!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tilbury Tanks and Midland Spinners  (Read 26856 times)

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Tilbury Tanks and Midland Spinners
« Reply #195 on: April 05, 2018, 05:36:52 pm »
Much work has already been done with that thick rag, but I'm drooling again... Ever considered making a few... spares of the same loco...?

Truth. Some spectacular modelling here. That loco would look impressive in 4mm scale, let alone 2mm -- really hope you'll post some videos of this fine lady in service on your layout.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline msr

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: April 05, 2018, 05:46:14 pm »
Videos are outside my comfort zone but I shared some photos of No.672 on my layout on page 12 of this thread. No.676 is not quite so pristine, but looks magnificent with that oily rag weathering effect.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:07:55 pm by msr »

Offline Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: April 05, 2018, 06:01:58 pm »
Exquisite work, N Gauge modelling at its finest.

Roy

Offline simon.bolton

• 2mm Association Number: 4778
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: April 07, 2018, 05:26:45 pm »
Thanks everyone for your kind words, it's always encouraging! I have got a rather shonky video of a test drive for Spinner No.676 before it went to its new home on Michael's layout but I have been very unsuccessful in loading it here...is there a special way?
I am presently building another Spinner; test etch(Mk2).

It has a roll up boiler instead of brass tubing. It's suprisingly successful and I used my little lathe for the first time ever...to turn down a piece of wooden dowling to the exact inside dimensions to allow me to solder the boiler. Excitement!

As for the oily rag. It's a mix of Martin Welch, Tim Shackleton and my magic ingredient, fine coal dust. I've had this bottle of Johnson's Klear for 10 years or so after I read an article, I think by George Dent. It's the first time I've used it and it's great, just carefully brush on after lining and painting and it self levels and sets quickly. The coal dust goes on after that and then everything is polished up.

Cheers
Simon

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #199 on: April 07, 2018, 05:50:56 pm »
I have got a rather shonky video of a test drive for Spinner No.676 before it went to its new home on Michael's layout but I have been very unsuccessful in loading it here...is there a special way?

So far as I know, you have to upload to YouTube first, and from there you get a link that you can simply paste into your forum posting and -- as if by magic! -- the video will be embedded. If you're struggling or don't have a YouTube account, feel free to PM me and we can upload it to my YouTube account and I'll send you the link. I'm sure others would oblige in the same way if you have pals here that you know have YouTube accounts.

Cheers, NeMo

PS That etch looks so enticing! Flat like that, it looks so easy to put together -- though I know it definitely isn't!

Offline msr

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: April 07, 2018, 06:12:24 pm »
How fine does the coal dust have to be?  Is it crushed to be like flour (like AMMO MIG weathering pigments/powders)?

Offline simon.bolton

• Awards
« Reply #201 on: April 07, 2018, 06:25:55 pm »
Ah, thankyou, does this work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmztaks6J0g

I'm working on making the etch to be as less fiddly to construct as I possibly can to try to minimise all those burnt fingertips!

The coal dust that I use is the ultra-fine stuff that collects around the inside of the plastic container, presumably through static attraction, after much crushing. I've ordered some MIG powders and am looking forward to trying them.

Cheers
Simon
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 06:48:57 pm by Caz, Reason: Embedded video using YouTube option »

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #202 on: April 07, 2018, 06:39:06 pm »
Ah, thankyou, does this work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmztaks6J0g

Does indeed work!

But you can also paste the YouTube link between the two "youtube" tag things that appear if you click the YouTube button when composing a message.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline simon.bolton

• Awards
« Reply #203 on: May 31, 2018, 03:41:48 pm »
A quick update to things Midland. The 1400 drawings are coming on well and Number 3 re-draft for the Spinner is being influenced by the build of No. 2 draft...if you see what I mean. I wanted to check clearances for 2mm wheels particularly but there's no problem because even though they're slightly further apart they're generally a little bit skinnier than N Gauge. Also I wanted to make it as easy to build as I possibly could!

Cheers
Simon

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: May 31, 2018, 05:25:15 pm »
Oh wow!.  If ever i have a category 1 type item on my wish list, this one is high up it.  She looks magnificent.  I see her hauling specials into Portpatrick Town and even Allanbrae.

Offline broadsword

• Awards
« Reply #205 on: May 31, 2018, 06:10:22 pm »
Great work, I always liked that configuration, very quirky ! Was always hoping
Union Mills would produce a version, as my building skills not too hot !

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:13:35 pm by broadsword, Reason: posted before completed »

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £62.00
Above Goal: £7.00
Site Currency: GBP
113% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything