!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills LMS 2P loco  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Boris Cricket

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Union Mills LMS 2P loco
« on: August 28, 2011, 10:55:31 am »
Hi Guy's & Gal's

As a novice modeller without a layout of my own, I am still learning.  A couple of months back I brought my first Union Mills, the LMS 2P 4-4-0 in red.  I ordered the engine over the phone and 2 days later it arrived. I tried it on my 'test track' (a 30 inch bit of old shelf with Y shape track laid mainly as a wiring exercise for the point motor).

Next day when running it on the club track (Sumware - www.burystedmundsmrc.com/clublay.html) it was obvious the tender/engine were slightly out of line. The tender shifting to the left side by about 1mm. Unfortunately UM had just started their summer holiday so there was a couple of weeks delay in contacting them.

After a telephone discussion with Colin Heard (Mr UM) it seems that the the short wheel base of the 4-4-0 engine plus tender drive does throw up a couple of compromises which are not so apparent on most modellers tracks that tend to have short straights.

Colin suggested several adjustments that I should try, such as adjusting the pigtail position between the engine/tender, tightening the spring on the front boogie and tightening the connecting bar between tender/engine.  He did say that if I was still unhappy then he could adjust the width of the axles, but this make it a bit stiff on curved track.

So next time at the club, with a little tinkering with the pigtail wire between engine & tender the bias seems improved on the straight (the curved section of track being serviced).  Next club night I hope the full track will be functioning and I can try it on the curves.

My interests lie with L&YR (Horwich Loco Works) & LMS its successor.

Any information / advice is welcome.

Boris Cricket

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills LMS 2P loco
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 11:05:13 am »
Hi Boris and welcome to the forum :wave:
There are plenty of UM owners here so I am sure you'll get some great advice :thumbsup:

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 11:31:30 am »
Welcome aboard Boris  ;D

Feel free to start a thread in the layout section and showcase your work, and join in wherever you fancy.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 01:21:22 pm »
 :welcomesign: Boris that was a good move starting with a UMM although not as detailed as the latest from Farish or Dapol the are a lot more robust .
Idid find on one of my Dean goods Locos a slight twist to one side or the other I cured this by very gently pushing the wire back into the tender and gently twisting the rest of the wire into the center over the connector .
It's very unusual to get a problem with UMM as Colin tests all his Locos before he sends them out.Not like the big boys who just test thier Locos on an oval of dead flat track ,then when we discover the faults they modify future batches sometimes.
Bob

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 11:42:33 am »
Back to backs (the distance between the inside faces of the wheels) can be a bit narrow on some Union Mills locos, permitting the 'crabbing' you may see.

There is a range that's acceptable, so it should be possible to open these out to help reduce the problem without inflicting any problems on curves. It may be worth discussing this with Colin.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything