!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills current price list  (Read 29663 times)

Offline Wishmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills current price list
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2015, 11:44:19 am »
Hi Guys,

Other than phone, is there any other way to get in tough with Union Mills? email? Web? etc.

Failing that, does anyone have the most recent catalogue/Price List?

Ta.

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2015, 11:49:21 am »
Hi Guys,

Other than phone, is there any other way to get in tough with Union Mills? email? Web? etc.

Failing that, does anyone have the most recent catalogue/Price List?

Ta.

He does have an e-mail: -

colin.h@manx.net

He tends to be pretty quick replying in my experience but does tend to take odd weeks out occasionally.

Regards

Roy

Offline keerout

• N Gauge Society Number: 21976
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2015, 11:49:56 am »
Hi wishmaster,
Alas I have no recent pricelist, but the best way of contacting Colin is to phone him: 01624 852896  :thumbsup:
Gerard  :wave:

Offline Wishmaster

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2015, 11:52:03 am »
Thanks, but all I get is an answer phone saying he's not there.

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2015, 11:55:48 am »
Hi Wishmaster

There is a price list in this month's RM - was there a specific loco you wanted to know about? I have the RM open on the page so would happily look it up for you.

Kind Regards

Roy

Offline Wishmaster

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2015, 11:59:34 am »
Thanks Roy. I did see that one. I wasn't sure if that was the whole range or if there was more. I realise now that it's a fairly small operation. Have read some good reports so just trying to get more info at this stage. I've also got a lot of 9" curves and they claim all their locos can handle them!

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2015, 12:14:57 pm »
Thanks Roy. I did see that one. I wasn't sure if that was the whole range or if there was more. I realise now that it's a fairly small operation. Have read some good reports so just trying to get more info at this stage. I've also got a lot of 9" curves and they claim all their locos can handle them!

He generally advertises what he has in stock, but production batches are not large and he might subsequently sell out of some.

I have been a customer for many years. The locos are very simple and robust. They were more than a match for old Farish in detail but by today's standards are very basic. There is though much scope to super detail yourself and results of some (Like Dr Al's D20) are truly impressive.

Mechanisms are very simple. Not DCC ready but many have found them easy enough to hardwire a chip and conceal it. A can motor in the tender drives the outer axles via a twin stage reduction gearbox. Pickup is "American" that is to say no wiper pickups, wheels are earthed to axles opposite sides loco and tender (which are insulated from one another). It is simple and foolproof but does mean that the actual pickup wheelbase is fairly short (just length of tender one side and loco the other) and in my experience they can and do stall occasionally on insulfrog points (irrespective of what the ad says). Haulage is prodigious pretty much unbeatable for a British N steam loco. Slow running is average and been well and truly overtaken by the most recent Farish and Dapol offerings. Yes, all will negotiate a 9 inch radius curve no problem but as with any N steam loco are not especially forgiving of poorly laid track in my experience (but that's not the loco's fault!).

Overall they are basic but represent great value for money and Colin is generally careful to produce prototypes that no mainstream manufacturer would ever be likely to do. I would personally say try one. you may well then go back for another!

hope this helps.

Regards

Roy

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2015, 01:14:34 pm »
I would echo what Roy LS has said, I have several of these and all ran perfectly out of the box. as for contacting Colin, I would suggest you do it weekdays

Regards,

Alex

Offline Tdm

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2015, 01:17:21 pm »
I suspect Colin my be away as I emailed him a few days ago and have not received a reply.
I too would like an up to date list of what is currently available and the cost, and I also need some replacement parts.

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2015, 01:26:25 pm »
Colin has a half-page ad in the current issue of the NGS Journal (P84).

If you dont have your copy, let me know what you may be interested in and I'll let you have what detail there is.

HTH

Dave G

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2015, 01:37:00 pm »

Colin's UM locos will handle anything you can throw at them. They have to be about the toughest, robust-est locos going, and will pull as much stock as you can stick behind them. Give him a call in a couple of weeks and have a chat and you'll find him to be the most helpful person imaginable.

He seems to produce some locos in batches (such as those in S&DJR blue) but if you specify a particular interest then he'll make sure he notes it down, and you'll probably get it within a few months at most.

Offline N-Gauge-US

• N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2016, 05:43:33 pm »
I emailed Colin and he sent me a lovely price list and information sheet all the way across the pond. Currently sold out of Dean Goods but expecting a new batch in March in four liveries (3 GWR and 1 BR), so one may have slightly smaller lettering. :) Below is the price and availability list I received yesterday:

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:43:12 am by Only Me »
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Offline kardkits

• Kardkits UK
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2017, 02:16:16 pm »
Does anyone have an updated price list they could show here please, last one is over a year old. thnx

Offline keerout

• N Gauge Society Number: 21976
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2017, 12:35:42 am »
!Bump!
Gerard

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes