!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Next Union Mills Model will be...  (Read 46232 times)

Offline Portpatrick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
Re: Next Union Mills Model will be...
« Reply #270 on: September 19, 2017, 11:52:37 pm »
So what next?  Within the parameters of simple 060s or 440s, my nice to have list might include a Caley 2F, McIntosh or Pickersgill 440, J37 or J36.  I have produced 3 of those by hacking things, but a nice version would be welcome.

Things do change, but when I last spoke to Colin Heard on the subject he was firmly of the view that he would not be doing any more Scottish locos. I would love a D34 "Glen" and be quite happy to do my own tweaks to detail one of his (plus a chip) but I think he will elect for another region personally - maybe Eastern (GNR/GER) - there are a few classes of 0-6-0 tender locos there worthy of a look.

Roy

Interesting.  Looking at his previous lists and what comes up on FleeBay, I would not have said he had done any Scottish, except I think he did a J38 ?  There has been some North Eastern Railway, the Gresley J39 and Fowler 2P were to be found in Scotland but not uniquely so.  The B12/3 variation was not a regular Scottish performer if at all.  The Director is a possible, and while he went for the English version, I might well go for it if he does another run.  But nothing specifically Caley or NBR those being the pre grouping companies whose locos survived to BR days in decent numbers.    I too would welcome a Glen. Though  I have converted a BHE Claude into a reasonable likeness as I could not source a Hughes kit at sensible prices.  Still he will do what he will do, and that will be what he reckons he can sell.

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #271 on: September 20, 2017, 10:32:22 am »
I keep on ( pre ordering  ) City of Truro from Colin and the last time I spoke to him he said he wasnt planning to do it But Never Say Never were his exact words ,so if we keep on asking he might do it as as several.members have said it is very similar to the Dukedog and ad he has now got the outside frames sorted hes half way there  and if Karhedron  has said it would look nice with that tender then thats good enough for me ,and if Colin does do it perhaps we could then do a bulk order to Narrow Planet for some etched name and number plates to really make it a nice looking model.
Bob Tidbury

I wonder what the chances are of putting that tender behind a City class? Since Bachmann seem to have not bothered in shrinking their City of Truro to N gauge, perhaps Colin would give it a go?

I will see if I can register my interest with him as well, thanks. 

Offline Cape Town Trev

• N Gauge Society Number: 7499
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: September 20, 2017, 06:03:36 pm »
Crowd funded by the NGF?

Two orders only another (now where are those pie charts of Dave Jones when you need them?)

Perhaps Colin would prefer to take all the risk for all the return.

Just putting it out there  :D

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #273 on: September 20, 2017, 07:14:42 pm »
So what next?  Within the parameters of simple 060s or 440s, my nice to have list might include a Caley 2F, McIntosh or Pickersgill 440, J37 or J36.  I have produced 3 of those by hacking things, but a nice version would be welcome.

Things do change, but when I last spoke to Colin Heard on the subject he was firmly of the view that he would not be doing any more Scottish locos. I would love a D34 "Glen" and be quite happy to do my own tweaks to detail one of his (plus a chip) but I think he will elect for another region personally - maybe Eastern (GNR/GER) - there are a few classes of 0-6-0 tender locos there worthy of a look.

Roy

Interesting.  Looking at his previous lists and what comes up on FleeBay, I would not have said he had done any Scottish, except I think he did a J38 ?  There has been some North Eastern Railway, the Gresley J39 and Fowler 2P were to be found in Scotland but not uniquely so.  The B12/3 variation was not a regular Scottish performer if at all.  The Director is a possible, and while he went for the English version, I might well go for it if he does another run.  But nothing specifically Caley or NBR those being the pre grouping companies whose locos survived to BR days in decent numbers.    I too would welcome a Glen. Though  I have converted a BHE Claude into a reasonable likeness as I could not source a Hughes kit at sensible prices.  Still he will do what he will do, and that will be what he reckons he can sell.

I think it was the J38 Colin was alluding to, but the "Scottish Directors" and D20 may well be in the mix too. No, none solely Scottish I'd have to agree but the J38s' survival until 1967 was certainly due to their usefulness hauling coal in Scotland. I guess it may not have been a strong seller, but it is certainly (to me at least) one of his nicer models and scrubs up pretty well.

I suppose we'll just have to see, but based on the success of his GW prototypes who would bet against another - maybe even "City of Truro"?

Regards

Roy

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #274 on: September 20, 2017, 08:04:16 pm »
Recently he seems to do of 3 from the same company, 3 SR, T9, 700 and 0395, now just finished 3 GWR, previously 6 LNER and 6 LMS (counting classes not all the separate liveries) so might we hope of an SR or 3 then 3 further GWR (are there that many more inside cylindered GWR types?) So far the SR types are all ex LSWR, maybe time for some ex SECR &/or LBSCR, plenty of SECR/SR 44-4-0s D,D1, E,E1, L,L1, ex LBSC, Gladstone 0-4-2, B2/B2x, B4/B4x, then there's a few 0-6-0s as well.

My wish list would include, in order, ex LSWR A12 (0-4-2) and 4-4-0s D15 and S11, followed by K10 or L11.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: September 20, 2017, 09:02:58 pm »
The recent BRM article on Union Mills reveals that Colin does pretty much everything himself in house and that his initial production run is 250 units with presumably the expectation of further runs as demand permits. With that in mind he may not have the capacity for commissions nor an appetite for very obscure prototypes. No harm in asking though!

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #276 on: September 21, 2017, 02:35:51 pm »
My wish list would include, in order, ex LSWR A12 (0-4-2) and 4-4-0s D15 and S11, followed by K10 or L11.

That wish list gets my backing. I'd like one of each of those, please Colin.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #277 on: September 21, 2017, 05:10:01 pm »
The recent BRM article on Union Mills reveals that Colin does pretty much everything himself in house and that his initial production run is 250 units with presumably the expectation of further runs as demand permits. With that in mind he may not have the capacity for commissions nor an appetite for very obscure prototypes. No harm in asking though!

I thought the article said 200 with additional runs of 25 after the first lot sold through, but what it doesn't say is if that is per livery variant or in total.

I would agree that there can't be any harm at all in asking Colin if he would consider a commission for a specific model and if yes a costing, taking into account that he only does inside cylinder versions and his design obviously only suits tender locos.

Then if he would, the question would then be can sufficient interest be generated in that loco to make it viable?

Roy

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #278 on: September 21, 2017, 06:43:24 pm »
Problem I can see with that is deciding which loco(s) there were 4 companies at grouping, so finding one loco that would suit adherents of all companies  would be near impossible, I would only be interested in Southern, some would want LMS, others LNER, and others GWR. Looking at the UM list I think it stands at something like 6 LMS, 6 LNER, 3 SR and 3 GWR, we've just had the 3 GWR  so next should be SR (says he hopefully).

Another consideration could be what inside cylinder locos made it through to BR days? It would seem that there is little chance of getting anything that didn't see BR livery. Probably more 0-6-0s  than 4-4-0s on the lines north of London, 'tother way round on the Southern, I can think of at least twelve SR 4-4-0s but only about six 0-6-0s.

Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #279 on: September 21, 2017, 08:29:34 pm »
Hi Mike

A very fair point you make, I would have no interest in Southern or GW, I guess you're never going please everyone.

My wishlist would be a J36, D34, or going into East Anglia a J15 or J17 (Which I think could use the existing Claude Hamilton tender) would any garner sufficient support?

Roy

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: September 22, 2017, 05:24:24 pm »
I'd have thought it's such a famous class of locomotive, and so similar to the 'Dukedog', that there's a very good chance of this happening. Whether the tender would actually be realistic there is a whole other question though!

On the other hand, I am surprised by the lack of kits available for Union Mills chassis and tenders. Given places like of Langley Models still have any number of kits for old, rubbish chassis -- surely it'd be much nicer to have whitemetal, 3D printed, or even etched brass kits that could be slapped onto the infinitely better Union Mills equivalents.

Cheers, NeMo

But nobody wants to rip up a UM loco 8)

Colin also will sell just tenders when he has spares around and that can be handy for scratchbuilds. I'm fairly sure he'd sell someone a batch of tenders for a kit project.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #281 on: September 22, 2017, 06:00:05 pm »
I'm pretty sure he'll also sell the bare motors without the tenders. I've had it in my mind for a while that I'll upgrade some of the older motors to the newer, better ones, with better slow speed control.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #282 on: September 22, 2017, 06:16:06 pm »
I'm pretty sure he'll also sell the bare motors without the tenders. I've had it in my mind for a while that I'll upgrade some of the older motors to the newer, better ones, with better slow speed control.

Yes if you ask him nicely.

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #283 on: September 22, 2017, 06:27:13 pm »
In the past I've bought drives, motors and complete tenders from Colin.  I'd like to know if he makes his own wheels or has them made for him.
Cheers MIKE

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #284 on: September 22, 2017, 06:48:39 pm »
There is a really good article in British Railway Modeling October issue about Union Mills Models and a picture of Colin  in his workshop and the injection moulding machine and mould he uses to make the center of the wheels which then have the metal part  fitted .There are also articles on four N gauge layouts .
For once B R M have done N Gauge proud.I only buy a magazine if there is something worth reading and this one is worth the 4-75 it cost and I will keep this on my railway bookshelf.
It actually took a while to read the relevant articles instead of the twenty minutes most magazines take.
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:51:01 pm by Bob Tidbury »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here