!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Another Arduino starts up  (Read 1050 times)

Offline MalcolmAL

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Another Arduino starts up
« on: November 01, 2017, 05:04:24 pm »
Or does it start up ! I'm not at all sure :(

Prolog:
I decided that it was time to take the big leap forward into (eventually) computer controlling some bits on my model and today a Uno arrived.
But I am confused !

When I did the IDE installation all sorts of driver installation permissions (did I trust arduino srl )  were asked for and given, but that all was missing from the Arduino beginners guide. (which only mentioned arduino cc :( )
Eventually it gave a complete message and on plugging in the Arduino it found and installed it.  ( Windows7 )
A green LED lights and a yellow blinks rapidly continuously ?

Then into the examples and upload the Blink sketch. Message = "Done uploading"
and the same yellow LED is now blinking slowly.

The question is - did it work, is that what was supposed to happen ?
And how do I stop it blinking well blinking !

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 05:05:26 pm by MalcolmAL »

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
Re: Another Arduino starts up
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 05:16:08 pm »
And how do I stop it blinking well blinking
it will blinking well blink until you upload another program to the ardunio.setting pin 13 or the varible LED_BUILTIN  low  turns the led off

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 06:20:31 pm »
And how do I stop it blinking well blinking
it will blinking well blink until you upload another program to the ardunio.setting pin 13 or the varible LED_BUILTIN  low  turns the led off
Thanks, I'll investigate that, looks like my first project is to stop it blinking :)
So the rapidly blinking bit was normal ?? presumably because it started up in an undefined state, I would have expected it to be pulled low (or high) until it was told otherwise :(

I have done some more reading and it seems that arduino.srl is legit and that I have also installed drivers for the Genuino as well.

This is all because I decided that my shuttle track would benefit from IR sensors instead of my mechanical switches. But to do that would need a load of comparators and op.amps, all of which would cost more than a wee micro !

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 06:31:22 pm »
Update :
All is well, if I had thought a bit more I could have answered myself !
In the Blink example there are two digital writes with "delay(1000)" on each for 1sec mark&space,  reducing one to 100 and the other to 5000 changes things a little.
All good, it woiks  :D

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 07:24:26 pm »
I followed some example sketches in the "Arduino for Dummies" book. It's very clearly explained and I've found most things I have made have been from an amalgamation of the basic sketches.

This was my attempt at speed controlling; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIQbftD2hG8

After a few hours I got things moving. My next step will be to start adding sensors and controlling things a bit more.

Good luck on you Arduino journey! It really is good fun once you get the hang of it.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 12:06:55 am »
Almost as addictive as railway modelling!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 04:14:24 am »
Most Arduinos come with some sort of routine already in memory, so it's not too surprising that there was something happening when you first powered it up. 

Let me suggest that you have a look at the Utube videos by Jeremy Blum (I think there are 12 or 13 in the series)

If you like what you see there, consider getting his book.  http://www.exploringarduino.com/
I think that this is probably the best way in to the subject.

Regards, Allan.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Offline Jerry Howlett

• N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 07:52:56 am »
I have bookmarked this one as I am expecting a package of these goodies (ebay) to arrive sometime in December. The delivery time seemed to take in the slow boat from China.

Decided it was about time I tried to electrify my turntable, even if I haven't installed it.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 10:53:16 am »
it's not too surprising that there was something happening when you first powered it up. 
Yep, not surprising at all ! I expected it to be doing something during power on, but then I expected it to finish doing whatever it was and settle down and wait for instructions (like sit there with a green light) But it didnt, it carried on doing its own thing with no obvious sign of when it was ready to have its "Blink" uploaded :( So I had to guess and went ahead regardless.

Then I had this inspiration that there were many souls on the forum who had traveled this route before and could tell me of their experience at switch on. ,  , ,,, you see :)

Online NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 11:02:37 am »
Most suppliers load the blink program when they upload the arduino code to the micro so that on powering up you can see arduino is installed and running and micro is alive and well.  The infinitely blinking led is a calming view.
Not unknown for an "arduino" board to not have arduino installed and you have to do it yourself. Thankfully never happened to me.

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 01:32:03 pm »
Most suppliers load the blink program when

to not have arduino installed and you have to do it yourself. Thankfully never happened to me.
Thanks that makes sense. Yes I expected the Arduino boot-loader to be installed, just not expecting a user prog. My supplier must have uploaded a fast version of Blink then.

All makes sense now (and was all compounded by the unexpected installation permissions )

the slow boat from China
I got impatient and ordered my Uno from a local supplier, not a lot extra actually, only one so it wont break the bank :) -  If it becomes a habit ! then I'll order cheepies ahead of time from our chums across the waters :) Hmmm, come to think ,, are you not in the land of Genesis ? That is a bit cruel, to have to go round the world for them !!  :D

Offline Jerry Howlett

• N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 01:42:54 pm »
Genesis ?  It would be "Land of Confusion" Invisible Touch album 3rd track.. ;)
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 02:46:09 pm »
Genesis ?  It would be "Land of Confusion" Invisible Touch album 3rd track.. ;)
:laughabovepost:
Who
 :D

Offline Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 09:30:02 pm »
it's not too surprising that there was something happening when you first powered it up. 
Yep, not surprising at all ! I expected it to be doing something during power on, but then I expected it to finish doing whatever it was and settle down and wait for instructions (like sit there with a green light) But it didnt, it carried on doing its own thing with no obvious sign of when it was ready to have its "Blink" uploaded :( So I had to guess and went ahead regardless.
That's exactly what happened with me when I got my first Arduino.  For what ever reason I assumed that anything in the machine would 'go away' when I switched it off.  Then the light went on (the one in my head, not the LED this time)!  That would be against the whole concept of the thing - it wouldn't be worth a f&*t if it had to be loaded up each time we wanted to use it - oh foolish me!!!  Now I love 'em...

With that said, if you end up, as I have, being the owner of a few of these things - 13 at the last count - you will discover that they come in different states in this respect.  Some come with 'blink' in the standard config, some in a modified version of the prog. (I don't feel right when they call it a sketch (I don't like the word app either))  Some Arduinos come neket with no pre-loaded test routine.
Personally, I have never had to install the boot loader although I have heard of many people who have had to do this.
Before I grasped the concept of programming the things I didn't have a hold on the idea of the two part programming concept that they follow either - 'setup', runs once - 'loop', runs continually until powered down, then the whole thing  repeats every time it is powered up.  But NONE OF IT GOES AWAY until it is replaced with another prog! It's what used to be called a 'turnkey' system!

One thing that I find slightly annoying is that some of the clones come with different combinations of colours as regards the LEDs on the board.

The next phase for me was finding out that I can buy add on boards to do all sorts of good things (usually at a price that is less than buying the components to build such items).  One example being this: https://learn.adafruit.com/16-channel-pwm-servo-driver

I2C, third party libraries, I could go on forever getting more and more orgasmic and with much drooling!  Best stop here.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 10:11:08 pm »
I've never used a genuine Arduino. The first one I got was a Freetronics Eleven, a clone built here in Australia, and all the rest have been from the Aussie electronics chain Jaycar, which go by the name duinotech Uno, Mega, etc. Neither of these have any problems and work exactly as the real thing.

The other major Australian chain, Altronics, also supply their own clone called Funduino, which is also 100% compatible with the genuine article.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything