Diesels - It could happen..

Started by cudders, June 17, 2011, 06:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbridge

I think all steam heads try and resist running a diesel but when its all said and done diesels have been with us for over 60 years so its hard not to run one or two.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: oldrailbug on June 22, 2011, 08:58:28 PM
I think all steam heads try and resist running a diesel but when its all said and done diesels have been with us for over 60 years so its hard not to run one or two.

A bit longer than that in the UK (and we were somewhat behind the US on this). The first LMS diesel shunter was 1929 although not terribly successful but followed by some better stuff. Lower power standard gauge industrials were well established in the 1930s.  Railcars were also fairly well established in the 1930s and the GWR railcars are actually at a basic level pretty similar in concept to the 1st generation DMU stock, but without the engine and gearbox improvements tha followed. The diesel prototype program was also well under way in 1939 before the sudden rather abrupt halt due to the WW2. So nigh on 75 years for standard gauge shunters and DMUs in the UK.

Electric is of course much older although often perceived as modern and a lot of other 'modern' things like intermodal are incredibly old (containerised coal handling predates railways in fact).

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

cudders

Well...I got one!  Not the one on my list but at £31 I couldn't resist!

It'a a cracking model..but then i noticed it was pre-TOPs and I was going to do post...DOH! Might keep it anyway  ;D

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

EtchedPixels

Quote from: cudders on June 29, 2011, 08:10:55 PM
Well...I got one!  Not the one on my list but at £31 I couldn't resist!

It'a a cracking model..but then i noticed it was pre-TOPs and I was going to do post...DOH! Might keep it anyway  ;D

Cudders

All gone by 1971, never received TOPS numbers.

Plenty of them survived the other side of the fence as industrials

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

cudders

Yes indeed.. but i was never a purest to be fair.  ::)

Only reason I was going post Tops is for a HST but I can probaly live without one...or maybe just get one anyway  :evil:

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

EtchedPixels

Quote from: cudders on June 29, 2011, 08:19:38 PM
Yes indeed.. but i was never a purest to be fair.  ::)

Only reason I was going post Tops is for a HST but I can probaly live without one...or maybe just get one anyway  :evil:

Cudders

HST is mid 1976 - which goes nicely with an 03 rather than an 04. I'm looking forward to the 03 appearing as it covers a vastly wider modelling era.

Mid 1976 is actually a brilliant modelling date and one I used for the last layout before I moved office and it got demolished. The HST has just arrived, the Westens are still hanging on by a thread, and the class 56s have just started testing, although the shoddy Romanian construction would see them doing little work until they could be fixed up, and later builds being done at BREL and Crewe.

longbridge

Fantastic little diesel Cudders, well done.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations