!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Next Union Mills Model will be...  (Read 43163 times)

Offline Portpatrick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
Re: Next Union Mills Model will be...
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2015, 12:12:26 pm »
My plea has been for a D34 "Glen".

Roy

I second, third and fourth that!  I have "converted" a BHE round boilered Claude into a passable resemblance, but to have the real thing would be nice - esp as I never found one of the Graham Hughes kits.

Incidentally I turned a belpair Claude kit into a passable Director - but then Colin produced his own, and I recently purchased a non running Gem kit on Ebay.  30 mins work and it is now fine.  It has superb lining which I could not do.

Offline PGN

• N Gauge Society Number: 7306
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2015, 10:24:34 am »
Did Graham Hughes do a "Glen" kit, then?? I don't think I've got that in my table of pre-grouping locomotives ...

Now, if you want to get a Glen out of Colin Heard, you're going to have to address his perception that "Scottish locomotives dont' sell very well". For ages he's been saying that by FAR the slowest-selling locomotive he ever made was the J38 ... but I notice that it's back on his list.

So perhaps the most useful thing you can do, if you want a Glen, is to persuade as many people as you can to go and buy a J38 ("it's been out of his list for EVER so long ... if you don't get one of this batch before they sell out, it might be ever such a long wait before the next ones become available ..." You know the form!)
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2015, 10:43:24 am »
Did Graham Hughes do a "Glen" kit, then?? I don't think I've got that in my table of pre-grouping locomotives ...

Now, if you want to get a Glen out of Colin Heard, you're going to have to address his perception that "Scottish locomotives dont' sell very well". For ages he's been saying that by FAR the slowest-selling locomotive he ever made was the J38 ... but I notice that it's back on his list.

So perhaps the most useful thing you can do, if you want a Glen, is to persuade as many people as you can to go and buy a J38 ("it's been out of his list for EVER so long ... if you don't get one of this batch before they sell out, it might be ever such a long wait before the next ones become available ..." You know the form!)

I have agonised over a J38 for a while. They were though I think only common at the North end of the Waverley Route.

My other issue is ease of DCC "ing" without major surgery...

Roy

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2015, 10:56:09 am »
I'm looking forward to a Dean Goods (especially as it's a UM model).
Does Colin take advance orders does anyone know ?

Yes. Email him.

If Colin has managed to build the motor into a Dean Goods, how difficult would a Midland Spinner be? That would be a fantastic model, surely?

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2015, 12:59:37 am »

I have agonised over a J38 for a while. They were though I think only common at the North end of the Waverley Route.

My other issue is ease of DCC "ing" without major surgery...

Roy

I did the most recent of my J27s myself.  Chipping the tender was the easy part, getting the chipped mechanism back into the loco was harder.

First I wore out three diamond tipped burrs trying to ream out the inside of the tender to make the extra millimetre of clearance I needed to get the chip inside.  Then  I toyed with the idea of asking Douglas at Wickness Models what he uses to mill out the tender.  THEN I thought laterally..

I took a power drill and a sharp drill bit to the front of the tender and drilled out a slot wide and deep enough for the decoder to pass through.  If I'd thought on I'd have used a smaller hole and passed the wires through the other way- and done it before wiring up the tender!   The decoder now projects through into the cab with half a driver and half a fireman showing through the side windows above it.  I added a storm sheet from thin black paper to hide the view from above. 

To see the decoder you have to know it is there.  No worse looking than Dapol drive shafts, cab-roof speakers or lengths of tubing passing the other way to tenders with chips inside.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2015, 09:04:23 am »
A photo of your J27 would be good even though I'm not a DCC man myself I'm  sure lots of members would love to see your work.
Bob

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2015, 11:12:33 am »
A photo of your J27 would be good even though I'm not a DCC man myself I'm  sure lots of members would love to see your work.
Bob

Me for one. It is the J38 I would like to chip so may have a bit more room in the LNER Group Standard tender to mill out space but to have a "plan B" (and a solution I probably wouldn't have thought of) would be great.

Roy

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2015, 01:45:50 am »
Best I can do at short notice.  Layout is currently in process of being packed up for a short-notice show- Kirkby in Ashfield Oct 10-11, then on to the clubroom to be photographed by Andy York.

