Can I swap wheels

Started by 1936ace, March 09, 2014, 04:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1936ace

Hi all,
It has been suggested to me that I swap my plastic peco wheels on my wagons over to metal ones.
Can I just replace them with farish wheels or do I need to do something special
Regards
Bart

Bealman

Apart from adding a bit of weight and possibly not picking up as much muck, I don't see a lot of point - what reason were you cited, please Bart?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

1936ace

G'day mate
I was advised that they would run better, add some weight a d not muck the rack up with dirt grime etc
But I have peco wagons since I was a little kid and never really noticed anything. On a side not I have the new farish wagon wagons and they run as if there is a brick sitting on top
Just wanted to ask as I have we'll over 200 wagons and did not want to do it if it did not make a big difference , especially at around$1.20 per wagon
Met a couple of your fellow southerners from the gong today at our 5 inch club birthday run. She was driving a little 040 blowfly and he was driving a 460 hall? Class
Thanks Bart

Bealman

Hi Bart,

My connections with the live steam mob here are not strong, but I will ask those I do know.

Regarding your metal wheels query, I too have many Peco wagons, and in the old days preferred the plastic wheels to the Farish metal ones, as I always thought they drew attention to the oversized flanges - especially on goods wagons.

George

1936ace

Yeh I might just stick with what I know and works
Thanks mate
Bart

EtchedPixels

I've swapped them on some of my wagons and they do seem to be happier that way and to all stay cleaner.  The Peco axles are a tiny bit shorter than most of the metal axles so you may have to gently tweak the axle boxes.

The main ones I did were HAA and CDA hoppers because Peco supply them with wagon wheels but they had 3'7 wheels not 3' ones.

Alan

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Vanders

Farish wheels are not a drop-in replacement for Peco wheels. However, the 6.2mm Parkside Dundas ones are. Just be careful with the back-to-backs on the PD wheels, as they tend to be all over the place as they come from the packet.

PLD

The other reason to change them is that the flanges of the Peco plastic wheels are too thick for the flangeways of finer trackwork and the back to back too narrow and not changeable. (they are marginal for Peco code 55 track!)

I'd agree with Vanders' recommendation of Parkside Dundas wheels which come in disk, holed disk and two styles of spoked wheels.

ParkeNd

The Park Dundas wheels sound like a good idea. My few Peco wagons run nowhere near as well as metal wheels. The other day one was lifting and bumping as it ran past in a rake of otherwise metal wheeled wagons. The plastic wheels were the only ones that had attracted a bit of pullover fluff - and it wasn't easy to remove either.

If adding a bit of weight and attracting less muck are not good reasons for changing from plastic wheels to metal wheels what is?

AndyGif

I think I've done all my peco wagons now, they seem a lot happier, less muck thats for sure.

When I rewheeled the railway gun with pd wheel I found that some of them shed their tyres when trying regauge the wheels back to N standards, some of the axles had to have the wheels moved a lot to get axle into the railguns boggie moldings and then moved back.

1936ace

I'm on the train going to work so access to the net is ra Dom but are the pd wheels a workable the nags and how much are they
Thanks bart

Bealman

Say that in English when you get to work, Bart.  ;D :thumbsup:

1936ace

Got to love auto text on a small iPhone with fingers like paint lids on a bumpy train. Anyway where do I get the pd wheels from and how much
Bart

Vanders

Quote from: 1936ace on March 10, 2014, 10:19:41 AM
Got to love auto text on a small iPhone with fingers like paint lids on a bumpy train. Anyway where do I get the pd wheels from and how much

You can order them directly from Parkside Dundas (the link I gave in my post above). If you buy them by packs of 20 (£13.95) they come out to around 69p per. axle.

1936ace

Thanks for that link. just been on the site. Price adds up quick just A$250, but worth it im told.
i think i will do maybe five bags per order so i wont get in trouble
bart

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations