!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase. - Japanese N  (Read 36230 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase. - Japanese N
« Reply #345 on: June 02, 2018, 07:41:58 am »
Demolish the priory on Dunmail Raise, replace with pagoda, rebuild Castle Eden in Japanese style, and finish the town of Beal with multiple platforms for Shinkansens.....   :hmmm:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #346 on: June 02, 2018, 10:19:36 am »
Terrific plan.

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #347 on: June 02, 2018, 10:38:58 am »
It would certainly improve running!

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #348 on: June 03, 2018, 02:05:12 pm »
Well, after the excitement of meeting Bealman it's back to the endless grind of sourcing very reasonably-priced second-hand Japanese N gauge in excellent condition on Yahoo Auctions. It's a hard job but someone has to do it...

Here we see a 115 series (right), on the cusp of retirement, passing a 211 series (a late JNR design, cascaded from elsewhere on the JR East network) passing each other somewhere on the Chuo Line west of Tokyo, probably in early 2014.

Both Kato models, a few years old, but arrived in as-new condition, like they'd just been bought new from the shop.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #349 on: June 11, 2018, 12:46:30 pm »
Well, after another arduous weekend hitting the auction sites, an expansion to the loco-hauled passenger stock fleet in the form of this 4-coach "Saloon Express Tokyo" rake, one of the many excursion trains converted in the 1980s from surplus coaches. This model is by Kato and dates from some time between 1983 (when the prototype was introduced) and 1987 (when Kato changed their logo and packaging). A nice model which has stood the test of time well, which is more than can be said about the current owner, and only about a fiver each. There's even directional lighting on the end cars.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 01:36:34 pm by railsquid »

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #350 on: June 17, 2018, 02:53:27 am »
Another week, another "Azusa"... This time from Tomix, one of their "High Grade" models and very nice it is too. Didn't expect to win this one, put in a bid at the very non-"High Grade" opening price and no-one else joined in the fun.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #351 on: July 06, 2018, 01:54:30 am »
Hello Japanese modellers,

I've not yet joined your number, but here is an announcement from PWRS of the upcoming release of the Kato Seven Stars passenger train set. Looks pretty nice and might be of interest to some of you.

https://www.pwrs.ca/announcements/view.php?ID=14667

I'm not spruiking PWRS with this though I do get the majority of my North American stuff from them. Note that Model Train Plus in Japan, who posts on this forum, shows this set on one of their brochures:

https://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/pre-order

Webbo

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #352 on: July 29, 2018, 01:35:25 am »
Shock, horror, Railsquid buys brand-new Japanese locomotive. Well I did wander into the main Tomix store in Omiya, just outside Tokyo, where one Does Not Buy Trains as they're usually sold at full RRP, though they do sometimes have scenic bits on sale, and this time a display rack of actual trains at quite new prices, now being a disciplined person I restrict purchases to trains which have actually run on the lines I pretend to model, so it was no trouble thanks to the wonders of the internet and portable devices to rustle up an excuse to acquire this EF65-500 series locomotive at less than half of RRP:

upon which I then spent a merry couple of hours with tweezers, a scalpel, a pin vise with 0.5 and 0.6 mm bits, and various other tools I have fortunately acquired over the years, to add all the extra bits starting with the numbers, which are a pain to apply on the cab ends, but I guess that's one reason why Japanese locos are cheaper than the equivalent British ones.

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #353 on: July 29, 2018, 01:43:46 am »
That's a really nice looking locomotive, Ian. Bet it's a sweet runner, too!  :thumbsup:

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #354 on: July 29, 2018, 04:41:10 am »
That's a really nice looking locomotive, Ian. Bet it's a sweet runner, too!  :thumbsup:

Runs just fine  :thumbsup: (I do have one Tomix locomotive purchased new which I've never been very happy with, I suspect it's either a rare lemon or just a slightly older design, but apart from that all other recent Tomix locos have been beautiful runners).

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #355 on: August 27, 2018, 03:25:56 pm »
My lonely vigil down in the seedier parts of Yahoo Japan's auction site continues, it's a hard job but someone has to do it, a recent rummage in the bargain basement of lesser wanted MicroAce items brought these two into the light of day:

On the left, a 209-500 series EMU dating from 2003, one of MicroAce's earlier models and it's OK but it's a tricky prototype and they didn't get some of the curves quite right, and the doors are too deep (Kato and Tomix have more recent and accurate models) but it's not as bad as I expected and looks passable when running. Also it was dirt cheap :D

On the right, a Tokyo Metro Tozai Line 5000 series, a much better and recent model dating from 2011, usually these go for mildly eye-watering prices as MicroAce is the only manufacturer, but this one came at quite a discount due to dirt on the roof of one of the cars, which turned out to be what looks like an iffy weathering job - it kind of looks OK in the picture but whatever it is hasn't been fixed into place and doesn't look good when views from above (it even came with a fingerprint). Fortunately it wipes off easily.

Both trains will have been in service in the depicted form on the same stretches of line between 2004 and 2007.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 03:28:09 pm by railsquid »

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #356 on: September 03, 2018, 04:55:53 pm »
I suppose I'd better keep this thread alive... another olde-style "electric kettle" (as they are sometimes referred to in Japanese), this time an EF10 from MicroAce, can't remember off-hand how little I paid for it, but in very good condition (though it is a MicroAce locomotive, so it's a bit on the rattly side).

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #357 on: September 07, 2018, 04:51:28 pm »
Well someone has to keep hoovering up the cheap Japanese locomotives in good condition... Here a Tomix EF81:

The EF81 is a dual-voltage passenger/freight locomotive first introduced in 1968, though a few were built as late as 1989. Declining in numbers, the class is mainly used on freight duties.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #358 on: September 09, 2018, 04:30:02 pm »
Tootle-pip, me again!

With a rhetorical question - what country would design an entire class of EMU especially for schoolchildren? Or more precisely to facilitate trips between the current and historical capitals, which form an important part of the school curriculum? Why, Japan of course, which created this brightly-coloured 155 series in the late 1950s for precisely this purpose:

Bit of a Rule 1 / at that price it would be rude not to kind of purchase, for this is an early-ish (ca. 2000) MicroAce model which needs a bit of fettling to run reasonably, but I've spent more on a single British coach, so mustn't complain. Moreover, the cab of a very similar train (for anyone taking notes actually a 167 series in the same livery) is on display at the Railway Museum in Omiya, just north of Tokyo (think NRM in York) and ca. every 6 months I take the Squidlet there:

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #359 on: September 09, 2018, 06:04:54 pm »
Reports are coming in that there is beginning to be a countrywide shortage of secondhand N Gauge locos in Japan. :o

Preliminary investigations - requiring only the reading of a recent series of posts ;) - suggests the reasons behind this shortage may be due to one avid collector and bargain spotter who, it is clear, has a nurtural tendency for the passion to continue unto the next generation.

Long may the bargain buying and the passion continue! :thumbsup:

Great bargains Squiddy - wish I could buy my Swiss trains so cheaply and so often  :'( - and neat pics of the Squidlet. :thumbsup:  I'm a little confused by the numbering on the silver sign he is standing behind though. Don't seem to be consistent in both pics as dates, for instance, if they show day, month and year from left to right. :-\ :hmmm:

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything