!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills current price list  (Read 28516 times)

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Union Mills current price list
« on: September 18, 2013, 03:29:40 pm »
This is the August 17th list No 70, as members get more up to date lists could they post in this thread

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills current price list
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 05:36:12 pm »
This is the August 17th list No 70, as members get more up to date lists could they post in this thread

Each and every one of those loco's is a bargain, the 0-8-0's are the best of the bunch - smooth, powerful and trundle round a 9" curve like it isn't there. Detail is a bit basic, but even the manufacturer suggests you should detail and weather it... could you imagine Farish or Dapol saying that ? 

Highly recommended !  :thumbsup:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 07:37:19 pm »
Each and every one of those loco's is a bargain, the 0-8-0's are the best of the bunch - smooth, powerful and trundle round a 9" curve like it isn't there. Detail is a bit basic, but even the manufacturer suggests you should detail and weather it... could you imagine Farish or Dapol saying that ? 

For most UM I renumber (or ask Colin for un-numbered ones) I also add vac pipes, lamp irons and in some cases remove the coupling rods and file to slim them down a bit. I've now got some SR head code discs awaiting painting  I don't normally go as far as handrails though.

The 0395 has the same tender as the T9 and 700 which are Drummond type, so a few tweaks needed there, not a perfect Adams one, but recognisable.

For the T9 I asked for a loco in primer as I intended a major hack with a milling machine and Colin obliged giving a slight reduction even. I also use his tender drives to power some kit and scratch built locos.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 10:09:51 pm »
I saw some UM locos in action at TINGS and was impressed by how well they ran.  I'd like to add a Union Mills engine to my collection but my main interest is BR Western Region.  Maybe I could sneak in a 2P or 7F?

Does anyone know if it is easy/possible to fit Dapol magnetic couplings to these locos?

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:38:04 pm »
Keep a lookout for a non runner GWR 4-6-0 with dead motor or split gears, a PD Marsh  kit and a UM tender drive, strip the Farish motor off leaving just the chassis to put under the Marsh loco body kit, put the UM tender drive into the Marsh tender body. Marsh do a few  GWR loco kits

Moguls, Grange, Manor, Star and County

http://www.pdmarshmodels.com/product_list.php?gauge=%27N%27&cat2=%2710%27

Alternatively retain the Farish loco body and just get a P D Marsh tender 3,500 or 4,000 gallon to suit the loco and fit the UM drive. You probably need to use the Farish tender underframe/axle boxes as the P D Marsh body expects to fit on a Farish tender chassis. pick up the electrical feed from the wheels on the same side of the loco as the tender has tyres.

Reason for using the Marsh kit tender is for the weight, you may be  able to fit it in the Farish tender body, but pulling power would be reduced

To reduce friction on the loco wheels to a minimum remove the now unused pick ups.
Cheers MIKE

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 01:21:46 pm »
I saw some UM locos in action at TINGS and was impressed by how well they ran.  I'd like to add a Union Mills engine to my collection but my main interest is BR Western Region.  Maybe I could sneak in a 2P or 7F?

A T9 made it to Birmingham .. admittedly only ever once 8)

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 02:46:52 pm »
A T9 made it to Birmingham .. admittedly only ever once
???????????

Acording to Bradley in "The Drummond Greyhounds of the LSWR" (Page 89) Bournemouth shed between 1925 and 1930 rostered T9s for cross country turns to GWR territory via Reading "this regularly took one of Bournemouth's engines as far north as Birmingham Show Hill with loads between 8 and 11 bogie coaches" On Saturday July 28 1926 288 had the main 10 coach train, followed by 118 with a further 7 coaches of GWR stock. Also  for some years 285 713/27/9 daily worked between Salisbury and Bristol,  and up to WW2 T9s frequently took Excursions to Weston Super Mud.
Cheers MIKE

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 03:03:18 pm »
That I didn't know about - but the case I was referring to was in BR days. I didn't know it occurred pre BR and to timetable.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline mr bachmann

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 04:09:47 pm »
I see the recent add in Railway Modeler shows last times new loco , shame realy ?

alan

Offline painbrook

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 05:21:46 pm »
I see the recent add in Railway Modeler shows last times new loco , shame realy ?
Lost me there Alan. Cheers john.

Offline keithfre

• N Gauge Society Number: 5036
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 06:41:49 pm »
Lost me too!

Offline MikeDunn

• N Gauge Society Number: 21391
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 07:18:14 pm »
Well, every word is in English ... OK, nearly every word  ::)

But yes, I'd like a translation too

Offline painbrook

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 06:30:28 pm »
Come on Alan, what was your point?. Cheers john.

Offline Agrafarfan

• N Gauge Society Number: 23342
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 07:09:30 pm »
I didn't realise they are metal die cast models, good value. Their advert in the Railway Modeller magazine advertises 2 of them on page 52a. I think you can only buy them by phone though.

I think I might get one 1 of these days.

Ian

Offline Agrippa

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 12:56:33 am »
I bought mine by phone , sent a cheque. very straightforward and quick service, I think you can also  do it
by credit card, proprietor is most friendly and efficient. You can't have too many UM locos!
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here