!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Next Union Mills Model will be...  (Read 43161 times)

Offline Chris Morris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
Re: Next Union Mills Model will be...
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2016, 02:50:21 pm »
Peco  have a good business selling track, kits and now 009. So far as I am can work out there are two chances Peco re-running the 2251 - slim and non.

I don't have a Dean Goods because it doesn't fit my late 50s early 60s scene. If a 2251 is produced by Union Mills I will almost certainly buy one. I'm pretty sure all the GW 4-4-0s had gone by the mid 50s, certainly from the South West so I wouldn't buy one of those.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:53:05 pm by Chris m »

Offline N-Gauge-US

• N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2016, 03:00:40 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Mike! I thought he might do another GWR loco after the Dean Goods proved so popular. My money is on the Dukedogs, which I would be very tempted by, admittedly.

Of course I would love him to do an exLBSCR loco, but I'll take what I can get :)

Philip
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Offline mr bachmann

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2016, 03:19:44 pm »
just think if its a Dean goods , you Western lot can run ex LNER J25's as the MOD sent the dean locos to France during the war , thus leaving the GWR without power so they sent the J25's to help out .... (didn't 2 panniers end up in the Thurso/Wick area ?)

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2016, 03:25:14 pm »
(didn't 2 panniers end up in the Thurso/Wick area ?)

They did indeed. Here is 1649 at Dingwall.

Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2016, 04:09:54 pm »
just think if its a Dean goods , you Western lot can run ex LNER J25's as the MOD sent the dean locos to France during the war , thus leaving the GWR without power so they sent the J25's to help out .... (didn't 2 panniers end up in the Thurso/Wick area ?)

One of the J25s (off the top of my head no.2000) was the only NER 0-6-0 ever to enter a London terminal after it was allocated to Old Oak Common and used on ecs duties......

Les

Offline trkilliman

• N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2016, 06:18:06 pm »
I have never owned a U.M loco, come to think of it not sure I have ever seen one. From what I understand they lack the detail of loco's from the big two manufacturers, but are very reliable with great hauling power. I could be tempted to give U.M. a try with a Dukedog or similar.

How have people found the Dean Goods?

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2016, 06:30:04 pm »
I have never owned a U.M loco, come to think of it not sure I have ever seen one. From what I understand they lack the detail of loco's from the big two manufacturers, but are very reliable with great hauling power.

Spot on. Colin does one thing, but does it very well: simple designs with plenty of space for big, reliable motor. No circuit boards to go wrong surely helps in the reliability stakes, and the coarsely detailed steel metal bodywork gives them plenty of weight (and therefore adhesion). But you're absolutely right that you don't get the details that plastic fixtures and fittings allows, and the simple mechanism limits the models to those with space enough for a large motor.

I think any modeller would enjoy having one or two, simply as fun toy trains. Others have done some outstanding work detailing them with brass handrails and the like, but that's a whole other kettle of fish...

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2016, 06:36:00 pm »
I have never owned a U.M loco, come to think of it not sure I have ever seen one. From what I understand they lack the detail of loco's from the big two manufacturers, but are very reliable with great hauling power. I could be tempted to give U.M. a try with a Dukedog or similar.

How have people found the Dean Goods?

Dean Goods with DCC fitted by Wickness.... A1

Offline Chris Morris

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2016, 07:21:41 pm »
City of Truro could be used on railways from early last century to present day so could have a wide appeal

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 07:26:05 pm by Chris m »

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2016, 07:45:49 pm »
Whatever GWR loco it will be I am going through my impulse bought stock so I can save enough for at least two, I'm already trying to find the boxes for my 4 pair of intermodal flats and Asda containers  which will be on sales or 25 each  at the AGM at Corsham  ,maybe some Locos as well not sure what to sell ,there are quite a few that don't ever see the light of day ,so might as well let someone else have the pleasure and use of them.
Bob

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2016, 08:33:41 pm »
The body is cast White metal not steel. A lot easier to hack than steel would be! Just don't get a normal temperature soldering iron near it - it will melt.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline ohlavache

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25956
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2016, 11:47:00 am »
Thanks for the tip, Mike! I thought he might do another GWR loco after the Dean Goods proved so popular. My money is on the Dukedogs, which I would be very tempted by, admittedly.

A Dukedog would be fantastic !
Let's cross fingers.

Offline Chris Morris

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2016, 12:13:59 pm »

A Dukedog would be fantastic !
Let's cross fingers.

Nah. Outside frame would require a new chassis. Also very limited sphere of operation and all gone by 1960.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2016, 12:21:24 pm »
Last time I spoke to Colin he almost ruled out City of Truro because of the outside frames ,but you never know maybe he was just trying to put me off the scent . I would be over the moon if he did do something along those lines and my stock box would take a hit to enable me to get one or two .I will have something on the stand next Saturday not sure what yet but the Asda wagons have got to go at 25 for each pair , although can negotiate on the price if anyone wants all 4 pair
If any one is interested PM me and I will reserve them for you.First come first served .
Bob
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 12:48:15 pm by Bob Tidbury, Reason: Miss spelt »

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2016, 12:33:59 pm »
I'm pretty sure all the GW 4-4-0s had gone by the mid 50s, certainly from the South West so I wouldn't buy one of those.

Largely irrelevant. GWR locos almost sell themselves, and something as "cute" as a 4-4-0 would fly off the shelves.

It is interesting that despite the persistent comments about how the hobby "needs" Scottish or northeastern locos, the best-selling locos seem to be from the supposedly already well-served GWR. Do GWR modellers simply keep their heads down compared to the more vociferous modellers of other regions?  :confused2:

Cheers, NeMo

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here