Chiltern Mk3s

Started by davidinyork, March 23, 2015, 06:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidinyork

Has anyone tried converting Dapol Mk3s to represent the Chiltern power-door stock? It's beyond my capabilities!

The replacement power doors doors are wider than the original slam doors, have different-shaped windows, and are set in from the coach ends whereas the slam doors wrapped around the corner. Also, the gangway doors have been removed, and replaced with glass sliding doors - as is clearly visible if a coach is removed from its set. On the coach nearest the loco, a steel plate is bolted over the outside of the glass doors.

The buffets would be even more of a challenge - when they were first refurbished for Wrexham and Shropshire the window arrangement was significantly altered, and Chiltern have had them modified with power doors, but at the saloon end only (apparently the kitchen counter was too close at the other end, and they wanted to avoid additional significant internal work).

alibuchan

I have looked in depth at these and was looking to try a 3d print body for it.

I am trying at the moment at gain access to a set on a Sunday when they are not working. It shouldn't be an issue but I do have contacts on the inside (me!).

But I think it will be summer before I can do any real work on the cad drawings once I have sorted out a few other projects that I'm working on first.

Alistair

davidinyork

Quote from: alibuchan on March 24, 2015, 11:01:05 AM
I have looked in depth at these and was looking to try a 3d print body for it.

I am trying at the moment at gain access to a set on a Sunday when they are not working. It shouldn't be an issue but I do have contacts on the inside (me!).

But I think it will be summer before I can do any real work on the cad drawings once I have sorted out a few other projects that I'm working on first.

Alistair

I would certainly be interested to hear of any news on this when it happens. Is your plan to design it to use parts from the Dapol coach (interior, glazing, bogies)? As I'm sure you know, the roof on the Dapol models is technically wrong for the Chiltern coaches as they are Mk3as and therefore have different ventilators (the Dapol model is correct for HST trailers and MK3b LHCS).

robert shrives

hi, I have a Dapol MK3 part done for the RFM version - not that bad but work to do to get into the painting stage.
I think Adam Warr at Electra has overlays for a conversion.
A straight print on to a Dapol shell would not be that convincing I think so a 3D body shell looks a good way forward , CMA in Birmingham do a very good resin casting service so if demand shows itself a resin print and swapping parts from a donor Dapol shell might well be a good way forward. I am sure If you have the right contacts getting info to Steve Railtec would see suitable decals fairly quickly and a good job at a good price !
More strength to your elbow
Robert .   

alibuchan

I'm sure if my boss will give me some access to the coaches on a Sunday all of the information and decoration shouldn't be an issue. Just got to get him to agree to it ;)

Alistair

Adam1701D

I do indeed produce vinyls to convert the Farish Mk3s into the new Chiltern power-door conversions, with enough coaches to do a complete set, including the Buffet First conversion. The only downside of my vinyls is that they are grey rather than silver due to the limitations of the printing process.

If anyone fancies having a go at converting Dapol coaches, I could produce the power doors as individual items, along with any other livery elements - these would be on thin vinyl with clear backing.

Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

woodbury22uk

Adam, How would clear vinyl work of a silver painted body. All the livery elements on clear for the  complete bodyside with the windows cut out wouls seem to offer a solution.

Probably a challenge to get the silver looking suitably metallic without the graininess of many metallic colours.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

acko22

I would put my name down for some resin sides for donor coaches, the only little question I have is what about the DVT as the body work is different with what looks like some kind of large grill on the side!.

If anyone has looked at or tried that conversion of a DVT it would be interesting to read, and then completes the rake.
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

woodbury22uk

The grilles are the air cooling intakes I think for the auxiliary generator intended to be used in terminal stations to avoid having to run the Class 67 (or soon the Class 68) with the fuel consumption and exhaust gases at a higher level. Oddly though at Marylebone the DVT is marshalled next to the concourse under the overall roof so the exhaust fumes can still gather. Can't see that it would be a solution at Snow Hill (fully covered) or Moor Street (no overall canopy), so would seem better to have the 67/68 at the south end but shut down at Marylebone.

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

acko22

Thanks for that insight Mike,

Lie they say everyday is a school day!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

davidinyork

Quote from: acko22 on March 25, 2015, 05:34:37 PM
I would put my name down for some resin sides for donor coaches, the only little question I have is what about the DVT as the body work is different with what looks like some kind of large grill on the side!.

If anyone has looked at or tried that conversion of a DVT it would be interesting to read, and then completes the rake.

The DVTs have a generator fitted in them, hence the grills.

Don't forget that as of next week or so, if you are modelling the present, class 68 locos will be needed! Dapol are producing these in both OO and N gauges, but yet haven't said what liveries they are doing them in (there are three possible to go at already) but it seems pretty likely that they will do Chiltern livery.

acko22

Dave,

Lets get the actual models before we worry about the livery's, well all know from been announced to been made can be delayed to say the least!

davidinyork

Quote from: woodbury22uk on March 25, 2015, 06:04:18 PM
The grilles are the air cooling intakes I think for the auxiliary generator intended to be used in terminal stations to avoid having to run the Class 67 (or soon the Class 68) with the fuel consumption and exhaust gases at a higher level. Oddly though at Marylebone the DVT is marshalled next to the concourse under the overall roof so the exhaust fumes can still gather. Can't see that it would be a solution at Snow Hill (fully covered) or Moor Street (no overall canopy), so would seem better to have the 67/68 at the south end but shut down at Marylebone.

I believe the issue was more complaints about the noise from the Class 67s rather than fuel consumption - those 2-stroke engines do make quite a row!

davidinyork

Quote from: acko22 on March 25, 2015, 06:14:17 PM
Dave,

Lets get the actual models before we worry about the livery's, well all know from been announced to been made can be delayed to say the least!

Apparently Dapol have scanned one of the real locos, so they are on with it! Don't think they've given a projected delivery date - which is probably wise given how these things tend to go! Let's hope they do as good a job as they have with the 67.

Adam1701D

I've got a feeling that the Class 68 may be leapfrogging the queue of Dapol releases. It's shaping up into an interesting class of locomotives, with DRS, Chiltern and now Scotrail Saltire-liveried locos to choose from.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations