!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: UM Dean Goods price + pre-ordering  (Read 29626 times)

Offline dch05

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: UM Dean Goods price + pre-ordering
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2015, 07:49:50 pm »
I think it already a success, I`d like one in shirtbutton which he indicated he might produce. City of Truro now that would be good,lets hope Dapol don`t produce one. :worried:

:thumbsup: I have 2 on the way in plain green, & plan to apply shirtbuttons myself.  Colin seems happy to oblige. Yes, a City of Truro would be more than fine - I'm hoping Colin is moving from the dark side now into the GWR light!!! (Though I would love to find an excuse to have a green B12.............) ;)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2015, 08:04:47 pm »
City of Truro - now there's a thought !
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2015, 08:10:06 pm »
City of Truro - now there's a thought !
I keep hoping that Bachmann will shrink theirs.  :angel:
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2015, 08:32:42 pm »
I keep hoping Colin Heard reverts to the "dark side" and we see some more ex-LNER Scottish prototypes to disprove the perceived notion that Scottish locos do not sell (I think it was Les who said his J38 was his worst seller).

That said as a "Rule 1" loco that Dean Goods in BR black is mighty tempting...I'm not surprised Colin has been so busy shipping them!

Roy

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2015, 08:50:33 pm »
I keep hoping Colin Heard reverts to the "dark side" and we see some more ex-LNER Scottish prototypes to disprove the perceived notion that Scottish locos do not sell (I think it was Les who said his J38 was his worst seller).
Asking someone else to risk their money on your idea is a little unrealistic, isn't it? If locomotives that operated only in Scotland don't sell well, then it's totally understandable that manufacturers won't take a big risk making them. On the other hand, if you think there's a viable demand for Scottish locos, then maybe it's time to organise a kickstarter? Perhaps discuss with Colin Heard whether he'd be amenable to the idea if you could collect the thousand or whatever commitments needed to buy the LNER loco you have in mind. Like what's happening with the Class 21/29 with Dapol.

That said, my perception of the Union Mills stocklist is that it's mostly LNER and LMS regional (if not necessarily origin) locomotives already. A couple SR regional locomotives in recent years, and the Dean Goods is the very first GWR locomotive. So it's not as if Colin has been cranking out a ton of prototypes that couldn't be used in a North of England or Scottish environment. As someone with a taste for GWR stuff, I'm thrilled Colin has made this loco, and will be ordering one or other livery as soon as I've seen pictures of the two models.

That said as a "Rule 1" loco that Dean Goods in BR black is mighty tempting...I'm not surprised Colin has been so busy shipping them!
Roy
Quite so. There's perhaps a lot of pent-up demand for a rugged and reliable GWR model, as well as a few who missed out on (or couldn't afford) the equivalent Peco model, their Collett Goods 0-6-0.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2015, 09:27:03 pm »
Asking someone else to risk their money on your idea is a little unrealistic, isn't it? If locomotives that operated only in Scotland don't sell well, then it's totally understandable that manufacturers won't take a big risk making them. On the other hand, if you think there's a viable demand for Scottish locos, then maybe it's time to organise a kickstarter? Perhaps discuss with Colin Heard whether he'd be amenable to the idea if you could collect the thousand or whatever commitments needed to buy the LNER loco you have in mind. Like what's happening with the Class 21/29 with Dapol.

That said, my perception of the Union Mills stocklist is that it's mostly LNER and LMS regional (if not necessarily origin) locomotives already. A couple SR regional locomotives in recent years, and the Dean Goods is the very first GWR locomotive. So it's not as if Colin has been cranking out a ton of prototypes that couldn't be used in a North of England or Scottish environment. As someone with a taste for GWR stuff, I'm thrilled Colin has made this loco, and will be ordering one or other livery as soon as I've seen pictures of the two models.

Roy
Quite so. There's perhaps a lot of pent-up demand for a rugged and reliable GWR model, as well as a few who missed out on (or couldn't afford) the equivalent Peco model, their Collett Goods 0-6-0.

Cheers, NeMo

I am not being "unrealistic" as I have no expectation. I did not say I was asking for anything I said I keep hoping. Scottish locos being slow sellers is reportedly Colin H's perception based on his experience with the J38. That is the one purely Scottish loco Colin Heard has made, a class of 30 locos similar to the J39 (reportedly over the years his best seller ironically!) but with smaller driving wheels. They were very limited in their geographical spread in Scotland and in their operation, mostly mineral traffic, probably the reason for their limited appeal. The J36 or D34 Glen may be a different proposition entirely but I'm not asking him to "risk" a penny, if he does he does, if not so be it....

Incidentally Colin's batch runs can be measured more in terms of 50 to 100 of each livery as I understand it and are certainly nowhere near the thousand that you refer to for a "Kickstarter". Were I so inclined yes, I could approach him for a commission but as far as I am aware he produces only the models he chooses and I have never heard of him entertaining one for anyone else (except the D20 NER special edition run of 50 many years back but that was just a re-livery).

In recent years Colin has looked more at LMS and SR and derivatives, and chosen some great prototypes. The D16/3 last year was a return to an LNER prototype but who knows what his cjoice for next year might be. Personally I see an outside framed loco as unlikely, one would be thinking more in terms of a simple inside cylindered tender loco, and therein lies the issue as far as GW choices are concerned, there aren't very many, in fact off the top of my head only the 2251 and Dean Goods come to mind..

Regards

Roy

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2015, 06:25:49 am »
Understood Roy L S. Wasn't meant to be a "dig" at you.

If these models are made in batches of a hundred models, then this seems like a no brainer to me. If you think one or other of these Scottish locos could that many at least, then surely it's the world's easiest kickstarter? As you correctly point out, a lot easier than the thousands needed for other kickstarters.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline ohlavache

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25956
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2015, 03:12:48 pm »
Hello.
I've just ordered mine in GWR green livery.
I can't wait to receive it.  :bounce:

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2015, 11:38:56 am »
HOWS THIS FOR SERVICE
I have been waiting for a picture of the Union Mills Dean Goods and when Toneeze showed his great pictures made up my mind.

At half past two yesterday I phoned Colin Heard and ordered a green model and at twenty past eleven the postman knocked on the door with my Dean Goods  ,it looks a cracking model and at 75 including postage is is  amazing how a small company can produce and deliver such good models so quick .
I will give it a good testing tomorrow and post my report later,
It's absolutly hammering down with rain at the moment so no chance of going down today. I think some other manufacturers should take notice of this .
Toneeze you were right it does look stunning I was a bit worried about the Hight of the tender but it looks OK to my eyes not super detail but just what I need some thing solid and reliable like all of Colin's models I have quite a few of his early models . By the way I'm not connected with Union Mills only a very satisfied customer.
Bob
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:53:23 am by Bob Tidbury, Reason: Forgot to include p&p in. »

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2015, 12:28:48 pm »
Waiting for my credit card to change over to next month so I can order one  :veryangry: :veryangry:

Offline msr

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2015, 03:26:20 pm »
Here are some pix. I think the matt smokebox contrasts nicely with the gloss finish on the boiler.

Someone asked about the view of the cab interior. Lighting is not easy, but hopefully overexposure reveals the required details.

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2015, 05:40:04 pm »
Nice pics MSR, I feel my credit card trembling!
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2015, 05:45:37 pm »
Looks beautiful in green! Is this an authentic livery for the class? Is any further lining required?

Cheers, NeMo

Offline msr

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2015, 07:12:54 pm »
If you Google GWR 2516 you will get some useful pix of her in Swindon: no lining but the safety valve and whistle should be copper and the handrails picked out in steel.

Looking at other people's models it would appear that lining could be applied and would certainly enhance the model, provided this is appropriate for your era.

And that massive cable between tender and cab could usefully be disguised!

Offline msr

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2015, 07:26:59 pm »
I know one shouldn't model a model, but this photo is particularly useful:
http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1496_1_2234648.html

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50