Spares by the bucket load!

Started by thebrighton, June 17, 2018, 03:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebrighton

I was just having a browse of the interweb to find spares that can be useful for scratch building etc and I had a quick look at Peter's Spares https://www.petersspares.com/peco-peco-spares.irc which got me thinking of how many spares is the ideal amount for a manufacturer to make available as Peco have probably overdone it after Peter's Spares bought all their stock.
Just as an example they have 489 spare Jubilee bodies and 3498 tender bodies for a loco which went out of production a generation ago! The Collett is just as bad with 1497 tender bodies available.
It wouldn't surprise me if the number of some of the spares actually exceeds how many locos they sold. Whoever ordered the vacuum pipes definitely got it wrong as there are still 20997 in stock. I don't think I'll need to get my order in too quickly!

Jerry Howlett

Pity the poor personage who had to count them all!   :D :D

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

railsquid

Hmm, having acquired a somewhat decrepit Peco Jubilee I might be able to make use of some of those...

Dorsetmike

I note there are no Jubilee tender chassis, probably the most common failure.  No loco chassis either, they fit the BHE N15 King Arthur kit with a bit of fiddling.  A complete loco body and chassis can also be hacked into a passable Lord Nelson with a bit of filing and filing (wonder if Mr Price is having conniptions at the thought of hacking a Jubilee)
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

thebrighton

Quote from: Dorsetmike on June 17, 2018, 04:10:55 PM
I note there are no Jubilee tender chassis, probably the most common failure.
There are and I've ordered a couple as they had a habit of falling apart.
https://www.petersspares.com/peco-02920-jubilee-loco-tender-sub-chassis-n-gauge-prior-2007.ir

paulprice

Quote from: Dorsetmike on June 17, 2018, 04:10:55 PM
I note there are no Jubilee tender chassis, probably the most common failure.  No loco chassis either, they fit the BHE N15 King Arthur kit with a bit of fiddling.  A complete loco body and chassis can also be hacked into a passable Lord Nelson with a bit of filing and filing (wonder if Mr Price is having conniptions at the thought of hacking a Jubilee)

Evil EVIL MAN

Stevie DC

Thanks for the heads up Gareth. I can see the donor parts for my long planned GNR/LNER J3 coming together now from those Collett spares! :)

Dr Al

I'm not complaining - we too often have no spares for models!

Having said that, some of the more common failings are not available - motors for the Jubilee and Collett (though if you can find a Mashima 1015 or equivalent, it will do the Collett) for example.

Things like the vacuum pipes in particular are ideal for detailing other models or kit/scratchbuilds.

I do wonder if Peter's spares have ordered a blocks of spares in large numbers (in order that the manufacturer will actually feel it worth their while) - they have a stack of diesel co-co bogies for BachFarish models, and the class 40 sideframes are definitely new production, as their fit is slightly different. Also, I do wonder if things like bodies are actually test run shots from the final tooling which may explain why there are a lot.

In terms of holding spares, what does irritate me are those that blindly buy large numbers of spares that they couldn't possibly use, thus denying others who actually do need them - I've seen folks with 10, 20, or 30 Poole design armatures (you can't need that number - if you're burning out so many, you are doing something well wrong!!!), which now have their stocks exhausted at Peter's spares.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

railsquid

Quote from: Dr Al on June 18, 2018, 09:09:56 AM
I'm not complaining - we too often have no spares for models!

Having said that, some of the more common failings are not available - motors for the Jubilee and Collett (though if you can find a Mashima 1015 or equivalent, it will do the Collett) for example.

Any idea what motor the Jubilee uses?

trkilliman

When I recently saw all of the Peco Jubilee spares on their website I did think WOW.

I moved my Peco ones on a couple of years back after buying a Farish one, and I now have 5 Farish Jubilees as I think they are super models.  The Peco ones almost seem to have cult status, understandable really as when they were introduced they were a model many aspired to owning. There is a fluid market for them on ebay and I don't see that changing much, so the availability of spares, some of which are vulnerable to wear, is a real boost for those who collect/repair them.

Peters Spares seem to be growing in popularity, and the Peco spares will introduce even more to them. I have purchased from them a few times now and find them good to deal with, and willing to discuss your requirements.

Dorsetmike

Quote from: railsquid on June 18, 2018, 09:29:51 AM

If all else fails I'd use a Union Mills drive
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Dr Al

It's a Rivarossi unit, commonly used on a variety of 1970s Rivarossi, Atlas and other models.

Are you short of one? I do have a couple of spares I was planning to sell on.

Cheers,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

railsquid

Quote from: Dr Al on June 18, 2018, 11:42:16 AM

It's a Rivarossi unit, commonly used on a variety of 1970s Rivarossi, Atlas and other models.

Are you short of one? I do have a couple of spares I was planning to sell on.

Cheers,
Alan

Indeed I am, the example I have was found alone and abandoned in a remote corner of a Japanese auction site, and is missing the motor entirely. If you accept paypal and can ship to the distant Orient, I would be interested in acquiring one.

Jerry Howlett

I bought one on ebay 12 + years ago. Mint in box and it was located in Canada. It flew back to the UK and is now residing in Italy...  Still mint in box!  One day I will try and run it. 

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Dr Al

Quote from: railsquid on June 18, 2018, 03:12:28 PM
Indeed I am, the example I have was found alone and abandoned in a remote corner of a Japanese auction site, and is missing the motor entirely. If you accept paypal and can ship to the distant Orient, I would be interested in acquiring one.

We can probably arrange something. If of interest, drop me a PM, to save filling the thread any.

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations