!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: City of Truro  (Read 679 times)

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
Re: City of Truro
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 04:14:47 pm »
It's a lovely model just as it comes but I'd like mine with the red frame. That and a few other touches that Gideon will be doing. I very much suspect he has a few slots booked before me but happy to wait until it's my turn!

Here's a link to a photo that has my preferred livery -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/880/entry-14983-bachmann-city-of-truro-%E2%80%93-a-clever-design/

Dave G

Is this somebody who will repaint for others Dave ?
Craig

I'm sure if you ask nicely and are prepared to be patient a commission may well be possible. I will bring your enquiry to the attention of Gideon. There are several folk on the Forum who do offer help but unsure of where you would post such a request. Anyway, look out for a PM.

HTH.

Dave G

Offline Thorpe Parva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21786
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 06:21:27 pm »
One of my mates has just rung me to say he has only just ordered a City of Truro and Colin has got only a few left .and is very busy dispatching all the back orders so he wonít get his untill the end of next week .
So if you want one be quick as he wonít be doing any more for a while .
Colins next locos to be remade are G2 0-8-0 ,3F 0-6-0, Cauliflower 0-60,2P 4-4-0 and D11 Director which he says should be ready in the new year.
Bob Tidbury
Usual disclaimer, Iím only a very happy customer and have no connection with Union Mills Models.

I already have the G2, 3F & 4P. Could be tempted by another G2 however.

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 09:26:50 pm »
It's a lovely model just as it comes but I'd like mine with the red frame. That and a few other touches that Gideon will be doing. I very much suspect he has a few slots booked before me but happy to wait until it's my turn!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/880/entry-14983-bachmann-city-of-truro-%E2%80%93-a-clever-design/

Dave G

A very nice colour scheme, but what shade of green is that? 

Offline daveg

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 09:53:57 pm »

Dave G

Not sure when trying to match it with what is shown here:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liverieslococolour.html

The main reason for the photo however was to show the red on the frame, etc.

The green on the UM model looks fine to me.

Dave G

Offline Dalek

• N Gauge Society Number: 24836
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 10:53:59 am »

Dave G

Craig

I'm sure if you ask nicely and are prepared to be patient a commission may well be possible. I will bring your enquiry to the attention of Gideon. There are several folk on the Forum who do offer help but unsure of where you would post such a request. Anyway, look out for a PM.

HTH.

Dave G

Brilliant, thanks  :)
Craig

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 02:49:34 pm »
@Karhedron Calling Matt, my go to rolling stock ace.
I've filtered my spreadsheet of rolling stock and have the following 'W' prefix coaches. Which could I use with the CoT in the livery it's in please?

Maroon Hawksworths (Farish)
Crimson suburbans (Farish)
Maroon B set (Dapol)
Maroon Colletts (Dapol)

Rightly or wrongly I'm assuming maroon suburbans and Choc/Cream MK1s are too late?? :dunce:
 :thankyousign:

Offline daveg

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 03:05:31 pm »
I'll be interested in what Matt advises.

I have both maroon and choc/cream GWR shirt button Colletts.

Dave G

Offline geoffc

• N Gauge Society Number: 24557
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 04:10:52 pm »
I've filtered my spreadsheet of rolling stock and have the following 'W' prefix coaches. Which could I use with the CoT in the livery it's in please?

Maroon B set (Dapol)
Maroon Colletts (Dapol)

Rightly or wrongly I'm assuming maroon suburbans and Choc/Cream MK1s are too late?? :dunce:

In the late 50's early 60's City of Truro was a regular on (if my memory serves me correctly) the 7.30pm Swindon to Bristol Temple Meads all stations stopper via the Badmington Line. So BR(WR) coaches of that era would be appropriate.

Geoff

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 04:25:24 pm »

Maroon B set (Dapol)
Maroon Colletts (Dapol)

After COT was restored to main line running in 1957 it ran in the red-framed livery (the imminent one from Colin has black frames and represents the loco in the livery it sat in Swindon museum in, from 1931-1956, but in my view looks smarter) mostly on the Didcot Newbury and Southampton Railway from Oxford down to Winchester Chesil on the DNSR and then onto the LSWR through Eastleigh to Southampton. It also ran around Bristol TM on local routes IIRC. Not used on crack expresses.
I have seen it in a photo in 1957 in GWR livery hauling a three coach rake of crimson and cream Colletts at Eastleigh.
I would think you could manage maroon Colletts on this route (and others) too. Save the Hawkesworths for the top link routes.

regards
Bob

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 04:38:13 pm »

Dave G

Craig

HTH.

Dave G

I too would also be interested to find those who can provide these kinds of services please (not just for CoT).  Perhaps the Forum needs a directory for such people to register. 

Not sure when trying to match it with what is shown here:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liverieslococolour.html

The main reason for the photo however was to show the red on the frame, etc.

The green on the UM model looks fine to me.

Dave G

Thanks, that may explain why the restored 57 livery didn't look like the later GW green.  To me, it looked similar to BR green in the photos I've seen. 

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 05:22:44 pm »

Maroon B set (Dapol)
Maroon Colletts (Dapol)

In the late 50's early 60's City of Truro was a regular on (if my memory serves me correctly) the 7.30pm Swindon to Bristol Temple Meads all stations stopper via the Badmington Line. So BR(WR) coaches of that era would be appropriate.

Geoff

@geoffc I think the problem is the CoT is in Great Western livery so pre late 50s/early 60s, Geoff.

Maroon B set (Dapol)
Maroon Colletts (Dapol)

After COT was restored to main line running in 1957 it ran in the red-framed livery (the imminent one from Colin has black frames and represents the loco in the livery it sat in Swindon museum in, from 1931-1956, but in my view looks smarter) mostly on the Didcot Newbury and Southampton Railway from Oxford down to Winchester Chesil on the DNSR and then onto the LSWR through Eastleigh to Southampton. It also ran around Bristol TM on local routes IIRC. Not used on crack expresses.
I have seen it in a photo in 1957 in GWR livery hauling a three coach rake of crimson and cream Colletts at Eastleigh.
I would think you could manage maroon Colletts on this route (and others) too. Save the Hawkesworths for the top link routes.

regards
Bob

Thanks for that, Bob. As Kimbolted is based loosely in the Oxford area the Eastleigh working would be a good fit

Online Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 05:54:05 pm »
I think I should point out that COT only ever ran in versions of Great Western liveries, even in BR days.
IIRC the liveries were partially related to the number it carried.

1. As 3400 from 1903-1912 with red frames (the livery when it made the first post 100mph run in May 1904).
2. Rebuilt with superheater fitted in 1911. This made the smokebox longer!
3. Renumbered 3717 in 1912.
4. Rebuilt with Piston Valves fitted 1915.
5. Black frames from renumbering as 3717 in 1912 (you can correct me on this) to withdrawal in 1931
6. As 3717 when preserved in the Swindon museum with black frames and pre-war GR insignia 1931 - 1957 (the UM version modelled).
7. Restored to operational service in 1957 as 3400 with red frames and original insignia.
8. Based at Didcot and ran on the DNSR 1957-1961, and also seen around Bristol, and on Railtours at this time.
9. Retired from service 1961.

COT would have pulled typical range of GWR designed coaches in GWR livery to 1931 (not sure when the Dapol Colletts were first introduced), then mostly BR crimson-cream and maroon livery Dapol Colletts from 1957-1961 on the DNSR route, and anything that was available for the Railtours.

HTH
Bob

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 11:13:37 pm »

Maroon B set (Dapol)
Maroon Colletts (Dapol)

Bob G has beaten me to the punch here and summarised CoT's liveries nicely.

This means that the livery UM have produced is for the time CoT spent as a museum piece, not out running. It was returned to an approximation of this livery in 2010 which it carried until it was withdrawn. What this means is that CoT never ran with any coaches you have listed in revenue earning service while wearing this livery. :(

At a pinch you could run it circa 1930 but there are no coaches available RTR for this period (Dapol Collet's are a late 30s design). You could run it with the old generic Farish GWR coaches which resemble older stock but these are not really an accurate representation of anything in particular.

If you want to represent CoT at the time your coaches were in revenue earning service, she looked rather different. When returned to service in 1957, CoT carried an approximation of her livery during her record-breaking run. This included red frames, lots of lining and the classic GWR crest. This is how she looked in 1957.

Are you looking to run CoT as she appeared in preservation or back in GWR days? Sadly she never wore the livery that UM have produced in the 50s and 60s.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Online Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 11:34:06 pm »
When I spoke to UM when I ordered my COT he said the next run might possibly be the post 1957 livery (and therefore earlier livery).
That still hasn't stopped me geting this one, even if i have to resell it on eBay when the next one arrives.
Such is life.

Bob

PS Didnt know i was so good at GWR LOL - same as i didnt know Karhedron was so good with LMR AC electrics!!!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here