If you blow it to higher magnification you can see the chip in the cab.  This was before the half-driver was added, or more actually between removing him from the wrong side of the cab and putting him back on the right side!  The storm sheet has also lifted a little- it is less well behaved on this one than on the J25 I did earlier.  I'd also caught the tender rails without noticing until I picked the loco up after photographing.

I did mention I'm medically ham-fisted?

Les
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 01:47:28 am by Les1952, Reason: typo »

Offline elmo

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2015, 03:02:43 pm »
My Dean Goods arrived yesterday. Excellent runner at all speeds. looking forwarding to detailing it.

Elmo

Offline Geoff

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2015, 03:26:07 pm »
Does anyone have an up to date list of there Loco's? any chance you could take a picture and post.
Geoff

Offline Toneeze

• N Gauge Society Number: 11231
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2015, 04:50:23 pm »
 :hellosign: Goeff , There is a price list in the N gauge mag. Price ranges from 69.+ P+P (3. ) to 82 +P+P for the POW 4-6-0 .BARGAIN

Offline Arrachogaidh

• N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2015, 05:39:39 pm »
I'd be looking for either of the following......

57261  Ex Caledonian "Jumbo"
Grouping : London Midland & Scottish Railway
Configuration : 0-6-0
Common Name : Standard Goods
Designer : Drummond D
Introduced 1883. D Drummond Caledonian "Standard Goods" Class.
(a) Additions by Lambie and McIntosh, rebuilt with LMS boiler.
102 locos were fitted with Westinghouse brakes for passenger train working.
Weight:
Loco 41 tons 6 cwt Driving Wheel: 5' 0"
42 tons 4 cwt (a) Boil Press: 180lb/sq in NS
Cylinders: Two Valve Gear: Stephenson (slide valves)
18" x 26" (inside) TE: 21,480 lb

65310 ex LNER    J36

Grouping : London & North Eastern Railway
Configuration : 0-6-0
Common Name :
Designer : Holmes (Reid/Ch
Introduced 1888. Holmes NBR design. Later rebuilt by Reid & Chalmers.
(a) Cut-down cab and boiler fittings for use on Gartsherrie branch.
Some named locos were unnamed at Nationalisation and for various periods
in BR days.
Weight:
Loco 41 tons 19 cwt Driving Wheel: 5' 0"
Tend 33 tons 9 cwt Boil Press: 165lb/sq in NS
Cylinders: Valve Gear: Stephenson (slide valves)
Two 18?" x 26" (inside) TE: 19,690 lb

56323 Ex Caledonian McIntosh

Configuration : 0-6-0T
Common Name :
Designer : McIntosh
Introduced 1896. McIntosh Caledonian "29" and "782" Classes.
(a) Originally fitted with condensing apparatus.
Weight:
Loco 49 tons 15 cwt Driving Wheel: 4' 6"
Boil Press: 160lb/sq in NS
Cylinders: Two Valve Gear: Stephenson (slide valves)
18" x 26" (inside) TE: 21,215 lb

54476 Ex Caledonian

Configuration : 4-4-0
Common Name :
Designer : Pickergill
Introduced 1916. Pickersgill Caledonian "713" and "918" Classes.
Weight: Loco 61 tons 5 cwt Driving Wheel: 6' 6"
Boil Press: 180lb/sq in Su
Cylinders: Two Valve Gear: Stephenson (piston valves)
20" x 26" (inside) TE: 20,400 lb

:claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2016, 01:03:05 pm »
Just off the phone with Colin, next will be another GWR offering, due autumn. As though there aren't enough GWR prototypes on the market already! There ain't many other inside cylinder GWR types, Collet 0-6-0 (already done by Peco) and the Dukedogs, unless he goes further back to outside frames.

I wanna SR Q class or any of the SR 4-4-0s preferably Ex LSWR classes like K10, L11, S11, L12, D15, I'd have to invoke Rule 1 for any of the ex SECR e.g. D, D1, E, E1, L, or L1
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2016, 01:16:45 pm »
Just off the phone with Colin, next will be another GWR offering, due autumn.

Fantastic news Colin; thanks for sharing! Hope it's something 4-4-0. A 'City' or 'Dukedog' would be great. But we shall see what we shall see...

Cheers, NeMo

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2016, 02:08:08 pm »
A 4-4-0 would be very nice indeed.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here