!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Next Union Mills Model will be...  (Read 42940 times)

Offline R Marshall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
Re: Next Union Mills Model will be...
« Reply #255 on: September 15, 2017, 09:24:18 pm »
:drool: This is beginning to whet my appetite! 

Does anyone know if these models can run on a Finetrax layout without any problems, please?

I have 3 UM models which run on the plain FINETRAX, but I haven't built any points yet.

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #256 on: September 16, 2017, 01:54:11 pm »
So what next?  Within the parameters of simple 060s or 440s, my nice to have list might include a Caley 2F, McIntosh or Pickersgill 440, J37 or J36.  I have produced 3 of those by hacking things, but a nice version would be welcome.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: September 19, 2017, 08:11:45 am »
After a GW rush with the Dean Goods , the Dukedog and the 22xx , I guess Colin will probably be heading back up North for his next offering.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #258 on: September 19, 2017, 08:36:59 am »
At the risk of slightly derailing the thread, how does one find out about Union Mills products and current offerings?  They don't seem to have an online presence and whilst I'm not a snowflake millennial glued to an iPhone (too old) I tend to use the interwebz as my first port of call when looking for information.
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #259 on: September 19, 2017, 08:47:24 am »
Adverts in railway modeler  :D

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #260 on: September 19, 2017, 09:07:20 am »
At the risk of slightly derailing the thread, how does one find out about Union Mills products and current offerings?  They don't seem to have an online presence and whilst I'm not a snowflake millennial glued to an iPhone (too old) I tend to use the interwebz as my first port of call when looking for information.

Graham

I suggest that you write to Union Mills and enclose a couple of first class stamps.

You will probably receive the current price list (which is shorter on stock than normal!) and some other very interesting information about Union Mills and its products.

Colin Heard Esq
Union Mills Models Ltd
Unit 5
Union Mills Trading Estate
Braddan
Isle of Man
IM4 4AB.

One word of warning, though.  I found Union Mills models to be addictive and, with the exception of my Peco 'Collett Goods', these are the only steam locomotives I use in British 'N' gauge.

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #261 on: September 19, 2017, 09:15:01 am »
Or call Colin on 01624 852 896.

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #262 on: September 19, 2017, 10:06:34 am »

One word of warning, though.  I found Union Mills models to be addictive and, with the exception of my Peco 'Collett Goods', these are the only steam locomotives I use in British 'N' gauge.

Locomotive crack! ;D
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #263 on: September 19, 2017, 11:21:34 am »
I wonder what the chances are of putting that tender behind a City class? Since Bachmann seem to have not bothered in shrinking their City of Truro to N gauge, perhaps Colin would give it a go?
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #264 on: September 19, 2017, 11:44:12 am »
I wonder what the chances are of putting that tender behind a City class? Since Bachmann seem to have not bothered in shrinking their City of Truro to N gauge, perhaps Colin would give it a go?

I'd have thought it's such a famous class of locomotive, and so similar to the 'Dukedog', that there's a very good chance of this happening. Whether the tender would actually be realistic there is a whole other question though!

On the other hand, I am surprised by the lack of kits available for Union Mills chassis and tenders. Given places like of Langley Models still have any number of kits for old, rubbish chassis -- surely it'd be much nicer to have whitemetal, 3D printed, or even etched brass kits that could be slapped onto the infinitely better Union Mills equivalents.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #265 on: September 19, 2017, 11:50:12 am »
I think the tricky bit of making kits to fit UM chassis is that the loco chassis is integral with the body so although you can drop the tender drive out in its entirety a hack saw would need to be applied to the loco to separate chassis from body. Yes that's doable but getting a nice clean, square cut isn't as easy and would put people off. Of course if a kit came with a replacement block for the drivers...............

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #266 on: September 19, 2017, 11:54:30 am »
I think the tricky bit of making kits to fit UM chassis is that the loco chassis is integral with the body so although you can drop the tender drive out in its entirety a hack saw would need to be applied to the loco to separate chassis from body. Yes that's doable but getting a nice clean, square cut isn't as easy and would put people off. Of course if a kit came with a replacement block for the drivers...............

Fair point. I'd forgotten that the (loco) wheels sit inside the body rather than a separate chassis. But still, you could imagine a kit for the 0-6-0 loco at the front, into which you plugged the UM tender.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #267 on: September 19, 2017, 11:58:18 am »
I keep on ( pre ordering  ) City of Truro from Colin and the last time I spoke to him he said he wasnt planning to do it But Never Say Never were his exact words ,so if we keep on asking he might do it as as several.members have said it is very similar to the Dukedog and ad he has now got the outside frames sorted hes half way there  and if Karhedron  has said it would look nice with that tender then thats good enough for me ,and if Colin does do it perhaps we could then do a bulk order to Narrow Planet for some etched name and number plates to really make it a nice looking model.
Bob Tidbury

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #268 on: September 19, 2017, 12:46:31 pm »
Similar to this was discussed a few weeks ago

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38400.msg458642#msg458642

UM tender drive definitely, but make the loco body, 3D print or resin cast, in the same way Colin does his with a flate base, then add a keeper plate (brass strip) with grooves for the axles again same as UM "chassis", all you need then is wheels with axles live to one wheel, etched brass coupling rods. Bogies if required should not be a problem.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #269 on: September 19, 2017, 05:50:08 pm »
So what next?  Within the parameters of simple 060s or 440s, my nice to have list might include a Caley 2F, McIntosh or Pickersgill 440, J37 or J36.  I have produced 3 of those by hacking things, but a nice version would be welcome.

Things do change, but when I last spoke to Colin Heard on the subject he was firmly of the view that he would not be doing any more Scottish locos. I would love a D34 "Glen" and be quite happy to do my own tweaks to detail one of his (plus a chip) but I think he will elect for another region personally - maybe Eastern (GNR/GER) - there are a few classes of 0-6-0 tender locos there worthy of a look.

Roy

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here