!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills detailing  (Read 14128 times)

Online Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills detailing
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2015, 11:54:18 am »
Apologies Peter my intent was to tease (failed). Might I add another line that was special, The Waverly Line. john.

Agreed, a line I have had an interest in for many years, and made a small portable layout based on Whitrope Siding.

Regards

Roy

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2015, 05:20:27 pm »
great looking layout have you got any more pictures?

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2015, 07:25:56 pm »

Hi Paul

Thanks for your kind words.

Here are a couple more: -

The layout is really all about the trains as it was a pretty desolate place with few buildings apart from the signal box and a couple of cottages.

Ironically (considering the thread) UM locos have never featured much on the layout. I might possibly justify a D20 or a J38 but I keep praying that one day Mr Heard can be persuaded to do a "Glen" (which given the layout is now DCC I would need to get chipped!

Regards

Roy

Offline painbrook

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2015, 07:58:54 pm »
and very nice too.
 two questions for you. what's happening at tuther end of your layout and what's the name of the 'bobby' in the box?. ;D. cheers john.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2015, 09:20:25 pm »

Hi Paul

Roy

it looks great to me, I would like to hear more about the layout and its stock

The layout is really all about the trains as it was a pretty desolate place with few buildings apart from the signal box and a couple of cottages.

Ironically (considering the thread) UM locos have never featured much on the layout. I might possibly justify a D20 or a J38 but I keep praying that one day Mr Heard can be persuaded to do a "Glen" (which given the layout is now DCC I would need to get chipped!

Regards

Roy

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2015, 09:31:34 pm »
and very nice too.
 two questions for you. what's happening at tuther end of your layout and what's the name of the 'bobby' in the box?. ;D. cheers john.

Hi Painbrook

A fair question!

At the other end of the layout in reality it would curve up through a deepening cutting towards Whitrope Tunnel, but on this little layout which measures only 7ft x 2ft it disappears through a "hole in the sky"..

Regards

Roy

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2015, 09:43:19 pm »
And meant to also say, there actually is a "Bobby" in the box and a lever frame too, he doesn't get out much so I didn't get his name!

Roy

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2015, 02:37:52 pm »

Hi Paul

Regards

Roy

I'm a big fan of the Waverley route and I've got a recording (Argo Transacord - The Railway to Riccarton) of various classes on that line, including: A1, A3, V2, B1, K3, J36, J37 and BR 2MT.

I wonder if your layout (great rail colour, by the way) includes the "Golden Bridge", which was close by the summit, if memory serves?

Looking at other classes you might use, what about the UM D11 - not as common as the D30s (of which some were shedded at Hawick and used over the Border Counties line), but used to Carlisle, I think.

Regards,

Roy

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2015, 07:03:56 pm »
Hi Roy

No, the "Golden Bridge" was further along, and would have been off scene. My scenic break that end is a representation of a Sheep Crossing (in relief) which in practice also existed further along the line at that location.

Bridge 199 (Whitrope Culvert) is there though, just next to the signal box.

As to locos I run A1s, A3s (including a Dapol one renamed as Waverley regular "Salmon Trout") several B1s (including another renumber job of a Waverley favourite 61244 "Strang Steel") Ubiquitous J39s - the new Farish ones including Carlisle Canal's 64880 from the Eastern Freight set). Of course a range of green diesel including Class 24, 25 and 26 and I must get round to sending my 45 off for chipping...

Rolling stock is a range of typical BR from the time as seen on the line including "Presflos" and I've even made a couple of car carriers with Ford Anglias on them!

I will one day build another in a similar footprint, most likely "Steele Road" but before that I promised myself a M&GN in the 1950s layout..

Regards

Roy

Offline R Marshall

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2015, 08:40:44 pm »
Sounds good - like to see more of it, if you get a minute.

Regards,

Roy

Offline R Marshall

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2016, 10:17:03 pm »
I've shown pictures of these two before, I think, but I made shorter drawbars from plastic sheet and added Ross Pops and whistles from N Brass Loco - finally got round to painting over the amended parts.

Original renumbering and weathering by Simon Howard.

West Hartlepool's pair of J26s pictured near Greatham Beck (well that's what the layout will be called).

Offline painbrook

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2016, 07:29:46 pm »
Clearance for wrong line running I hope. ;D. Cheers john.

Offline R Marshall

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2016, 08:12:52 pm »
No, running tender first - lamped for mineral empties! Not attached in the picture.

However, I must confess that 65747 is in mid gear - I cut the reversing rod from a still photo of the real loco, then discovered from a DVD, to my horror, the the angle formed by the rod in forward gear is an acute angle - ie it looks a bit like a bent knee, not a relaxed one!

So photo evidence is only a help if you know what you're looking at.

Offline painbrook

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2016, 01:48:11 pm »
Stumped me nicely Roy, never noticed the lamps :dunce:. Cheers john.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2018, 10:38:00 pm »
Love those last pics of the Union Mills J26's locos, it inspired me to buy a Union Mills 3f which I have detailed, re numbered and weathered. Here she is on my layout going round the cutting before going under a road bridge.

Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here