!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: UM Dean Goods price + pre-ordering  (Read 30339 times)

Offline msr

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
Re: UM Dean Goods price + pre-ordering
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2015, 09:22:57 am »

However let's instead look at the current locos as I judge mine on a balance of all things which absolutely includes performance.
Kind Regards

Roy

I am very impressed by the slow running qualities of my pair of UM Dean Goods. I think Colin is employing a different motor and the running characteristics are considerably improved over previous productions.

Offline msr

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2015, 11:59:31 am »
Here's some measurements for the tender, using laymans' terminology:
width of tender body (external): 17 mm
length of tender body, front to back: 46 mm - the buffers extend a further 3 mm
height of tender body from base of tender side to top of coal retainer: 11 mm
height of tender body from base of tender side to top of water tank (ie. excluding the coal retainer): 7.5 mm
Height of chassis, from chassis top down to top of rail (i.e. bottom of wheel where it runs on the track): 10 mm
Height of chassis, from chassis top down to base of axle springs: 8 mm

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2015, 12:04:35 pm »
Thanks msr.

Best,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline msr

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2015, 12:16:31 pm »
Further to the measurements, here are some photos to show the tender innards:

Offline GrahamB

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2015, 12:34:09 pm »
 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I exchanged e-mails with Colin yesterday and today I phoned him to confirm a pre order for one Dean Goods - in GWR green livery - with GWR on the tender! :claphappy:

Delivery hoped to be in time for Christmas  :beers:

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2015, 01:25:02 pm »
I exchanged e-mails with Colin yesterday and today I phoned him to confirm a pre order for one Dean Goods - in GWR green livery - with GWR on the tender! :claphappy:
Ooo, post-war GWR livery?  :drool:

I haven't gotten around to picking one up yet but as I model the late 40s and early 50s, that would be even better.  :claphappy:
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2015, 08:20:48 pm »
UM models are simply engineered and arguably the same is true of them. I have so far worn out only one - one of the early J39s, they last well but obviously do wear out in the end!

What was the means of wearing out? How much running did this take? I've been concerned with UM that the chassis use the very soft metal that comprises the whole loco for bearing surfaces, and it seems likely this would wear badly in time, and worse, won't be easy to rectify without complete replacement.

I've seen one badly worn B12, but I didn't have its history to know how much service it'd seen.

Cheers,
Alan

Hi Alan

The J39 in question was one with Colin Heard's second "low noise" tender drive incarnations where there is a single worm driving all three axles via a gear train which ran along the centre of the chassis. Essentially the problem was chassis block bearing wear. I dread to think how many hours of running that loco had been subjected to but I used it a lot in the late 90s through early 00's and we would be talking very high as I would leave it running on the layout for hours at a time.

It began to run very poorly, "lumpy" would be the best word to describe it, the problem was excessive slop in the tender axle bearings leaving the axles loose thus gears were no longer meshing consistently or at least that was my conclusion. Akin to an aged Peco Jubilee I once had.

Regards

Roy

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2015, 07:32:32 pm »
Nice pics MSR, I feel my credit card trembling!

Card gave up the unequal struggle!, ordered yesterday afternoon on the doorstep this morning, excellent service from Colin as usual. Runs beautifully in both directions and for 72 good value. Looks very good in Great Western livery as in MSR's pictures.
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2015, 07:34:20 pm »
Nice pics MSR, I feel my credit card trembling!

Card gave up the unequal struggle!, ordered yesterday afternoon on the doorstep this morning, excellent service from Colin as usual. Runs beautifully in both directions and for 72 good value. Looks very good in Great Western livery as in MSR's pictures.

Glad you like the locomotive. I think it's excellent value and really pleased with my black version.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2015, 08:18:51 am »
Oh lawks!

Another loco that just has to be added to the stable!

Dr Al, please can we have a photo/idiot-proof tutorial on hiding the cable and would the same method work for my lovely T9?

Dave G

Offline Toneeze

• N Gauge Society Number: 11231
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2015, 05:58:28 pm »
 :hellosign: Just finished a 2 day show in Corby running my new UM dean goods shunting wagons, ran faultlessly-no more need be said. :thankyousign:

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2015, 07:11:43 pm »
Further to the measurements, here are some photos to show the tender innards:

I have only just looked at these "lid off" pics of the Dean Goods.

Back to brass worms - very interesting indeed!

I suggested to Colin H that the nylon worm onto nylon gear wheel may have been the cause of the poorer slow running of my D16/3 (more stiction than brass on nylon). He very generously returned the replacement tender drive I bought with brass worms on it instead. Running is now much improved.

Maybe he has taken my thoughts on board. It might explain why people have been especially happy with the performance of this most recent release. Certainly my recently purchased J38 is noisier and less good at slow running than my earlier brass-wormed J26 I have been comparing it with.

Of course the reversion could just be pure coincidence!

Roy

P.S. Having had a "light bulb moment" I decided to swap motors between the two locos mentioned above (a five minute job) I now find the J38 performing much better than it was before the swap and the J26 much worse.....
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 08:33:20 pm by Roy L S »

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2015, 10:10:55 pm »
P.S. Having had a "light bulb moment" I decided to swap motors between the two locos mentioned above (a five minute job) I now find the J38 performing much better than it was before the swap and the J26 much worse.....

The motors seem to be a bit variable - I've seen that prior to conversion to Mashimas - I had some that were very sticky at low speed, and others that were much better. Must be a motor batch thing.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2015, 07:13:52 pm »

The motors seem to be a bit variable - I've seen that prior to conversion to Mashimas - I had some that were very sticky at low speed, and others that were much better. Must be a motor batch thing.

Cheers,
Alan

Hi Alan

I have tried four mechanisms with the nylon worm and all have the same issues - poorer slow running and noisier. The motors may contribute but I'm pretty convinced, especially after last night's motor unit swap that the real issue is in the material and/or thickness and pitch of the "teeth" on the plastic worm.

It could well be that the superior low down torque of the Mashima is better able to overcome the extra "stiction" of the arrangement used in recent times (up until this release) better than the cheaper can motor Colin Heard uses maybe?

Regards

Roy

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2015, 07:28:28 pm »
This isn't conclusive Roy - you'd need to test the motor external to the chassis with no load, and see if it's more sticky, draws more current, starts at a higher voltage/controller setting etc.

I don't recall what the stickiest one had - they were all changed a long time ago now - even a good UM motor is outclassed by the Mashima 1015.

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here