!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills locos - photos  (Read 66994 times)

Offline johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills locos - photos
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2011, 08:03:12 pm »
Brilliant loco's - not as detailed as some of Colin Heard's more illustrious competitors but they dont fall apart they are smooth runners and will pull the coal out of the cellar !!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2011, 08:07:54 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum :wave: Let us know what you're up to in the modelling world - we don't bite :thumbsup:

Offline Dave F

• Penny Burton Branch Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2011, 10:26:15 pm »
I've just taken delivery of a J25 and D20 and fell for them as soon as they came out of the box. They're the first N gauge locos I've owned that don't feel as though they won't fall apart as soon as you pick them up. All I want are tough little locos that run nicely and go on forever and these fit the bill. They also fit in nicely with the ex-LNER layout I'm trying to build, so they win out all round. The only other loco's I've been this smitten with are the Grafar Fowler 4F 0-6-0's that have been rock solid for me.

I know lots of people love the big A1's and express loco's but my heart lies with 0-6-0 tender loco's and everything branch line.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2011, 09:31:55 am »
Hi Dave,
Hardly a soul has anything bad to say about the UM models, so they are definitely doing something right! :thumbsup:

Offline BobB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27926
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2011, 04:26:36 pm »
As a diesel modeler, there's not a lot of interest from me in Union Mills locomotives. But it is interesting that there most valued attributes are good runners and solid build - not the level of detail.

Could Farish and Dapol learn from this ?

Offline Paul B

• N Gauge Society Number: 19167
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2011, 06:42:12 pm »
As a diesel modeler, there's not a lot of interest from me in Union Mills locomotives. But it is interesting that there most valued attributes are good runners and solid build - not the level of detail.

Could Farish and Dapol learn from this ?

Highly likely - when an N gauge loco is rattling around a layout, can anyone really spot the exact details that Dapol and GF put on their locos?  My favourite loco I own (until I bought a UM B12 that is!) is my Minitrix A4 Sir Nigel Gresley - now some people say that it is built on a continental chassis, and isn't quite the right size for an A4. My reply would be that it looks enough like an A4 when it is running - and it is reliable and pulls a full 12 coach train, so what more can I ask for?
LNER (and PKP) fan in the home of the GWR!

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2011, 06:57:45 pm »
Couldn't agree more ! Union Mills make superb runners, I understand that there is great demand for their loco's and i'm hoping that they'll expand their range to cover GWR loco's as well - Plenty of 0-6-0's and a couple of 4-4-0's for the picking !

I would very much like to see a S&D 7F, but i do understand the difficulties in producing the valve gear that would make this idea very challenging to such a small company.

I can dream though... ;D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 08:00:08 pm by 4x2 »
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Paul B

• N Gauge Society Number: 19167
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2011, 07:02:17 pm »
When I last spoke to Colin after getting my B12, I asked whether he had ever though of attempting a J15 (his literature says that his father worked at Stratford, and he loves the GER area of the LNER.) He said that it is a loco he would love to make, but the tender is a little too small to get his present motor in - but he hinted that he may think about it in the future...  :)
LNER (and PKP) fan in the home of the GWR!

Offline Zaonite

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18173
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2011, 11:21:17 pm »
I've got a wonderful G2 loco and it runs like a dream. It's powerful too.

The only issues I have with the locos are the fuss in converting to DCC and the electrical pick up system.
Ideally all of the driving wheels should have pick ups on them and I'm sure it would be possible to re-tool the tender to make the coal load a little thinner so you don't need to drill the coal out of the tender to fit a chip! (sorry Colin, it's not really that much of a fuss, just an awkward job)

Otherwise I'm fully impressed!
Free OO gauge card kits that can be scaled down for N gauge use!

http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk/

Offline Mike J

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2011, 11:39:02 pm »
This is my Q2 which will pull the 60 wagon coal trains that the prototype was designed for. I have cut down the tender and modified it to the original GNR type with coal rails. The whole ensemble has been detailed with steam pipes and draw gear, guard irons, lamp irons, sand boxes and pipes, oil boxes, reversing rod, brakes, crew, and real coal. Since this photo was taken, the weathering on the tender has been toned down, the loco has been renumbered and I've put the LNER logo on the tender. My J11, J39s, and J25 have undergone/are undergoing a similar upgrade. All run reliably and will pull anything asked of them. I would recommend Union Mills products to anyone. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/26820-dsc02339jpg/

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:56:14 pm by Mike J »
Duchesses are red, A4s are blue,
126 for the A4, The Duchess couldn't do

Offline Elvinley

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 11:58:07 am »
Looks great Mike. An excellent loco - one of the best UM in my opinion.

Offline brbluewill

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22442
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2011, 02:36:44 am »
Where our songs are challenged we shall sing them all the louder!!!!!

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2012, 11:18:55 pm »
Just did some research on the GNR Q2s (one of the Union Mills locos I have). Seems they were all scrapped by the mid 30s! Mine in it's early BR logo is obviously incorrect. Happily, I don't care :)

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2012, 11:35:27 pm »
just wish they would do a gwr loco :'(

I'm not sure Colin can - they all use the same very neat and chunky tender drive unit, and it's quite big (in fact several of his locos have the wrong tender really in order to fit it). GWR tenders were mostly quite small.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2012, 08:25:17 am »
The Collett 0-6-0 with ROD tender would be one he may get away with but he probably wouldn't want to do this loco because of the Peco one.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything