!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 37109 times)

daveg, Zaak and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)
« Reply #480 on: Yesterday at 10:51:13 am »
I'm busy with all sorts of things but finding the odd hour to fiddle with the layout.  Still slowly working through my stock box bringing various items up to current standards (latest spec Magpie couplers and 7.65mm back to backs).  Here are a couple of new arrivals.

The N15 has featured on the forum before.  It started life as a plastic-bodied Farish GP tank, but little enough remains that I think I can reasonably call it scratchbuilt.  First time round I ran into all kinds of issues getting the thing to run, and I gave up on it for a while.  But I have now sorted its issues which turned out to be three separate faults all interacting with each other (quartering out on the front axle, one coupling rod very slightly bent, and the end of a crankpin catching on the side steps) and it now runs exceptionally well.  N15s were useful and long-lived engines but seldom ventured out of the central Scotland industrial belt and this one is well out of place at Longframlington.  I have however seen far more outrageous applications of Rule One, and it doesn't look entirely unhappy in rural Northumberland. A North Eastern N10 might be slightly more plausible though.

Coupled to it is a slope sided Diagram 1/100 mineral wagon which have always fascinated me for some reason.  This is a repainted Farish wagon bought cheap, and for which I was amazed to find I had a set of transfers.  They have four-digit or five numbers given to them by the Ministry of War Transport, to which BR added a B prefix.  This one is B4566. They were designed by Chas Roberts pre-war for private owner use, and built in large numbers by various wagon builders as a standard wartime design.  All gone by 1967 and make a change from the usual flat-sided 16 tonner.

I couldn't resist this Ford Thames van in BR livery from Oxford Diecast.  The wheels have been painted black and the whole thing given a coat of matt varnish as with all the road vehicles.  Gloss finish doesn't work in N gauge in my opinion, glossy things just look wrong. I also acquired a Ford Anglia, maroon with a grey roof, just like the one my Dad owned around the time I had my first N gauge layout in the mid Seventies. That's probably enough vehicles.

I can't remember where I read about using wine corks for track cleaning but it has changed my life.  This is a brand new cork after just one pass, on track that had been cleaned about a week previously.  What is this grey stuff and where does it come from?

Richard

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #481 on: Yesterday at 11:10:31 am »
Where do I get wine corks from?

Everything here is screwtops!

Mind you, it is cheap wine!  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #482 on: Yesterday at 11:17:57 am »

They're attached to your hat

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #483 on: Yesterday at 11:19:55 am »

They're attached to your hat

:laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #484 on: Yesterday at 11:20:15 am »
 :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #485 on: Yesterday at 10:39:23 pm »
With Longfram now booked for an exhibition (although not until next summer) I am thinking about building some proper supports. At the moment it is on three 12" tall trestles on the dining table. Straight away I run into the height problem.  For your average adult spectator it wants to be about four feet off the ground, but this makes it inaccessible to smaller children and the wheelchair-bound.  So I had an idea...

Keep the trestles, and plonk the layout onto a sub-board around 5' x 2'6", on which there is another layout running underneath the main one.  This will be a rather less serious affair than Longframlington - narrow gauge (possibly O-16.5) with trains popping in and out of tunnels, and a theme to appeal to children and adults with a sense of humour.  There is a Hobbit-themed layout in this month's RM which is sort of what I have in mind. Rivet counters will probably find little to hold their interest.  Automatic control so I can just set it running and ignore it.  Has anyone seen this kind of thing done before?

Richard

Richard

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here