!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills locos - photos  (Read 67882 times)

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
Union Mills locos - photos
« on: June 20, 2011, 08:42:18 pm »
What can I say that hasn't been said about these amazing locos. Smooth runners straight out of the box. They will pull anything you throw at them and they look lovely with a bit of weathering. Locos will be sent to you as soon as you order and you can order by phone or email.

Photos of these are rare so here are some of my locos:

Southern 700

Super D

Q2

LMS 3F

SDJR 2P

Offline longbridge

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills locos - photos
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:25:40 pm »
Lovely locos, seems to me that everyone loves the Union Mills loco's, wish they had a website so I could buy online from Australia.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Irish Padre

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 10:20:25 pm »
Colin Heard (the proprietor of UM) has customers all over the world; it would be an expensive phone call but in 5 minutes he could take your c/card details and have a loco on its way !! I have 5 of his locos ; only a rigid acquisition policy of 1950s LM region locos holds me back from double figures!!!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 10:24:05 pm by Irish Padre »

Offline Jonathan Clapp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 10:29:06 pm »
Thanks for the pics man, I cant get enough of UM engines.
Icame.jpg
I actually joined RMweb.co.uk just for this thread

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 05:06:30 am »
Yeah I saw that one. There is so little in the way of UM photos on the internet, it's a shame.

MTSI Rail

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 07:49:24 pm »
You guys all know I am a great fan of Union Mills locos - the photos speak more than the proverbial thousand words for these excellent little jobs. It may be of interest to know that having got fed up with a Bachmann/Farish 4F 0-6-0 which slid to a standstill at the sight of a reasonable gradient (1 in 40 to be exact) and that was light engine - forget any load! I contacted Colin Heard and he kinly supplied me with a Fowler pattern tender whreupon I stripped out the Bachmann/Farish motor and fitted the Union Mills tender wiring it up to collect one side fropm the locos and bing! I now have a 4F that works as well as my Union Mills 2f and 3F not to mention the G2 , 7F and the other fifteen UM locos in my collection. (My tastes extend from LMS, LNER and SR pre -BR to the same things in BR transition days)

Offline fisherman

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 08:11:03 pm »
I double head a 2p and a 3f onmt S & D layout....they look fantastic
<o({{{<<

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 09:09:44 pm »
Seems that Union Mills has passed me by.
There appears to be no website - do they have a catalogue etc and do they produce former GWR locos.
Can someone point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 09:29:05 pm »
Strangely there is no website! You will find small adverts in magazines however. Here is some info: http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/456-Union_Mills_Models

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 09:29:39 pm »
You guys all know I am a great fan of Union Mills locos - the photos speak more than the proverbial thousand words for these excellent little jobs. It may be of interest to know that having got fed up with a Bachmann/Farish 4F 0-6-0 which slid to a standstill at the sight of a reasonable gradient (1 in 40 to be exact) and that was light engine - forget any load! I contacted Colin Heard and he kinly supplied me with a Fowler pattern tender whreupon I stripped out the Bachmann/Farish motor and fitted the Union Mills tender wiring it up to collect one side fropm the locos and bing! I now have a 4F that works as well as my Union Mills 2f and 3F not to mention the G2 , 7F and the other fifteen UM locos in my collection. (My tastes extend from LMS, LNER and SR pre -BR to the same things in BR transition days)

Great idea!

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 09:39:11 pm »
Seems that Union Mills has passed me by.
There appears to be no website - do they have a catalogue etc and do they produce former GWR locos.
Can someone point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks

I've never seen anything GWR in the price list. All the models are inside cylinder tender locos in fairly plain liveries and reasonably large tenders (for the motor). That lets Union Mills use a standard mechanism and keep their pricing sensible despite being a small vendor.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Vulcan

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 11:12:50 pm »
My LMS 7F

Brilliant engine. Not the most detailed, but its got a good shape and is very powerful and smooth running.
Cheers,

David

Offline Jonathan Clapp

• Awards

Offline Jonathan Clapp

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 11:48:09 pm »
My LMS 7F

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg247/dieselmechanical/DSCF6511.jpg

Brilliant engine. Not the most detailed, but its got a good shape and is very powerful and smooth running.

dont mind me. just doing a bit of sweeping up.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac147/Jonathan_Clapp/DSCF6511fixed.jpg

Offline Rob H

• N Gauge Society Number: Out !!
    • Awards
Union Mill loco for sale
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 03:53:51 pm »
As a "Newbie" to N gauge, or any other gauge, I read this topic with great interest and thought I must get a brochure and price list.

Earlier today I popped into my local model shop - Frizinghall Model Railways in Bradford to pick up some odds and ends. Whilst looking in the N gauge second hand display cabinet I thought I saw what looked like a Union Mill box and asked the guy there, Sam who has been a great help to me, if I could have a look - guess what ? it wasn't a Union Mill !

He obviously saw the look of disappointment on my face and told that they'd just taken not 1 but 2 Union Mill models in second hand and had just put them on their second hand internet site - Traintraders !

Well I am now the proud owner of a Class 2P 4-4-0 in BR Black ! the condition is fantastic and it runs better than anything else I've got, mainly Farish.

The point to this rambling is not to brag about my new loco but to let anyone interested know that the other one they have is a 3F Br Black and the price is 55.98 and is from the same guy as mine and is in fantastic condition, Sam reckons they've not been run.

The following is the link :-

http://www.traintraders.com/acatalog/000848.jpg

Good luck,

Rob.

oops ! link is   http://www.traintraders.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Locomotives_30.html
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:13:56 pm by robmag »
They say that love is more important than money but have you ever tried to pay a bill with a hug ?

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything