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 08:26:34 pm »
I look forward to seeing future developments :thumbsup:

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 09:39:24 pm »
Hand laid track, a labour of love! :) Looking good. I hope you get over your op soon and back to serious modeling. :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 08:09:15 am »
I would never have it any other way. I find the looks of the turnouts and the ability to produce flowing trackwork far too alluring. Once you do handbuilt you can't ever look at peco in the same light again!

I'm very much looking forward to cracking on. I have a show booked for next March which is going to be a tall order as things are at the moment!

Offline David Asquith

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23346
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 09:51:33 am »
I like 'shuntiness' too.  Also 'flashing modellers licence' and  'squishometer'.  Maybe we all ought to print a licence out to flash at SWMBO, Her Indoors, The Domestic Authorities or any others in a position of fiscal control!
Great modelling too.

Dave

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 10:08:21 am »
Maybe we all ought to print a licence out to flash at SWMBO, Her Indoors, The Domestic Authorities or any others in a position of fiscal control!

Or preferably, as we used to say, "grow a pair" ::)

Paul

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 10:12:47 am »
Haha. Indeed to both. I prefer to use the licence to the know it all types at shows who know some crazy obscure thing that probably only 0.5% of rail enthusiasts would ever know. I am a bit anal about stuff it has to be said but you really do have to balance it out with common sense. Some people just cruise shows to pick fault. Oh well I'm sure that they'd be much happier if they could just enjoy the show! Maybe a licence with a profanity on it would work better!

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 10:15:55 am »
Ah the classic "wrong colour cows" type of person that you just want to punch ;)

Paul

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 10:43:46 am »
Yes absolutely. I find there is usually at least 1 per show over  a weekend. I don't tend to lose much sleep over it though. I'm sure I will get a few with BoT as I'm running a time period of 5 years stock wise rather than a set date. I'm sure when my class 45 is sat in the loop with a short departmental freight or in the platform substituting for a DMU on a local service and a class 60 steams by on the Kingsbury tanks they will soil their pants!

Online GroupC

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 12:47:08 pm »
Top quality work there and an excellent idea for your layout. I love the smooth flowing track, very well realised. Proper locos too (and I see a blue 31 lurking in the background), can't get much better!

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 01:24:23 pm »
Cheers. The 31 is a much reworked detailed and repainted farish model (not the new model) to represent a refurbished 31/4 loco. Came out really well. The bogies and underframe still need final weathering done but I only have one pair of hands and so much to do!!

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 01:37:11 pm by RBE »

Offline Bartercode

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 04:31:26 pm »
If the standards you are working to really are the best then maybe it should become some form of standard, with gauges, official Templot recognition etc? Looks much better than the awful standards we have to put up with for Peco track!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything